BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The good book says to replace ZNS TTY bolts. I'm begrudgingly ok with that given they are like $12/piece but the right thing to do.

Took my diff in to get it checked out. Reinstall time. Noticed this unusual wear pattern on the shim. Driveshaft to diff input flange. Book says 20Nm + 90°. That's what I went with last time I did this work and used new bolts. But even still, this wear pattern looks a little unusual. I'm reusing the old bolts just to piece things together but I plan on replacing them before the car is off of jack stands. The bolts feel bent to one side, as they aren't going in to the flange easily.

What do you guys think of the wear pattern?

Is the wobbly feeling of the used bolt being tightened a property of a TTY bolt? Has the bolt been "yielded"? Maybe the shim wear pattern is normal because the bolt dutifully bent in one direction securing itself in place under torque?

Finally, how important is it, really, to use new TTY bolts?

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is the rear diff? I reused mine and never gave it a thought. All of the load is shear so the TTY doesn't mean much. With a fixed trans and diff I'm not even sure why they have all of the flex joints and carrier bearings?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts