BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good one.Thanks for sharing.

"doesn't matter what you got,doesn't matter what you've ever driven ,this is quicker,it's faster ,it's more astonishing.":thumbsup:"0 to 60 in 4.5s".

BMW ///M5 1.26.2 <<<< not a bad time:haha: cherrsagai :cheers: .

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nice.....

I agree with his observations. I wish they would get rid of all of those buttons and tune the car for us. Also, it should be 507hp all of the time with a 6 speed manual. He did say the ride was rubbish? I guess he meant very harsh?

·
Registered
82 Posts
M5_2010 said:
Nice.....

I agree with his observations. I wish they would get rid of all of those buttons and tune the car for us. Also, it should be 507hp all of the time with a 6 speed manual. He did say the ride was rubbish? I guess he meant very harsh?
All those buttons.. what the single M button? yes, your right, its really complicated and hard to press a button isn't it.
:3:

Or are you talking about the other buttons that are there to save you having to dick around with iDrive or the HiFi for safety..

Come on..

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
M5_2010 said:
Nice.....

This misses the point of the car. Instead of "tuning the car for us," BMW chose to allow us to tune it for ourselves, and to do so without leaving the driver's seat. The quality that sets the M5 apart from everything else is its ability to be a comfortable, perfectly tractable cruiser one minute and an assault missile the next. The small price to be paid for this unsurpassed and unprecedented flexibility is reading the owner's manual (something that most car journalists seem incapabale of doing) and spending a little time becoming acquainted with the controls (ditto). Anyone who truly cannot handle the M5's electronics can program once and for all his chosen settings into the M button and never have to touch anything else. All the rest of us will greatly enjoy the flexibility. If Clarkson were convinced in his own criticisms, he would never have bestowed the eventual accolades, which leads to the conclusion that others already have mentioned -- the first part of the show is more comic theater than serious critique.

·
Registered
82 Posts
MRichmond said:
This misses the point of the car. Instead of "tuning the car for us," BMW chose to allow us to tune it for ourselves, and to do so without leaving the driver's seat. The quality that sets the M5 apart from everything else is its ability to be a comfortable, perfectly tractable cruiser one minute and an assault missile the next. The small price to be paid for this unsurpassed and unprecedented flexibility is reading the owner's manual (something that most car journalists seem incapabale of doing) and spending a little time becoming acquainted with the controls (ditto). Anyone who truly cannot handle the M5's electronics can program once and for all his chosen settings into the M button and never have to touch anything else. All the rest of us will greatly enjoy the flexibility. If Clarkson were convinced in his own criticisms, he would never have bestowed the eventual accolades, which leads to the conclusion that others already have mentioned -- the first part of the show is more comic theater than serious critique.

Well said.. I was starting to worry that you Americans like everything on a plate and were missing the real nature of the beast.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sometimes a car can exceed the sum of its parts. The engineering character has to be designed into it. Adjusting all these components does not make a better car. Too me, it is trying to please all. As I recall, the e39 M5 didn't have all these tuning parameters but became 'The Beast'.......

Please tune the suspension, steering and the ride and give me 507hp all of the time with a 6-speed manual..... not to much to ask?

I can live with the idrive.... I don't have a problem using overly complicated device...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
MRichmond said:
Clarkson is a journalist. As a journalist he should report his findings objectively AND also portray his personal impressions. He chose to blend the facts with his personal impressions in the first half of the show, and he did it in a humorous way! I think he echos a very valid sentiment that is shared by a majority of people with regards to the unnecessary complexity of otherwise simple functions. As much as you love the car, do not fool yourself by justifying the erroneous design that forces the driver to push 4 sequences of buttons to simply change the audio station

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Both points of view are legitimate. Each of us will come down somewhere on either side or in between. I enjoyed his review. OK so the car is not perfect, neither is the E39. But does it make you go "oh yeah!"? It seems it does! :D

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Rezf said:
As much as you love the car, do not fool yourself by justifying the erroneous design that forces the driver to push 4 sequences of buttons to simply change the audio station
First, flipping through presets (what is most common) is done via the steering wheel button or console button - same as any other car. Changing to a non-preset is easily and intuitively done through iDrive. In fact, it is simpler than in my pre-iDrive Nav+ E46 M3.

Just a few days ago, my car returned from the dealer where the battery was replaced. This made the presets go away (they were all set to the local Christian radio station - invariably the result of the quixotic efforts of a zealous employee determined to save my wretched eternal soul, but that is another matter). Anyway, I went to select my favorite station that had a weak signal where I was, and the prev/next channel buttons would only scan to the adjacent stations with strong signals. It was frustrating and took me a while to figure out that I needed to go into the audio submenu of the nav and set the mode of the button to incremenet/decrement the tuning number instead of just scanning between strong stations. That was hard. I find iDrive easier.

Tom

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
bernhtp said:
First, flipping through presets (what is most common) is done via the steering wheel button or console button - same as any other car. Changing to a non-preset is easily and intuitively done through iDrive. In fact, it is simpler than in my pre-iDrive Nav+ E46 M3.

Just a few days ago, my car returned from the dealer where the battery was replaced. This made the presets go away (they were all set to the local Christian radio station - invariably the result of the quixotic efforts of a zealous employee determined to save my wretched eternal soul, but that is another matter). Anyway, I went to select my favorite station that had a weak signal where I was, and the prev/next channel buttons would only scan to the adjacent stations with strong signals. It was frustrating and took me a while to figure out that I needed to go into the audio submenu of the nav and set the mode of the button to incremenet/decrement the tuning number instead of just scanning between strong stations. That was hard. I find iDrive easier.

Tom
How about changing from FM to CD, AM??

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If I recall from my few months with the 545, it's a simple shift-turn-press of the iDrive knob. The shift is usually unnecessary as the iDrive is left in the audio menu. This also allows you to shift between presets randomly and has the additional benefit of seeing the stations/descriptions.

With that said, I have numerous criticisms of iDrive and suggestions for significant improvement. I just find it better than its predecessors and a step in the right and an important direction.

Tom

·
Registered
203 Posts
Guyz, can you please advise if you have the video link for the CLS55 test. We should how both cars are driving since he mentioned at the end of the movie that the M5 was .5sec faster.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
They have made many improvements to idrive so that I can now agree with Toms assessment. This is largely due to the addition of more buttons and the accompanying better software. I would no longer consider it a worry for most people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts