BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have been an avid fan of Top Gear for years, but the last couple of series have been rubbish, as they have spent less time talking about great new metal and more time on silly road trips (admittedly, some have been fantastic)

The problem with any long running tv show is that - great as they may be, Hamster, Clarkson and May only have so many fresh ideas, and frankly, they appear to be running out.

And I am sick of seeing niche actors who appeal to a single person in the audience who happens to have seen the advert they were in / show they have recently launched appear on my sunday night petrol fest.

So I had a couple of idea, and i am sure that once this thread is started there will be others that follow.

My best is this - get rid of "Star in a reasonably priced car" and replace it with what I think is far more relevant to the petrol heads amongst us called "Star is a reasonably priced car". Picture this - Clarkson reviews the car, then Stig tear-arses around the track in it to set a time.... Cars on my list include

E39 M5 (obviously)
E30 M3
MB 190 E 2.6
Audi S4 and RS4 (the V6 turbo ones)
EVO 6 Makkinen edition
996 Carrera 2 (3.4 version)
C32 AMG
CL55 AMG
Subaru Impreza P1
TVR Cerbera / Chimera
Nissan R33 / R34 Skylines
BMW Breadvan
Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo

The list goes on and on ......

The thing is among our numbers here, there are probably 100 cars that we would love to know how fast they go around that circuit relative to new metal, because we cannot afford the new metal and would love a fast car for circa £20k (although in the case of the Fiat, you could have 8 or 9 of them....). In my mind each of the above and all the others not listed above are more appealing to watch blat around the track on Sunday evening rather than Rick Parfitt.....

What do you reckon guys - should I email Jezza and the folks?

Cheers

TrickyTrev:M5launch:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think that's a fantastic idea! Sort of a "used car classics" segment. They could have Clarkson review and then hand it over to the Stig. :cool: Create a separate board and track the times. I'd love to see what the Stig could do in an '87 911. Only question, where would they source the cars? :confused2

·
Registered
317 Posts
Absolutely!!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Eureka!! Great idea! :lightbulb:

·
Registered
110 Posts
The "stars" segment is my least favorite part of the show...sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have already emailed them a while back to do a german supersaloon shootout like they did with the italian supercars for 10 grand.
One problem I have noticed is that they used to be quite upto date with the cars they were testing and now they are way behind, for example the new M3 was tested by topgear nearly 9 months after it came out and did they put it round the track NO, did they put the new 911 turbo round the the track NO, merc c63 amg NO, porsche gt3 rs NO, new lambo gallardo NO, the list goes on.:grrrrr:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Good ideas all but the show is called Top Gear. hence the most expensive cars and the newest cars.

In the magazine they covered the all the M Power cars in the december 2003 edition and had Steve Soper do the driving with the M3CSL as outright winner and the e39 M5 2nd and described as sounds so dramatic, carries so much speed and wondered why you would ever need another car.

There was though no e60 or e92

I would reccomend they had the latest model and its predecessors in the review. I would love to know how my e34 and e39 would hold out on the track against the e60 and the e28.

Or the e30 v e36 v e46 v e92

Or the 6 generations of the SL

Or the 5 generations of the 911

Or,,,

Or,,,

Funnily though i have just watched a repeat of top gear and they have just sent a 96 S class round the track, admittedley with a wooden floor:applause: and a wooden chair:1:

Now to hijack Jezza`s green merc and talk him into it:cool2:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have already emailed them a while back to do a german supersaloon shootout like they did with the italian supercars for 10 grand.
One problem I have noticed is that they used to be quite upto date with the cars they were testing and now they are way behind, for example the new M3 was tested by topgear nearly 9 months after it came out and did they put it round the track NO, did they put the new 911 turbo round the the track NO, merc c63 amg NO, porsche gt3 rs NO, new lambo gallardo NO, the list goes on.:grrrrr:
I think they are (Jezzer, Hamster and May) becoming increasingly silly and remote. They will blow it very soon.

The only one who is doing what the viewer wants is the Stig.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Jezzer has an opinion on everything.

He's a good presenter and journalist but he is becoming increasingly irritating.....

·
Registered
613 Posts
I liked the ol' nitrous in a lotus espirit stunt they did way back when....if they focused more on performance based tests, stunts and hi-jinks instead of testing the buoyancy of their "homemade" car/boat contraptions on the english channel, the programme would be 100 times better...i mean even the promo for the show broadcast on BBCA compares it to MTV's Jackass and while i hold Bam Margera in the highest of esteem the comparison, even in jest, should raise a few eyebrows.... :nono:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think they are (Jezzer, Hamster and May) becoming increasingly silly and remote. They will blow it very soon.

The only one who is doing what the viewer wants is the Stig.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Jezzer has an opinion on everything.

He's a good presenter and journalist but he is becoming increasingly irritating.....
I disagree. For me, the Stig is a tool that posts lap times. That's it. As a viewer, I want to be entertained while gaining some automotive knowledge (like how a car realistically behaves or how fast it is around a track in comparison to its competition).

On the other hand, Jezza, Hammy, and Slow are presenters that entertain me. I watch the show for entertainment, and they rightfully entertain very well with "silly and remote" comments and their opinions on just about everything.

If I wanted strict car reviews, I'd read a magazine (I like Road & Track)...if I wanted it in video format, I'd watch Best Motoring. But I watch Top Gear for motoring-related entertainment...and I haven't found anything better.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Anyway, I would like Top Gear to move nearer to the car and further from the personalities including getting rid of guest drivers.
Whether the current team is entertaining is a personal view. I think they're good, but they used to be brilliant.......

·
Registered
427 Posts
Anyway, I would like Top Gear to move nearer to the car and further from the personalities including getting rid of guest drivers.
Whether the current team is entertaining is a personal view. I think they're good, but they used to be brilliant.......
To me, there are plenty of shows that tell you how fast a car is, how much horsepower it has, what the gear ratios are, etc. Fifth Gear, Best Motoring, and a variety of internet videos (Edmund'ss has a specific section for that) serve that purpose with brilliance.

Personally, I think Top Gear presenters are very entertaining, and they tell you how good a car actually is to drive. They deliver the emotions of driving, rather than the raw specifications of the vehicle. I do agree, some of those guests are a bit pointless...but I usually write that off as my being an America-based viewer...they are probably more relevant to most Brits :).

·
Registered
929 Posts
Glad you enjoy it and, don't get me wrong, so do I.

I just think it needs refreshing.......

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ditch the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" segment. Fill it up with more car reviews and interested banter.

As awesome as it was to see Lionel Richie lose a wheel, or Gambon three-wheel through the last (now 'Gambon') corner, and even with my being fairly immersed in european culture (I should have been born a Brit), the segments are just so pointless and boring.

If they must have guests, have the guests participate in the reviews with the presenter. Like when Jeremy and Steve Coogan raced a Ferrari and an Aston.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think its a great idea but most likely they would do a one show special (like the M cars on the Isle of Man).

I too dislike the 'star in a reasonably priced car' - most often I have to record the episodes as I am normally out when they are shown and I fast forward that part 99% of the time.

I do like it when they have the F1 drivers do it though.

Still - I think it is a brilliant idea, how do we attempt to make it happen?

Richie.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I do like it when they have the F1 drivers do it though.

Richie.
+1

Hey after Jenson's visit he won the next race, could be a good luck charm:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make it happen....

Folks,

Thanks for all the input into this idea. I am going to send an email to the TopGear guys.

I agree with the comments earlier around new metal being important, and the entertainment of the show being at its heart, but if 15 or so of us think its a good idea, then the rest of the public must have a view. Lets face it - whats the down side - Jimmy Carr getting yet another go....?

I want to see the new stuff too, because that's what we will be buying in a couple of years, but I'd love to know how fast the beast laps the track and an e30 M3 EVO, my other car (yet to be bought....)

I'll keep you all posted

TrickyTrev
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I'm game for ditching star in a reasonably priced car. That's the part I always fall asleep during.... I want to see more road trip specials that remind me of EVO photoshoots.. like the best driving roads piece. I adore that bit of film... or the supercars comparison, taking the GT, Zonda and F430 to the bridge in France...

- Tim

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I like your idea. The older cars would have to be stock, though. No mods or only a very few, otherwise it would be pointless. Something you could actually find and buy w/o much difficulty. :M5launch:

·
Registered
448 Posts
What about "Pleb in a real car" and Rich Bastard in a ****ter"?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts