BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that it is tough to drive the M5 smoothly all the time. I'm talking about the clutch/drive train. You have to really pay attention to not jerk the car front to back when starting or shifting at slow speeds. I had the same problem with my 1997 540i sport. It seems that the weight of the car coupled with the torque, clutch, and windup of the running gear, all combine to challenge your expertise to drive smoothly. I also have a 550 Maranello and it really easy to drive smooth. The clutch is more proportional (not hair trigger) and the driveline is much stiffer. You'd think that with all the resources BMW has at its command they could solve this problem. Oh well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I experience the same problem, especially when shifting 1 to 2. It is very hard to perform a smooth shift 1->2. I am getting better and better everyday but still when not paying attention I experience this problem. Although shifting 2-3-4-5-6 smoothly is easy.
Sometimes i have difficulty shifting 1 to 2 gear but not 3 to 2.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It comes with time. I was a lousy driver for the first couple thousand miles. I find my smoothest shifting if I pay attention to engine RPMs. Start in 1st at 1200 rpm.
Practice, Practice, Practice. A few days in bumper-to-bumper traffic will definitely help speed up the process. I also find I do MUCH better with DSC turned OFF.

·
Registered
138 Posts
M5 is my first stick/shift car. I did drive manual gear cars before, but of course not as smoothly as I wanted. I heard many times from other people that is is possible to "burn" the clutch and damage the gear box. What kind of practices would cause such conditions? Also how do you perform a smooth shift, do I need to match the RMP of the engine and the gearbox everytime?
I noticed that when upshifting quickly causes much smoother shift then a slow upshift. When downshifting I found that I need to rev the engine higher then the previos gear to match the engine speed with gearbox. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks in advance.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Albert,
I think youre doing it right.

Dave,
I think that once you get used to the shifting youll be smooth. I was a little rough between 1-2 for the first week- now, its no big deal at all.

ME

·
Registered
302 Posts
I disagree with sveilside. I have found the 1-2 shift smoother in sport mode. To each his own I suppose.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You guys are suffering from all the years of driving cars with automatic trans.Now here in England, where men are men and woman are greatfull, and you can not drive a car with a real gearbox unless you have passed your driving test on one, WE DONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

·
Registered
385 Posts
England - where men are men and sheep are nervous.

·
Registered
417 Posts
First off, I thought it was the Scottish sheep herders that had the bestiality problem. Second, I'm from Dallas, and Texan ranchers are a Marlboro Man-esque tough guys who would have to risk their life wrestling a long horn cattle (not sheep) to the ground before doing the nasty

·
Registered
135 Posts
I find the car very easy to drive fast or slow. There is no problem shifting from 1st to 2nd. The only thing I find challenging is a drag race start where you have to balance wheelspin against time. If shifting from 1st to 2nd is too difficult, try 1st to 3rd, there is more than enough torque when driving in a relaxed mode.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What if:
You make a herculean launch off the line with DSC on, and then toggle it off as soon as you are hooked up to the pavement. Is this possible?

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Im sure it is, but thats got to be a little tough since the button is low down.

actually, this is a little off topic, but Id love to see a toggle switch for sport mode, or maybe dsc or both, on/off on the steering wheel.

ME

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Have now done 3500 miles and gearbox is smooth as butter other than when cold. Had some problems initially from 2-3 when quick shifting but no problems anymore.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
The problem with the launch with DSC on, turn it off approach - is that if it detects wheel spin it cuts you down in a hurry, to a point well below max non-slip acceleration. Turning off late enough that the wheels wouldn't slip any more would be too late.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too have had problems with the 1st to 2nd shift. I really have to pay close attention to what I'm doing even though I have driven many different types of manual transmission cars, trucks and even bulldozers with no problems. I find that my transmission is very "notchy", especially between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. I have about 3,300 miles on it. Will it get better?

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I noticed my transmission was fairly notchy from brand new until around 800-1000 miles. I now have around 1300 miles on it and most of the notchyness has gone away, except when its cold- and Im gentle on it anyhow. My previous M3 was very similar and it just kept getting better- by 15k miles it was very smooth.

ME

·
Registered
417 Posts
Have you guys ever used Redline transmission lubricant? It's lube action works wonders on those cold winter mornings (granted, thats only around 30 degrees F in Dallas, below freezing nonetheless). My Stillen Maxima got tougher to shift after my 40K service, so the dealer added that stuff and man was it noticable.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I had a tough time 1-2 for the first 2000 miles. I just did the Dinan software and that helped, but I find being in sport mode makes for much smoother shifting overall. That is the way this car should be all the time. I hope someone comes up with a way to make the sport setting the default mode.
By the way, the 328 loaner I had felt smooth like butter clutch and shifter. Race cars are going to be a little rough I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts