BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thought I would post the cost to date-a fun exercise if you ask me!

Bought car (2007) in Dec 2010 52,000
Insurance to date 2,400
Gas 4,680
Detailing products 190
Oil Service 2013 185
DMV Fees & Taxes 900
40,000 mile service 1,500

Total 61,855

Current resale estimate (36,500)

Cost to own 25,355
Miles driven 18,000
Cost per mile 1.40
Or perhaps by day 21.25

All and all not too bad!

So far no issues-car is running strong!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Interesting, I might have to do the calculation if I get a chance. I just turned over the first year with my 06.

I know it isn't that bad since I haven't had any real issues and have only put about 5,000 miles on her.

Thanks for posting.

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
273 Posts
Really your 6 mo premium is only $400?! Allstate has continued to jack up the price year of year on this car. Maybe time to go price shopping... I'm almost double that and totally clean driving record.
You're location matters a lot. By moving, my rates dropped in half.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes through Geico-I do have 3 cars and the house through them as well-maybe there was a discount but I do remember thinking to myself at the time of the initial quote that it was not that expensive-I even made the person read it back to me-making sure he had M6 vs another model.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You're location matters a lot. By moving, my rates dropped in half.
+1, just had a long conversation with some folks regarding insurance costs. I friend of mine lived 30 minutes North of me but moved nearby. His insurance doubled. This was inline with what I have seen, my insurance cost has shot through the roof in the last 2 years, no accidents, claims, or tickets. I am told it is just because I am "in town", I have quoted other carriers to keep mine honest and am getting all the same rates. I was raised from $1300 to $2000 this year alone for my 650. Granted I have 250/500 with 500 deductible, but changing the deductible barely moves that number.

To the OP, you seem to have had 3 years and 5 months of ownership that are problem free, I hope your fortune holds! If you take out the operational expenses, the fuel/oil/dmv/insurance you really only have as a vehicle cost the depreciation and a 40k service. So this means around $414/mth over that 3 years and 5 months. Pretty impressive number! I approach monthly cost of ownership without those operational items since I figure that no matter what car I would have they would be present, more or less depending on what you would compare against, but still always there.

The depreciated cost is hard to determine, I am not sure if your $36.5k is not ambitious, there are 27 M6's on cars.com for sale below that number, there is one with 36m miles listed for $27k with 2 years left on an extended warranty. Anyway, it only matters if you sell! Congrats on trouble-free ownership.

·
Registered
657 Posts
So thought I would post the cost to date-a fun exercise if you ask me!

Bought car (2007) in Dec 2010 52,000
Insurance to date 2,400
Gas 4,680
Detailing products 190
Oil Service 2013 185
DMV Fees & Taxes 900
40,000 mile service 1,500

Total 61,855

Current resale estimate (36,500)

Cost to own 25,355
Miles driven 18,000
Cost per mile 1.40
Or perhaps by day 21.25

All and all not too bad!

So far no issues-car is running strong!

Interesting write up. Good to know the individual costs of driving this car...BUT

$1.40 per mile?!? you must be camping at 6k+ RPM constantly

·
Registered
615 Posts
Interesting write up. Good to know the individual costs of driving this car...BUT

$1.40 per mile?!? you must be camping at 6k+ RPM constantly
Or not driving enough miles!!! Since his #1 and #3 highest costs (depreciation and insurance) were fixed it would move that number down by driving it more. Total fuel would move up, but hey, it would be more fun...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1, just had a long conversation with some folks regarding insurance costs. I friend of mine lived 30 minutes North of me but moved nearby. His insurance doubled. This was inline with what I have seen, my insurance cost has shot through the roof in the last 2 years, no accidents, claims, or tickets. I am told it is just because I am "in town", I have quoted other carriers to keep mine honest and am getting all the same rates. I was raised from $1300 to $2000 this year alone for my 650. Granted I have 250/500 with 500 deductible, but changing the deductible barely moves that number.

To the OP, you seem to have had 3 years and 5 months of ownership that are problem free, I hope your fortune holds! If you take out the operational expenses, the fuel/oil/dmv/insurance you really only have as a vehicle cost the depreciation and a 40k service. So this means around $414/mth over that 3 years and 5 months. Pretty impressive number! I approach monthly cost of ownership without those operational items since I figure that no matter what car I would have they would be present, more or less depending on what you would compare against, but still always there.

The depreciated cost is hard to determine, I am not sure if your $36.5k is not ambitious, there are 27 M6's on cars.com for sale below that number, there is one with 36m miles listed for $27k with 2 years left on an extended warranty. Anyway, it only matters if you sell! Congrats on trouble-free ownership.

Yes car has been great-no issues-just normal maintenance. So to your point-414 a month is really not that bad. I was up at Washington Ferrari and he offered me 36.5 if I traded it in on a F430 (I'm not trading this car in keeping it) so this was the figure I used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts