BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/Gals

I managed to get some time at the auto show yesterday and finally see the new beast in person.

All I can say is WOWmmmmmm

I honestly have no idea how or why anyone could complain about the looks of this car. I don't want to initiate the Bangle debate on this post but to my eye the E60 M5 stands apart in a vast sea of blandness. Turns heads like no MB saloon could ever.

I've attached a few pics and would offer a couple of observations:

• Interlagos Blue is stunning. I will seriously consider over black
  • The wood grain looked out of place in this car. I'll go piano black
  • I was surprised at the clearance of the fender over the front wheels. A little like the e39 in that there is more space up front than in the back
  • Front calipers look massive, rears look puny. Disks are pizza sized front and back
  • Did I say I find the design stunning? oh ya, I did...:byee55amg
  • When I look at comparable saloons like the e55, cls55 or s class they just don't evoke any emotion. The cls is beautiful to look at from the outside but from the inside it is claustrophobic up front and downright coffin like in the back.
  • When I look at the price to performance ratio of cars like the SL55, SL65 I can't believe what we are getting in the M5 - and it's so practicle to boot!
  • Wow, as you can see I'm well on my way to justifying the purchase of this new beast as a practicle and affordable supercar! - Hey compared to the SL's it'll be like I'm "making money":haha2:
In my brief conversations with the BMW reps I managed to educate them about all the things they didn't know about the car...:rolleyes: I did learn however that Canadian deliveries are not going to meet the Sept target - more like Dec. Fine by me, I'll wait for an 07.

Out of time for now. Enjoycherrsagai

Attachments

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Great stuff Mark - thanks for the pictures :thumbsup:

This only confirms, however, what I've always thought about Interlagos Blue - it's far too bright a colour and much better suited for a smaller car like the M3.

That's why I chose Blue Onyx instead.

Of course, it's a subjective matter and I'm sure lots of people will be happy with Interlagos.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Great pics and thanks for the writeup. I too feel that the pics don't do the E60 M5 justice and Interlagos is so sweet :thumbsup:. My dealer just called me yesterday and confirmed December delivery, not sure yet whether I will take the car or wait .....:noSMG:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Terk said:
Great pics and thanks for the writeup. I too feel that the pics don't do the E60 M5 justice and Interlagos is so sweet :thumbsup:. My dealer just called me yesterday and confirmed December delivery, not sure yet whether I will take the car or wait .....:noSMG:
Tony, if i remanber correctly, you are the first on your dealer's waiting list right?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
That is correct. Apparently BMW Canada called my dealer and requested the names of customers waiting for the E60 M5 and that is when the December delivery was confirmed.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Terk said:
That is correct. Apparently BMW Canada called my dealer and requested the names of customers waiting for the E60 M5 and that is when the December delivery was confirmed.
nice, hopefully i'll recieve some sort of comfirmation from my dealer soon.

do you have any idea about the allocation for you dealers yet?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mark,

I totally agree with you. The car is awesome when you see it in real life.

I believe most of the sceptics will change attiture when they see, hear and feel it.

I actually drove behind one in the Stockholm traffic today. Must have been the first press car for Sweden that was shown in another thread a couple of days ago. Silverstone II.

:byebye:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Mark540iMSport said:
  • The wood grain looked out of place in this car. I'll go piano black
I have to second your opinion 110%. I have yet to hear anyone complement the dark wood interior of the M5 - or the light for that matter. I just don't know what they were thinking - it really disturbs me that I can't get a wood interior I could even look at in a car I'm going to pay $90,000 for. I'm seriously considering the M6 for this and some other reasons.

You mentioned Piano Black - is this available as a standard, option, or Individual option? I know I can get it here as an Individual option but it's big $'s and a couple extra months in delivery.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wolverine said:
[/list]

You mentioned Piano Black - is this available as a standard, option, or Individual option? I know I can get it here as an Individual option but it's big $'s and a couple extra months in delivery.
I guess we won't really know until they give us the option lists for North America. It was probably the individual visualizer that I saw it on at BMW.com

I've got my fingers crossed that it's going to be a standard option. I have to think they'll give us the piano black or metal like the e39 as a sporty alternative to wood. They recognized the need in the e39, let's hope they do so here as well.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I thought the car and the color looked like crap! Wash that flat blue color four times and it'll be more swirled than a black one.

I did, however, like the white 645 individual beside it. Give me an M6 with a 6 speed and performance like my 996 tt cab and I'll consider another BMW.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Mark540iMSport,

Thanks for the nice photos. Just a question about Interlagos Blues: some people can see shades of purple in this colour. Is this true? I guess a lot has to do with the lighting, aslo whether it's sunlight or artificial light.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
M6 Forever said:
Mark540iMSport,

Thanks for the nice photos. Just a question about Interlagos Blues: some people can see shades of purple in this colour. Is this true? I guess a lot has to do with the lighting, aslo whether it's sunlight or artificial light.
I thiink you will find the purple hue will be seen under direct sunlight on a clear day much like LeMans Blue.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
M6 Forever said:
Mark540iMSport,

I would agree with Terk. The purple wasn't that prevalent under artificial light but would probably be noticed in sunlight. One of the magazines reviewed the interlagos blue and all of their pictures had a definite purple hue.

Cheers,

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jamie22 said:
I thought the car and the color looked like crap! Wash that flat blue color four times and it'll be more swirled than a black one.

I did, however, like the white 645 individual beside it. Give me an M6 with a 6 speed and performance like my 996 tt cab and I'll consider another BMW.
Jamie,

We can agree to disagree on whether it looked like "crap". I would agree that interlagos will be no easier to maintain than black.

With respect the the 6 or M6 I'm personally not sold. I do like the looks but if I want to give up the capability to carry 4 adults in comfort and pay the premium that BMW wants for the 6 series I would probably choose a different car and it would probably be a Porsche GT3 and might even be a Z06 (oh don't start...).

The great thing is that we have all this choice!

Cheers

·
Registered
255 Posts
thx for the photos.. i wanted to see them, but my friend in toronto didnt take any pics of the M5/.. but here they are thx again~~:cheers:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
M6 Forever said:
Mark540iMSport,

When I saw it at the Detroit Auto show it definitely had some purple in it. A number of people remarked on it. It is a striking color! Just not for me. I do agree about the maintenance. The Blue car was covered with fingerprints, the silver looked clean.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts