BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried searching on "BMW total loss program" and didn't see any leads for free parts from BMW. Can you provide more info? Is it specific repair shops or thru a BMW dealer or something else?

Sorry for the delay. Yes, the program is through BMW's dealership, the guys there are equally as enthusiastic about the car as about anyone on this board, so I'm sure they were pulling strings for me. The program is usually intended for new or leased vehicles, so I'm sure your mileage may vary by dealership.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I tried Clemster's advice last week, asking nicely for the loss adjuster to review my valuation and salvage value. No go. I have asked for the quote or bid they received from their salvager but haven't gotten it yet. This accident and subsequent headache of a claim came at a bad time. My sister underwent abdominal surgery to remove a tumor last week, luckily it went well. She was diagnosed stage 4, advanced, two years ago and so far has beaten the the odds! The Lord is good! I'm currently on spring break vacation with the kids to Burbank and the loss adjuster called again. Haven't really been able to spend a lot of time to put together a good argument against the low value. I know I'll have to as they haven't budged at all via my verbal request for them to take another look. They are adamant about the salvage value as well. I have been trying to pick apart their component valuation which shows hardly any additional value for the great condition of my car. I know they will ask how I came up with my values which I don't have any back-up for in comparison to their "we use standard, industry values from the appraiser". I don't want to go down that route of requesting appraisers and a 3rd party arbitrator. It'll just cost money. So far, I'll be concentrating on 13 years of ownership, excellent maintenance and repair and two other local comparables. Only one of them is the same color and same year but both have 20K more miles. I think they are going to nit/pick every detail I present. In the end, I would be happy with a $14.5 - 15k value. Finally, they are telling me that they won't pay some of the repair shop's fees for tear down and computer scanning. They had to be paid before releasing the car back to me so my insurance has said they will take these fees out of my settlement. More battles to come.

Danial
Do NOT accept any valuation lower than what you think is acceptable, 14.5k-15k SOUNDS LOW.

I just sent you a PM with a battle strategy sort of thing and my personal experience dealing with my adjuster at state farm. (Also if you send me your email address I'll send you the valuation documentation I got for mine so you can see a little better how they process these things). As far as mileage goes the computer program they use to figure it out will adjust the valuation up relative to the comparables. In my instance one of the comparables had window tint and they adjusted my vehicle value DOWN 80 dollars because mine didn't appear to have tint (if you have 3M crystaline 0% tint for example, they wouldn't be able to see that when the field adjuster initially inspected the vehicle).

Documentation of any recent service increases the value of your car, particularly for things like tires, wheel refinishing, replacement parts, etc.

I called a local vehicle appraiser and he recommended not going with him until the insurance company insisted on it, but his quote was 300 bucks; it's not that expensive per-se but if you can get a savvy classics appraiser that understands the valuation curve of vehicles like ours it could be a worthwhile investment to get a 14k car properly valued at 21k.

They will nit pick EVERYTHING, as I mentioned in my PM to you, if you start suspecting the insurance company is acting in bad faith (a legal definition which has a pretty high standard of proof (usually the adjuster not responding to you in a timely manner and failing to disclose things) you can file a grievance with your state department of insurance, every state is different so it's kind of difficult for me to know what it's like in WA. Filing a grievance will create a serious headache for the insurance company and throw up all kinds of roadblocks for them to sweep everything under the carpet quickly.

Don't give up, time is on your side with this- they can't MAKE you settle. Hang in there, it can be a real battle for sure- my car went from an initial valuation of 17.5k and a total loss to a valuation of 21.5k and getting repaired. Even if your car is undeniably a total loss you should fight to get a true and honest valuation, not whatever lowball the insurance company tries to get you to accept.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
OP, bummer.

I dealt with a total loss on an Xterra a few years back with Ameriprise. Obviously this is a much different vehicle, but their comps they tried to use were out of PHX for 2wd vehicles; in Flagstaff, those would never sell, and the 4wd vehicles are priced accordingly higher. I kept saying no to them, and provding them with more and more comps, and more and more maintenance about the vehicle, was was able to raise their offer an additional 30%. So, if you don't need the money right now, fight it out.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
To update this post, Dan is great to work with and I'm having the car done up to be back on the road soon. The meticulous nature he had with this car is on par with the most detailed I've ever seen and it deserves to live!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks

To update this post, Dan is great to work with and I'm having the car done up to be back on the road soon. The meticulous nature he had with this car is on par with the most detailed I've ever seen and it deserves to live!
That's great to hear sir. Glad it all worked out!

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is why my M5 is on Hagerty with agreed (not declared) value. Basically, they help you come up with a value that both parties think is reasonable for the car, then your insurance is set to that dollar amount. When something happens, that's the dollar amount that determines when the car is totaled regardless of the market, depreciation, etc. They have some requirements like garaging it, can't be your daily driver, etc. but I'm no longer worried it's going to be instantly totaled with a low-end valuation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is why my M5 is on Hagerty with agreed (not declared) value. Basically, they help you come up with a value that both parties think is reasonable for the car, then your insurance is set to that dollar amount. When something happens, that's the dollar amount that determines when the car is totaled regardless of the market, depreciation, etc. They have some requirements like garaging it, can't be your daily driver, etc. but I'm no longer worried it's going to be instantly totaled with a low-end valuation.
I agree 100%. I have Grundy and they gave me the value I wanted. They had a lower value at first; all I did was show comparable vehicles for sale and their underwriter agreed with my initial value.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts