BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHere have you purchased touch-up paint before? I've been pointed to www.paintscratch.com many times before. THey have Le Mans blue available. They sell the paint, primer, and clearcoat in fact. I'm more concerned with quality of paint match, not the application tool (they are popular for their applicator pens).

I've got a few rock chips on the bumper I Want to touch up and a 1/4" gouge on the passenger side lower door. I'm going to touch it up by hand using an artists brush and toothpicks, etc.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I get it all from my dealer - it's not exactly breaking the bank.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Got mine from the dealer recently - about $21 for the two bottle kit (touch up paint and clearcoat)!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I'd just buy the touch up paint from the dealer. But for the application, you might want to check out http://www.langka.com/.

This has provided very good repairs for me.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I use the Langka kit also (Mothers). While the results are generally not quite as "perfect" as I hope for, in every instance it beats the toothpick technique.

·
Registered
512 Posts
KevinM said:
I'd just buy the touch up paint from the dealer. But for the application, you might want to check out http://www.langka.com/.

I just ordered the kit. Wish me luck... I have a few small scratches that have been bothering me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've ordered from paintscratch before, the color matched perfectly. Haven't got one that hasn't matched yet. Bought one for my Jetta, Passat, and my M5.

·
Registered
612 Posts
KevinM said:

Kevin (and others on this Board) - you guys are awesome! Even though I am a car guy and "thought" I knew a lot about detailing cars - I am learning so much from you. I've placed two internet orders today based on what I've seen on the Board - for the Simichrome Polish for my tail pipes - and now this kit to repair chips. Thanks again!!
:M5thumbs: Alfred

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've used Autovisuals touch-up pens on my last 2 M5's. I highly recommend their product for minor touch-ups. Very easy to use.

http://www.autovisuals.com/

Cheers -
Don

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get it from the dealer! It is very good quality and is a perfect match. If you are a BMWCCA member you get a 20% discount as well.

·
In Memoriam
93 Posts
KevinM said:

Just a heads up. Buyer beware! I followed this advice and ordered the Blob Eleminator. It did not work at all on Titanium Silver Metallic BMW Paint. They haven't responded to my attempts for refund and I have contacted my credit card company to dispute the charge.grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

·
In Memoriam
93 Posts
BMW_Jim said:
Just a heads up. Buyer beware! I followed this advice and ordered the Blob Eleminator. It did not work at all on Titanium Silver Metallic BMW Paint. They haven't responded to my attempts for refund and I have contacted my credit card company to dispute the charge.grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr
An update - Langka refunded my money after a moderate amount of hassle.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
What is this " toothpick technique" ?
This refers to the application of a small amount of paint into a chip via a toothpick. The toothpick allows you to control the amount of paint and where it goes much better most touch-up brushes. Once the paint is on the toothpick tip, you put the tip of the toothpick into the chip and the paint will flow into the chip.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Anthracite tip

I've been working on several rock chips over the last week with the OEM touch up paint and the Langka Blob eliminator. I really like the results of the Langka system. It takes some trial and error, and several passes, but if you're patient you'll get some very acceptable results. But that's not why I'm reviving this thread.
My M5 is Anthracite Metallic and right away I noticed that the touch up paint was about 2 shades too dark. The first 2 chips I did eventually came out nice and flush with a good shine to them, but they were still fairly noticeable because the color was off. So I went back to the dealer and got some e39 titanium silver (354). Then i simply put a small blob of anthracite and an even smaller blob of silver on some tape near the chip and started mixing. You need less silver then you think to lighten up the anthracite. Play with it and you will get a near spot on match. The best part is, if you don't nail it, the Langka will erase it. Also, you don't need to mix the first layer or two, just the final layer.

I like to twist a posicle stick till it snaps. Makes a perfect disposable, easy to hold blob mixer/applier.
IMG_5254.JPG

You can see how dark the OEM anthracite touch up is compared to the hood. The second blob from the left was the best match of this batch

IMG_4909.JPG

Reactions: Rontgen
1 - 19 of 19 Posts