BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned my ///M5 for 9 months now and have really tested its limits. I am extremely careful not to hurt my baby but really do push it. On average I add a quart of oil every 3 weeks. Anyway, I was coming back from SFO on 5*0 around 3am with almost nobody on the road. and was averaging around 160-170 the whole time. When I finally merged onto 6*0 it was the moment of truth...
Every since I got the car I wondered just how fast it would go and was intrigued by the 185mph speedometer (I have Dinan Software so I can achieve the actual top speed). I had 2 people in the car so it still had to pull a fair amount of weight. I get the car going (in sport of course) to 140, then it jumps to 155, then 165, once it hit 170 it crawled to 180. The car was totally stable and I was still able to handle in the turns without slowing down. The car was just sitting at 180 for about 10 seconds when all of a sudden I felt a small jolt and saw the speedometer fly into 190!! It was like it broke a threshold and skipped the 185 mark all together. <O:p</O:p
I stayed at this speed for probably 15-25 seconds in full control and would have hit 200 but my rpm's were touching the permanent orange mark just above the red:M5rev: . I then let off the accelerator and slowed to 170 when I lightly hit the brakes. It made the craziest sound to slow me down. My heat gauge is normally leaning towards cold but after this experience it was strait up and down. I honestly felt so safe that I was amazed. <O:p</O:p
I really do think that his car can be driven at 220 if it had more RPM's. This car is so aerodynamic and solid. I sped up from 120 to 160 once more and I really do feel that after pushing the car to 190 it achieves top end speed faster!! <O:p</O:p
When I parked the car it smelled like a had burned a ton of oil so I checked the level and it had dropped to just above the low mark on the dipstick. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who isn't experienced with going 160 regularly. It was truly an insane experience. I have never seen the road look so crazy. <O:p</O:p
Anyway I am satisfied with this speed and now feel that I am a safer driver at speeds lower than this simply because I am used to faster-<O:p></O:p>

·
Registered
188 Posts
That is a wild story!!!:cheers: Were you driving with your high beams on? It would seem to me that at those speeds at night, your lights would not give you enough visibility down the road to react to anything. I would like to test the top speed of my car sometime. Do I hear that empty desert hwy calling my name....:wroom:

I just looked at your profile and you listed that you have a Brabus exhaust. Isn't Brabus exclusively a MB Tuner?hmmm ??????

·
Registered
56 Posts
great story...be careful out there:M5launch:
DC187 said:
I have owned my ///M5 for 9 months now and have really tested its limits. I am extremely careful not to hurt my baby but really do push it. On average I add a quart of oil every 3 weeks. Anyway, I was coming back from SFO on 5*0 around 3am with almost nobody on the road. and was averaging around 160-170 the whole time. When I finally merged onto 6*0 it was the moment of truth...
Every since I got the car I wondered just how fast it would go and was intrigued by the 185mph speedometer (I have Dinan Software so I can achieve the actual top speed). I had 2 people in the car so it still had to pull a fair amount of weight. I get the car going (in sport of course) to 140, then it jumps to 155, then 165, once it hit 170 it crawled to 180. The car was totally stable and I was still able to handle in the turns without slowing down. The car was just sitting at 180 for about 10 seconds when all of a sudden I felt a small jolt and saw the speedometer fly into 190!! It was like it broke a threshold and skipped the 185 mark all together. <O:p</O:p
I stayed at this speed for probably 15-25 seconds in full control and would have hit 200 but my rpm's were touching the permanent orange mark just above the red:M5rev: . I then let off the accelerator and slowed to 170 when I lightly hit the brakes. It made the craziest sound to slow me down. My heat gauge is normally leaning towards cold but after this experience it was strait up and down. I honestly felt so safe that I was amazed. <O:p</O:p
I really do think that his car can be driven at 220 if it had more RPM's. This car is so aerodynamic and solid. I sped up from 120 to 160 once more and I really do feel that after pushing the car to 190 it achieves top end speed faster!! <O:p</O:p
When I parked the car it smelled like a had burned a ton of oil so I checked the level and it had dropped to just above the low mark on the dipstick. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who isn't experienced with going 160 regularly. It was truly an insane experience. I have never seen the road look so crazy. <O:p</O:p
Anyway I am satisfied with this speed and now feel that I am a safer driver at speeds lower than this simply because I am used to faster-<O:p></O:p>

·
Registered
463 Posts
DC187 said:
... Anyway I am satisfied with this speed and now feel that I am a safer driver at speeds lower than this simply because I am used to faster-<O:p></O:p>
I'm not following the logic.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The best place to this sort of low flying 'bombing run' is NV and MT. The roads are empty and can be as straight as an arrow for miles and miles.

Great drive!! Were the passengers begging for mercy?! :)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Cool story.
I too have had my car past the 180 mark on the speedo. In sixth gear just past the 180 mark i only had, maybe, 300 rpm left before hitting 7,300. I didnt get a feel of stability because i ran it up to that point then lifted. I didnt even use the breaks to slow down untill i was under 150.... too scary.
But yeah, whats up with the Brabus exhaust???

josh.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Actually got a little higher. Passenger took pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ray540inyc said:
im not acutally believing the post after 160...
When I get my oil changed I will film it...

I swear with 2 people as my witness, I took my car past the 185 mark-

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ducman69 said:
That is a wild story!!!:cheers: Were you driving with your high beams on? It would seem to me that at those speeds at night, your lights would not give you enough visibility down the road to react to anything. I would like to test the top speed of my car sometime. Do I hear that empty desert hwy calling my name....:wroom:

I just looked at your profile and you listed that you have a Brabus exhaust. Isn't Brabus exclusively a MB Tuner?hmmm ??????
At certain bends in the freeway I did turn them on but I really did have good visibility with the Xenons. Brabus does make an exhaust system for the ///M5 and it sounds unbelievable!! My rear sway bar bent about a month ago because the end link broke off, so I drove it down do Dinan in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Morgan Hill</st1:place></st1:City> and they were really impressed with the sound. I really wouldn’t go with anything else. I will take some pictures. They are longer than stock pipes and coated with chrome. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
368 Posts
My car is delimited and on the speed counter on the Computer(not the speedo which is verified by gps to be about 5mph too fast) I've had 172mph (177 on the speedo) not in this country but its exactly like reported above, very very stable and quiet. And thats with my exhaust. 1 witness but no photos.:cheers:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ingenere said:
The best place to this sort of low flying 'bombing run' is NV and MT. The roads are empty and can be as straight as an arrow for miles and miles.

Great drive!! Were the passengers begging for mercy?! :)
My friend in the back was dead silent while my friend in the front was calling out the speeds as I sped up.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I'd like to have been standing near (but not too near) the road. Can you imagine how that would sound? :15:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I really would wish there are roads around here I can test those speeds out on. Unfortunately in Ireland there is too much bad weather, too many bad roads, only small highways and a prison sentence if I did get caught.

Next time take a video camera... photos are just not enough

- Kin

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm sorry... But I'm too caught up in the Brabus exhaust made for the M5, that I can't keep reading further.
Maaaaaybe that you somehow managed to fit one, made for another car.
Imagine Alpina making aftermarket MB-parts? :confused2

1 - 20 of 47 Posts