BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the rebuild of the new engine and as much info as I get time to add including photos. It will show the assembling of the new engine and the parts needed and any special tools etc.

I will start by adding some parts ordered for the build.

A big thanks to Troy in the USA for his knowlege and help.

First of all the donor engine that has been rebuilt from a 38k miles engine with new shells and de carboned etc.

New vanos post 2005 ordered, new crank drive gear and vanos drive gear with updated teeth ordered.

New Carbon twin clutch ordered

Removed the bed plate to and remove sealant and use proper Loctite resin, whilst bed plate off check for any debress or contamination.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cleaned the bed plate surfaces with scthbrite and solvent as advised by technician at Loctite UK before re assembly and injection of loctite resin.
Took 3 hours to remove the RTV that the engine builder had used and clean all traces of silicone from the groove, s crappy job!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Lucky you. Can't wait to hear video sound clips once completed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest when I had the new engine delivered I thought ah thats easy three days work and it will be done! 12 weeks later and lots of learning and swearing and I am ready to get it done!! lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Replacing the vanos line with the new one from BMW. Then refitting bed plate to block.

Lightly oiled mains and fit bolts with lucas engine assembly lube to achieve accurate torque setting
Tighten 13mm fit bolts to 15lb ft
tighten m11 mains to 22lb ft, then 130 degrees
re tighten and check 13mm fit bolts to 15 lb ft
torque fit bolts 100 degrees
then tighten small perimiter torx cap head bolts to 10lb ft then addtional 90 degrees

All bolts can be reused.
pictures to follow

·
Registered
278 Posts
S85 Engine Rebuild

I admire those of you who have the time, space, skill and tools to take on this task. Keep up the great work. You'll derive a real sense of satisfaction and confidence after the build!!:applause:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some more parts, decided to replace all 10 injectors wirth genuine bosch injectors.
And dont forget to order the o ring with the internal vanos pressure line as it doesnt come with one. Also a new OEM rear crank seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sku 13647834893.
Rmeuropean.com

$34 each

:)
Cheers, I did do some searching last night, and found this website with them for £12 each... This seems way to cheap..

https://spareto.co.uk/products/0-280-158-036-injector

Then I found a few YouTube clips showing fake Bosch injectors!!
Which makes me worried, that I'm gonna replace my injectors with a set that's got even more chance of failing!!

Anyone got any thoughts or guaranteed sellers they can recommend.. ways to tell if they are fake.. am I being paranoid?

M5v10man.. have you used those guys before? not trying to do any scaremongering, but after all the work and money you've put in, I wouldn't want to see you back to square one...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I haven't but I also ordered a genuine oem rear main seal which is identical to the one that was fitted to both my s85 engines . I also spoke to their sales guy on the phone and they wouldn't ship the goods until I verified the amount that they deposited in my account a bit like paypal authentication process. The parts are identical to my originals and they have a massive stock availability so I can't see them being a scam . Their database of part numbers is extensive so yes I would say they are legitimate

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please see the photos of the boxes and you could also ring Bosch and verify the batch numbers etc if you are concerned .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More parts arrived today, ordered new rod bolts, I don't trust the engine builder that rebuilt the engine so I am replacing them with new bolts and doing the three stage torque down per TIS. The engine builder evidently used new bolts but if one of the torque settings is wrong then my block becomes another coffee table so I couldnt risk the paranoya. Safer to spend the £142 and replace and torque the rods with new bolts. A bit anal I know but not worth the risk.

Oh, and a new nut for the oil pump which incidently comes with threadlock applied.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regarding the injectors at 12 pounds each that is also including vat. I would order One and see why they are like . Maybe they are old stock and they are probably not that popular so maybe they are selling them off cheap or at cost .

·
2,487 Posts
No I haven't but I also ordered a genuine oem rear main seal which is identical to the one that was fitted to both my s85 engines . I also spoke to their sales guy on the phone and they wouldn't ship the goods until I verified the amount that they deposited in my account a bit like paypal authentication process. The parts are identical to my originals and they have a massive stock availability so I can't see them being a scam . Their database of part numbers is extensive so yes I would say they are legitimate

I live very close to RMeuropean's office in Littleton Colorado; it's legitimate. Been there many times to pick up parts, which are either genuine BMW (or mercedes) or OEM. No affiliation.

Nice work, btw.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts