BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Just thread that sucker in by hand and then give it a quarter turn. Done.

·
4,360 Posts
Just thread that sucker in by hand and then give it a quarter turn. Done.
^that^

or if you got a sensitive enough feel - turn it till it's tight-ish

every crush washer i've had has been noticeably different from one to the other so the specified torque from BMW should be looked at for numerical novelty purposes not when trying to achieve DIY perfection

same goes for the oil filter cap - hold the main housing with one hand and you can hand tighten the cap by hand - i dunno what 25nm feels like, but i can twist that cap till it just about stops by hand alone

i've done some 5 oil changes in the past year and not so much as a drop of oil has come out everything expands when it gets hot so it automatically tightens a little - the one time i tried using a torque wrench - it went up to 20nm and stopped

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
normaly i did it by feeling,but i bought a small torque wrench so i want to do it the perfect way.

thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
^that^

or if you got a sensitive enough feel - turn it till it's tight-ish

every crush washer i've had has been noticeably different from one to the other so the specified torque from BMW should be looked at for numerical novelty purposes not when trying to achieve DIY perfection

same goes for the oil filter cap - hold the main housing with one hand and you can hand tighten the cap by hand - i dunno what 25nm feels like, but i can twist that cap till it just about stops by hand alone

i've done some 5 oil changes in the past year and not so much as a drop of oil has come out everything expands when it gets hot so it automatically tightens a little - the one time i tried using a torque wrench - it went up to 20nm and stopped
I turn it till it stops by hand, and just gently snug it with a wrench/36mm socket. I also put a bit of used oil on the gasket so it's easier to remove the next time. Basically, I only need the wrench/socket to get it to turn a few degrees then it just spins out by hand.

·
4,360 Posts
I turn it till it stops by hand, and just gently snug it with a wrench/36mm socket. I also put a bit of used oil on the gasket so it's easier to remove the next time. Basically, I only need the wrench/socket to get it to turn a few degrees then it just spins out by hand.
forgot about the oil - i wet the threads & gasket and the cap goes on easy

i would save the socket and just go by hand

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
forgot about the oil - i wet the threads & gasket and the cap goes on easy

i would save the socket and just go by hand

I only use it for the snugging/unsnugging. Wetting the threads is a bad idea, as it doubles the torque value being applied unless the item was meant to be lubricated. I just do the gasket with a light touch of oil here and there to have it turn easier.

We're talking maybe 5ftlb here. No need to have that thing mega tight.

·
4,360 Posts
I only use it for the snugging/unsnugging. Wetting the threads is a bad idea, as it doubles the torque value being applied unless the item was meant to be lubricated. I just do the gasket with a light touch of oil here and there to have it turn easier.

We're talking maybe 5ftlb here. No need to have that thing mega tight.
i don't tighten either the drain plug or the filter cap that much

the word "wet" was a little strong - i run the rubber gasket through my oil dipped finger and then whatever is left i try to spread it evenly over the threads (the oil drain plug inevitably gets wet since there will be a slow drain when i go to put it back in)

here's my most recent crush washers

-notice how the one in the center is the only one that i crushed - i think it's the 20nm one
-then the one on top is the one that was noticeably different from the others (about 1/2 the width)
-ignore the carbon that's from putting them under a flame to try and burn off any oil residue

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
This thread just goes to show there's no such thing as a silly question... :)

I thought I knew but plenty of extra info here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts