BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we all know that that pressing the M button takes our cars from 400bhp to 507bhp but what are the corresponding torque figures?

I know the S85 is quoted as having 384 ft lbs which is presumably with m mode active so I assume it is a good bit lower in standard mode, I've never seen it mentioned anywhere and people generally only quote the bhp difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? So it still has 384 lbs ft when running with 400 bhp?

Not questioning your knowledge, I'm just surprised that there isn't a corresponding change in torque.

Appreciate the response.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, great link, very informative.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Really? So it still has 384 lbs ft when running with 400 bhp?

Not questioning your knowledge, I'm just surprised that there isn't a corresponding change in torque.

Appreciate the response.
when you hit the "power" button all you're doing is changing the software mapping on the engine, allowing it to fully utilize 500hp

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
WOW I had no clue. I guess this is why there really isnt that big of a diff when you just floor it with M mode off v.s. on for the initial launch. I guess this just proves that torque is really only good for off the line. Must be why whenever I race modded C63's they always get the jump on me and then I just murder them after 2nd gear.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Too much torque is not good either

WOW I had no clue. I guess this is why there really isnt that big of a diff when you just floor it with M mode off v.s. on for the initial launch. I guess this just proves that torque is really only good for off the line. Must be why whenever I race modded C63's they always get the jump on me and then I just murder them after 2nd gear.
See the current batch of F1 cars. Too much torque with the turbos. They are a handful to drive. See Clarkson's reviews of the huge torque ladden AMG Black cars. Impossible to drive smoothly, they constantly spin the rear out. Nice smooth application of HP like our cars have allows for better driving. Perhaps not as exciting in the burnout or 1/4 mile category.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I believe the new AMGs are now available with AWD which drastically improves the way they put the power to the ground. Those cars are no joke.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My assumption is that P400 isn't letting you open the throttle 100%. Given this I would expect a similar 20% reduction in torque, assuming the ECU restricts the throttle plate from opening 100% across the whole rpm range.

Later, Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts