BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an OE towbar (Westfalia or Oris) for my 93 saloon. Does anyone have one kicking around, or perhaps have one on their car they don't need?

Thanks in advance

Kurt

·
Registered
50 Posts
dont bother. you will ruwin the car. its a performance saloon. what do you want to tow.
if you have the money, buy another car if you are towing a caravan or something

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have one. It was on my sedan 535i, but is the same as the M5. You'll need to buy the cover though, as that is specific for the M5 bumper
You can mail me at georgek "at" netplus.ch

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Gumball - thanks for your advice. In an ideal world I take your point, but I can't justify another vehicle that will only be used infrequently(we have 4 in our house already, and yes, the M5 is the best option for towing!). I'm towing a lightweight kitcar, so the loads on the M5 will be minimal.

George - I'm very interested in your bar - are you sure it fits the M5 as I believed it to be a unique fitment? I'll email you for further details

Cheers

Kurt

·
Registered
50 Posts
i take your point on the car thing. if you are towing a kit car it isnt so bad. it would look good too. shows that you are into fast cars. now if you were towin a caravan that would be a different matter lol (no offense to caravaners). i said what i said because when people say towing, i think of caravans naturally. its becuase i watch top gear all the time (on uktv people, all repeats) and they hate caravans

·
Registered
707 Posts
I really don't get this, "oooooh!! The M5 is so sacred! You CAN'T tow with an M5! Oooooh! Don't do that!!!"

The M5 is a great tow car. Comfy and well within it's capabilities.

At the end of the day they are great cars, but they're not THAT special!! It's not like bunging a tow bar on a fecking Ferrari or summat!!

Anyway! Rant over!

Kurt, if you get pics of the towbar, send them on to me - I SHOULD be able to tell if it'll fit!

You'll need the cover and clips - cost about 12 quid!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
I really don't get this, "oooooh!! The M5 is so sacred! You CAN'T tow with an M5! Oooooh! Don't do that!!!"
HA HA! I couldn't agree more!

Towbars. Are. Cool! I tow a motorbike trailer with mine, and I'll be using it this weekend. I'll make sure I don't come past Derby, in case I upset Gumball!

Spot the bright red nob:

Definitely (for the Westfalia bar at least), it's the same fitment as all the other E34s, from the luxury 518i to the lowly M5 3.8. Presumably this also applies to the ORIS detachable bar.

·
Registered
707 Posts
AndyE said:
I'll make sure I don't come past Derby, in case I upset Gumball!QUOTE]

Hehe! Gumball - I'll be passing Derby on the M1 on 20th March at around 6:00am if you fancy seeing an M5 towing!!!!!!!!! ;) :cheers:

·
Registered
237 Posts
gumball said:
dont bother. you will ruwin the car. its a performance saloon. what do you want to tow.
if you have the money, buy another car if you are towing a caravan or something
Well, what wise words they are...

hiha

·
Registered
237 Posts
Kurt Ramsden said:
I'm looking for an OE towbar (Westfalia or Oris) for my 93 saloon. Does anyone have one kicking around, or perhaps have one on their car they don't need?

Thanks in advance

Kurt
I've been thinking kurt - cheapest way to buy a genuine towbar would be to buy a tatty e34 from ebay that's already fitted with one. Remove, fit to your car and sell the other e34 on. You'd only have to buy the bumper cover then.

Buy wisely and you could end up with a few hundred notes in your pocket and a towbar on your M5.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Ste - it would be good advice had I not had a change of plan. Apologies to George and others for timewasting. My M5 is now for sale on Autotrader for £6495

·
Registered
707 Posts
Kurt Ramsden said:
Thanks Ste - it would be good advice had I not had a change of plan. Apologies to George and others for timewasting. My M5 is now for sale on Autotrader.....
And I thought I was Mr. Indecisive!!!

So what's next to be added to the Ramsden stable then?

You MUST keep me informed in case I want to copy you again...................... ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Sorry - just seen your advert.

I won't be copying you on your next choice of car I'm afraid Kurt :1:

Hopefully, you'll be able to get an automatic one.....

Mmmmmmm...... front wheel drive.....turbo......slush box......

I thought that was everything you hated in a car????!!!!! :hihi:

·
Registered
50 Posts
AndyE said:
HA HA! I couldn't agree more!

Towbars. Are. Cool! I tow a motorbike trailer with mine, and I'll be using it this weekend. I'll make sure I don't come past Derby, in case I upset Gumball!

:1:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't agree.

Turning up to a race meeting with a M5 Touring as a "tow barge" is the ultimate in understatedness.

Once you have unhitched the race trailer, you will have a M5, not a 525Diesel. And guess which one of those 2 everyone will want to drive?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts