BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the E39 forum, thought it may be useful here as well...

I have read several posts that some are having difficulty removing the subject seal. As this same thermostat and seal combination (different housing) are in use on the e34 M5, and I still have one, I was forced to do a little garage/tool box search to solve this PITA removal issue.

What is needed is a tool small enough to fit in the thermostat housing cavity below the seal - but large enough to grab the lip of the seal itself. It must have a curved back in order to enable a prying motion to transform into an upward prying motion against the lip of the seal. It must have a hook so it will firmly grasp the seal.

I can remove a seal using this tool with one simple 1 second prying motion, no drama, no elevated tones, no creative cussing... Kinda takes the fun out of it...

Attached is a picture, anyone know what this common $9.95 tool is?

Cheers;

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I posted this on the E39 forum, thought it may be useful here as well...

I have read several posts that some are having difficulty removing the subject seal. As this same thermostat and seal combination (different housing) are in use on the e34 M5, and I still have one, I was forced to do a little garage/tool box search to solve this PITA removal issue.

What is needed is a tool small enough to fit in the thermostat housing cavity below the seal - but large enough to grab the lip of the seal itself. It must have a curved back in order to enable a prying motion to transform into an upward prying motion against the lip of the seal. It must have a hook so it will firmly grasp the seal.

I can remove a seal using this tool with one simple 1 second prying motion, no drama, no elevated tones, no creative cussing... Kinda takes the fun out of it...

Attached is a picture, anyone know what this common $9.95 tool is?

Cheers;

Mike
It's a mini-crowbar...either for little thieves, or thieves doing little jobs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts