BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Bayerische Motoren Werke, or BMW as we know and love it, has had what can easily be referred to as “A Good Run.”

From Isetta to i8, since being founded in 1916, the German car company has produced some legendary machinery. But what’s the best of the best?

Shrinking the list of dozens upon dozens of amazing vehicles that wore the blue and white roundel to just 10 is a daunting task. A top 10 list of best BMWs consisting of just BMW M3s and M5s would be difficult enough. Yet here we are, making a top 10 list encompassing the company’s entire near-century of existence. Do you agree with these choices as the top 10 vehicles? Click the link below to read on!
Read more about the Best BMWs at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
205 Posts
well, IMO the i8 is too new and we have no idea what kind of issues the car will have.

even if it turns out to be a fault free (really? if so, then that in it self would make it qualify as one of the best bimmers ever). EDIT : no Major faults

I really belive the m6 should be near bottom of that list for it's S85 engine, because it pays homage to BMW's involvment in F1 engines.
especially considering that it was the flagship performance vehicle bmw sold at the time.

maybe i'm biased.... but i should would rather have my m6 than the 1 series M coupe... just saying...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Fascinating article. I enjoy reading these things and seeing what people think. I would likely make some different picks. The first thing I'd want to decide is what area of importance are we talking about: are we talking about important for performance, history, marketing, just all of the above and more? I agree the i8 is too new to judge it through the lens of history- but- rather than pick i8, I might pick the whole Project i - which includes the i3 and that means the whole way they are mass producing CFRP, electric integration into the motive process.. It is important.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Honorable mention

S54 M Coupe
e39 M5

I'd take the e39 or e28 M5 over the E34 any day.

·
Registered
336 Posts
A top list of BMWs that does not include the E39 M5 is complete crap to me. If it can make the top lists across all brands, the E39 M5 can certainly hold its own within its own family.

1 Series M Coupe? It's a great handling little car, but it's not iconic like the M5.

"The second-generation BMW M5, codenamed E34, is considered by many as the best M5 ever made." I really wonder who these "many" people are. I don't ever hear people talking about the E34 M5, but I hear plenty of people talking about the E39 M5 still after all these years.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Since autoguide happens to run this forum, perhaps you might want to take a look at your own groups for guidance. The E39 M5 only has 10x the popularity of the E34 M5 (based on post counts). I guess these "many" you refer to don't like posting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe if this list was "List of Significant BMW Milestone Vehicles" I could get on board. In that context I could say okay, E34 M5 surely is the first of its kind, and significant from that standpoint. It defined a whole new kind of car and spawned a legion of imitators. Taking another look in that context it makes more sense.

But I can't agree these are the best ten BMW cars. And in terms of the M5 itself, I've never driven a car that turns heads like my E39 M5. It's a real attention-getter and a timeless classic. Unlike most of the cars on this list. I think E34 M5 would only be "appreciated" by motorsports enthusiasts and fans of Giorgi Tevzadze (rip).

Back to lurking ///

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seriously. Leaving out E39 M5 and E46 M3 CSL in the top 10 list is an issue.
1M? Although 1M could be a fun machine, it is heavier and even has less power than the NA 3.2 liter E46 M3 CSL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
eCannot believe the E39 was left off this list. The E39 M5 is regarded by most as the best M5 ever built, many also believe it has the best sounding V8 of any car, not to mention its naturally aspirated :). Just my opinion but really am puzzled by your guys choice of the E34 over the E39.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts