BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just watched the Top Gear episode where they test the Vauxhall Monaro, the Chrysler 300C and the Jaguar S-type R on a beach. That must be one of the best Top Gear tests I've ever seen. It was funny, and the setting was great. For all of you who'd like to watch this episode too, here's the link. http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/TopGear_Monaro_Chevvy_Jag_lo.wmv

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is so weird....I mean Holden Monaro is actually Pontiac GTO, but in USA Pontiac GTO is sort of looser car:sad3: ...Guys in Top Gear love this carlovelove , but here on M5board I have seen some threads about Monaro, and all of them are like "I was really dissapointed:nono:, GTO (Monaro) is less then half of M5":confused:

And to make sure: Is the Pontiac GTO a Holden Monaro???????

·
Registered
6 Posts
ycchan said:
According to road and track the 2005 GTO has the LS2 engine.
The 2005 GTO and Monaro will have the LS2 engine which is a 6.0 litre evolution of the LS1 5.7

The 2004 GTO/Monaro has the LS1

Without wishing to get flamed :) the Pntiac GTO works out to about £19k against the M5's £55k plus?? The Vauxhall Monaro VXR is the re-badged HSV GTO and is £35,595, still considrably cheaper than an M5 new.

I guess you pays your money and you take your chice. I have had two different CV8 Monaros (the normal 333 bhp one) and enjoyed them immensely although they are not as rapid as my LC. Got a Monaro VXR for 4 days soon so I will be able to compare.

In fairness I have never driven an M5 in any guise. I have driven a few Bimmers and owned one and been impressed with the all except the E46 318Ci.

My old one was an E38 750iL and for a 2 tonne barge it was dead quick

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Monaro seems to be a very amusing car, since even Jeremy Clarkson liked it, and it has got a big V8. I'd love to drive one sometime but I have no idea how to get hold of one for a test drive. Are there Vauxhall importers in Belgium that you are aware of?

·
Registered
6 Posts
B6-523 said:
And where is Vauxhall made again? :rolleyes: And no matter how big engine they put in it, it´s still a Vauxhall hiha
BMW's go wrong just the same as anything else - Nikasil????
nuff said.

Like I said, I have had a Beemer and through choice it is the only other make that I would entertain outside GM. I believe in value before the badge.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lotus Carlton said:
BMW's go wrong just the same as anything else - Nikasil????
nuff said.
hiha What an example! There´s nothing wrong with Nikasil. Don´t blame BMW just because you have s**tty quality gasoline in UK. No problem whatsoever with Nikasil engines in countries that have normal quality gasoline.

But when we´re on the subject of manufacturers going wrong, shall we discuss Vauxhall´s/Opel´s standard of bodywork finish, rustproofing etc. on let´s say what, 80´s early 90´s cars? hmmm

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am know this is the wrong place but BMW do not make the greatest cars in the world in the same way that Opel and Vauxhall don't!!

Good way to alienate all of the UK people on the forum by the way.

I guess that the main point is that no one really makes a poor car now. I have a friend with a 4 year old Merc that has rotted 4 doors, a wing and tailgate. Let's not forget that the RWD Opels are bult in Germany just like Beemers.

The Monaro will have to see how it stands up to European weather, we will see.

As much as I loved my 7 series, it as the most unreliable car in terms of electronics that I have ever owned but I would have another tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts