BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize our Nav units were state of the art in their time but my gosh, the touch screen units are so nice. My fathers Lincon Aviator has a nice touch screen unit. My wife's girlfriend's Suburban has a nice touch screen unit. Ford and Chevy for gosh sakes. I'd love for someone to make a touch screen retrofit unit. Just ranting out loud.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I actually did one on my M5. I am using the Kenwood DDX7015 DVD receiver/monitor, and then sold my wide screen and nav system.

Overall, the cost has been minimal as selling my bmw parts paid for most of this.

I have also installed the DVD Nav system from Kenwood, and other bits and pieces that make it a performance upgrade on the sound and quality of picture.

It's possible...

boostmiser said:
I realize our Nav units were state of the art in their time but my gosh, the touch screen units are so nice. My fathers Lincon Aviator has a nice touch screen unit. My wife's girlfriend's Suburban has a nice touch screen unit. Ford and Chevy for gosh sakes. I'd love for someone to make a touch screen retrofit unit. Just ranting out loud.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My problem with the touch screen is that your screen will have greasy finger print all over the screen and the areas you touch more frequently will look worn. AT leat that is how it is with my friend's Lexus.

·
10,457 Posts
dmz said:
My problem with the touch screen is that your screen will have greasy finger print all over the screen and the areas you touch more frequently will look worn. AT leat that is how it is with my friend's Lexus.
the other issue with lexus (probably a software issue for US cars) is once the car starts to move, you are extremely limited in what you can do with the touch screen. Want to change your destination, pull over and stop. Point of interest, need gas or food, pull over and stop so the screen is active. Drives me crazy. If they're concerned that i'm fooling with the nav while driving, integrate it with the passenger seat sensor, if it's ocupied, let it work... really makes me appreciate my bmw system.

·
Registered
192 Posts
korea_7 said:
I actually did one on my M5. I am using the Kenwood DDX7015 DVD receiver/monitor, and then sold my wide screen and nav system.

Overall, the cost has been minimal as selling my bmw parts paid for most of this.

I have also installed the DVD Nav system from Kenwood, and other bits and pieces that make it a performance upgrade on the sound and quality of picture.

It's possible...
Do you have any pictures of your install ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts