BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just got back from a trip from NC yesterday and just getting off of 50, I get a "tire malfunction" warning on the dash. I immediately pull over and check...all tires look good, not sounds and no sign of decreased PSI out of the norm. I get back on the road and snake a bit and find the rear end feels VERY loose. I check again before getting home and again at home...tires are fine. I was stumped until this afternoon when I parked the beast and got out and as I did...I heard what I thought to be a slight squeek. I go to the rear end and push down on the left rear and...spring squeeking for sure every time I push down. Great day apparently, guess it's time to do some research.

OEM strut replacement?
Aftermarket spring replacement? (koni, H&R, etc...)
Complete new suspension? (KW, H&R, etc...)

I plan on doing some light tracking possibly in the future but not right now, my brother-in-law who has gone through many european racing schools showed me what can be done just on the stock (and apparently on it's last leg) suspension in the beast and I can honestly say I cannot match his performance in my own car right now. Any insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

Sean

·
Registered
397 Posts
i keep getting the same "tire defect" light also and i just got kw coilovers installed.

any thoughts???? My car is A LOT lower, but i took care of the rubbing by getting my fenders rolled and my tire pressure is fine...

Mark

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
///M_CHAP said:
i keep getting the same "tire defect" light also and i just got kw coilovers installed.

any thoughts???? My car is A LOT lower, but i took care of the rubbing by getting my fenders rolled and my tire pressure is fine...

Mark
Did you reset your tire monitoring system after installing the suspension and adjusting the ride height?

·
Registered
463 Posts
SeanMD said:
I had just got back from a trip from NC yesterday and just getting off of 50, I get a "tire malfunction" warning on the dash ...
Did you check the air pressure of all four tires with a good gauge? It's hard to tell whether a low profile tire is underinflated just by looking at it. You don't mention mileage, but shocks and springs would not be my first guess. If the tires are fine, I'd check the rear sway bar brackets (they're very flimsy, and you could have easily bent them on the demo drive with B-I-L). If they're intact, my next step would be to get the car up on a lift and check for something else that might be broken.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you check the air pressure of all four tires with a good gauge? It's hard to tell whether a low profile tire is underinflated just by looking at it.
All tires were checked visually and with a digital guage and were within normal fluctuation for a long road trip such as that and nothing out of the norm.

You don't mention mileage, but shocks and springs would not be my first guess.
Just under 55,000 mi. on the odo

If the tires are fine, I'd check the rear sway bar brackets (they're very flimsy, and you could have easily bent them on the demo drive with B-I-L). If they're intact, my next step would be to get the car up on a lift and check for something else that might be broken.
Before leaving for the weekend, Daniel got me the TCD brackets and I installed a Dinan rear sway bar along with those, so new bushings, new bar and definately much stronger brackets, I have not checked but that would be the last thing I would assume it to be. I'll try to find time to lift the car and check around that whole area in either case.

·
Registered
397 Posts
SeanMD said:
Did you reset your tire monitoring system after installing the suspension and adjusting the ride height?
No, can i do it myself or do i have to take it BMW???

·
Registered
530 Posts
From the 2000 manual to reset the RDW:

Activate the system
1 Turn the ignition key to position 2 (do not start the engine).
2 Press and hold the button (looks like a cut-away tire) until the message "SET TIRE PRESSURE" is displayed for a few seconds in the Check Control.
3 After you have driven a few minutes, RDW transfers the current tire inflation
pressures as the nominal values to be monitored.

You will only have to repeat this procedure following a correction of the tire inflation pressure. Otherwise, the system is automatically activated in ignition key position 2 and therefore whenever the vehicle is driven.

·
Registered
100 Posts
jjc1843 said:
3 After you have driven a few minutes, RDW transfers the current tire inflation pressures as the nominal values to be monitored.
Is there any visual indication that this is happening? Is there any way to check if the system is active and working?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts