BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the torque specs for the 01 m5? all stock.

thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you mean wheel lug nut torque specs, I asked about this a while back and the answer appears to be 88.5 ft-lb.

/Rich

·
Registered
351 Posts
That's strange. I asked a while back as well and I was told 74.5 ft. lbs. I asked this after realizing the dealer overtorqued my lugs.
TripleD

·
Registered
626 Posts
does the dealer do any thing right? who can you trust to work on your and for advise if you can't trust your own dealer? pothatic.

emperor

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you want something done right, you must do it yourself.

I was reminded of this yesterday as the gentleman who runs the race shop I use had his keys dangling from a front beltloop. He was working the hood of my car and needless to say, I cringed everytime his keys touched the front fender as he leaned into the engine bay!

EMPEROR said:
does the dealer do any thing right? who can you trust to work on your and for advise if you can't trust your own dealer? pothatic.

emperor

·
Registered
214 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
ive heard 369...whats one ft-lb though
torque is the twisting force the engine applies to the crankshaft. In SI units, the power of the engine is measured as the torque times the rotational speed. In US customary units, we measure engine output in horsepower and torque in foot-pounds. A horsepower equals 550
foot-pounds per second. Two engines with very different torque characteristics can have exactly the same horsepower since one horsepower can be generated by moving one pound 550 feet or moving 550 pounds one foot, as long as it is accomplished in one second. The high torque engine would be rotating proportionally more slowly than the low torque engine at the same power output, but twisting the crankshaft harder.

Theoretically speaking, this should not make any difference in maximum acceleration since the gearing of the transmission can be designed to match the torque characteristics of any engine. Practically speaking, however, a high torque engine will have faster response to the accelerator pedal from a lower RPM. A low torque engine may require the driver to shift into a lower gear to attain higher RPM's before maximal acceleration can occur. So, in real world driving between two engines of the same power, the higher torque engine will respond more rapidly to the accelerator. Keep in mind, too, that the manufacturer's ratings only give the peak torque and power figures. Diesels tend to produce pretty much the same torque at all RPMs and will give good throttle response. But, small displacement sports cars require the engine to be revved to very high speeds to produce much power and tend to produce proportionally lower torque and power at low RPMs. zzzzz

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Engine torque is 369 lb ft, wheel lug torque ranges from 72lb ft to 88 lb ft (BMW upped it a couple years ago). I usually go around 82 lb ft now with lugs. Hope this answers your questions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
KC--thanks for all that info, but i had kowledge on all that. The comment i made was refering to your claimed amount versus mine..or a difference in one ft-lb.

368 vs 369
Renn-

I know, I was just fooling around waiting for Dreamworks to open. Found all that mumbo on Google. I got 368 from the Dyno specs Powerchip sent me. Now I know why this Board is so great. :viking:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts