BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Well, last Wednesday, I finally took the beast down to the strip (Los Angeles County Raceway) and my first run was against an STI....the rice rocket barely beat me by 0.02 secs, I had a 14.44 vs. a 14.42, <o:p></o:p>

that was not too shabby considering that I had the SES light on and running 19" wheels...plus the biggest deficit was the track's elevation..It's located at 2,800 ft and temp was about high 40's. <o:p></o:p>

I know my result may seem a little dissapointing for some of you, but they say that most cars run 1 sec slower than at sea level... <o:p></o:p>

My last run was against a tricked out Integra...the guy had me for about 300ft, but I was just amazed at the top end on the beast catching up and passing the rice rocket....<o:p></o:p>

My best run was a 14.2 secs @ 103 mph. Lots of wheel hop, I even broke a Dinan swaybar bracket...Yeah, still working on my smooth shifting....<o:p></o:p>

Wondering if there are any M5's out in LA interesting on getting together for a night at the LACR in the future ? <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Ed<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, your time should have been MUCH MUCH better than that even bone stock. I thought the M5's ran high 12's to low 13's stock. Even the new Infiniti M45 runs high 13's and that has much less power.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
jlindy,

The elevation played a key role in the slower than average times. Also, it sounds as if Ed is still getting comftorable with his M5.

Practice those launches and shifting on the road and in open parking lots, and I bet you will see those times drop. If your interested, there are lots of threads from experienced drag guys on the board, with tips on launching, staging, etc. Check it out, I'm sure it will help.

Travis

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M5Kid said:
jlindy,

The elevation played a key role in the slower than average times. Also, it sounds as if Ed is still getting comftorable with his M5.

Practice those launches and shifting on the road and in open parking lots, and I bet you will see those times drop. If your interested, there are lots of threads from experienced drag guys on the board, with tips on launching, staging, etc. Check it out, I'm sure it will help.

Travis
Hey Travis,

Still getting used to the clutch and launching tecniques, and I also just put in a B&M shifter, so that'll take sometime to get comfortable with....It's all about practice and controlling the wheel-hop....thanks

Ed

·
Registered
169 Posts
em5464 said:
Hi folks,ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Well, last Wednesday, I finally took the beast down to the strip (Los Angeles County Raceway) and my first run was against an STI....the rice rocket barely beat me by 0.02 secs, I had a 14.44 vs. a 14.42, <O:p></O:p>

that was not too shabby considering that I had the SES light on and running 19" wheels...plus the biggest deficit was the track's elevation..It's located at 2,800 ft and temp was about high 40's. <O:p></O:p>

I know my result may seem a little dissapointing for some of you, but they say that most cars run 1 sec slower than at sea level... <O:p></O:p>

My last run was against a tricked out Integra...the guy had me for about 300ft, but I was just amazed at the top end on the beast catching up and passing the rice rocket....<O:p></O:p>

My best run was a 14.2 secs @ 103 mph. Lots of wheel hop, I even broke a Dinan swaybar bracket...Yeah, still working on my smooth shifting....<O:p></O:p>

Wondering if there are any M5's out in LA interesting on getting together for a night at the LACR in the future ? <O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>

Ed<O:p></O:p>

Yes, I am reviving an old thread.

And yes, I think you should have run a better time than 14.4 or 14.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile, even if it is LACR. But you should not be a second slower, more like .5 sec slower due to th elevation.

LACR states the correction factor for sea level on their website if you are interested.

I ran my 03 EVO VIII out there and my first time out I hit 13.2 seconds at about 104 mph.

I would be up for going to LACR with my newly acquired beast.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Nice job fellas. You guys in the warmer climates have all the fun!

Hint: You don't want ANY wheel hop. It hurts both your car and your ET. Let the clutch out before giving it Holy Hell.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
beastunleashed said:
Yes, I am reviving an old thread.

And yes, I think you should have run a better time than 14.4 or 14.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile, even if it is LACR. But you should not be a second slower, more like .5 sec slower due to th elevation.

LACR states the correction factor for sea level on their website if you are interested.

I ran my 03 EVO VIII out there and my first time out I hit 13.2 seconds at about 104 mph.

I would be up for going to LACR with my newly acquired beast.
13.2 seems really quick for 104 mph. I thought that stock M5s generally ran high 13s.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
LACR is not the best track to run, its windy,sandy, alt. challenged.
I never liked the pits, very rough on the way to staging.
Then there are the memories of splintering a $3000.00 rear end on a old drag car.
There is no bigger disapointment then a 75 pinto wagon with wood grain paneling kicking your tail in bracket racing. :crying:

But with all that It sounds like you had fun and ran well. :biggrin:

·
Registered
169 Posts
6spd said:
LACR is not the best track to run, its windy,sandy, alt. challenged.
I never liked the pits, very rough on the way to staging.
Then there are the memories of splintering a $3000.00 rear end on a old drag car.
There is no bigger disapointment then a 75 pinto wagon with wood grain paneling kicking your tail in bracket racing. :crying:

But with all that It sounds like you had fun and ran well. :biggrin:
I agree with you on your points about LACR. But where else can you get more than 3 runs down the strip in less than 2 hours in the greater Los Angeles area?

Oh... and my 13.2 sec run with my Evo translates to about a 12.8 sec 1/4 mile at about 106 miles an hour. With the Evo, the launch is the critical point. Since it is all wheel drive, I can hookup the tires so much easier at launch thereby resulting in a faster time with a lower mph.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used to run my m3 at Friday night Grudge. Fun times! I also thought the track was not all that level. It's like dragging up a slight incline hill. One night I blew my radiator housing (Plastic Crap) right after doing a burnout on the starting line. Quite embarassing having to push your car off in front of all those people!:crying: But it's a great place. You can pull up in anything with a seatbelt and a battery and race it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yes your correct on the ease of runs there.
I was spoiled with living next to the old OCIR track.
We could get there and run many times in the 80's.
Miss that track.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How are you driving that poor car? 14.40's is crawlin, sorry to say.

I bought my 2000 M5 if the fall and took it to Route 66 raceway and my best time was a [email protected] 110.5 MPH with a 1.69 60foot time. I had the sport button on to prevent wheel hopp and the traction control off, shifted right before redline and power shifted thru the gears and the car is pretty much stock. How were you driving that car? From what I saw as to the mods that you have done to it, it should be a hell of a lot faster than that, then again I have been racing cars for a long time and i do have the six speed trans pretty much mastered. But still my worst e.t was a 13.20 @ 108MPH and that was because I left out of the gate pretty crappy, all the rest of my times were in the 12's. I don't mean to insult you at all, but I just hate hearing that one of our boys was having a tough time with the rice burners (The Fast and the Fruity *** people) remember you do have the ultimate driving machine. Man my 97 750IL with a few treaks ran a 13.90, if your M5 is running properly, then the problem has to be the way you are driving it. you probably are not launching it hard enough and shifting way too soon, remember you need a little wheel spin out of the whole but never shift while spinning the tire, wait ti it starts gaining traction (the Rpms will come back down and climb again when it gains traction) and then wait until your shift point which will be coming very fast and slam it into 2nd and so on. Good luck and please don't take any of this as an insult. We are a team ///M-Power.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
ouch. Me poor, poor, M5. Ok. I'll just sit here and tell folks my 5 can turn a 12.8.

And leave it at that. and never take anyone up on 'proving that'. :1:

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
KBK said:
ouch. Me poor, poor, M5. Ok. I'll just sit here and tell folks my 5 can turn a 12.8.

And leave it at that. and never take anyone up on 'proving that'. :1:
:nono:

One of ELEVENS timeslips:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
oh..I know how to drive cars hard..and well.. at the same time. In my youth, I bent the frame on 3 cars, before I was 17 or so. All my car trashing is in my past. The 5 is a bit too valuble to me to do these sorts of things to it. Or, might be better to say I'm not interested in the parts cost of repair. Got into my first accident before it was legal for me to drive. My mother had to go back and take responsibility for the accident. (you should have seen the look on her face on that one!) Long story.....it involves doing half-block long fish tails on sheer ice winter streets..and hitting the bank manager's car.

Did my drivers test with my dad's F150.

Then went 4x4'ing with it 20 minutes after the test. And damaged it. That kind of stuff.

So yeah, in essence, I can trash a car pretty well, and could likely get my 5 up to decent times if I tried. It's the getting of the decent time slip that requires patience..and possibly... money!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Bigpauly52 said:
I bought my 2000 M5 if the fall and took it to Route 66 raceway and my best time was a [email protected] 110.5 MPH with a 1.69 60foot time. ...
Ummmm, that's a bit hard to believe. Your 60' has beaten my Vette. The Vette is MUCH MUCH better at launching than the M5, having a superior suspension for drag racing and a 2700 rpm stall converter and over 500 H.P. I have logged 268 1/4 mile runs runs on that car, and here's the best 60' times:

1.796 60' with 315 Michelin Pilot Sport street tires and
1.571 with M/T 10" drag slicks

I believe your time beats bluemax by quit a bit. He's a professional drag racer that used to own an M5 and drag it regularly.

So you're performing miracles with a 1.68 60' in an M5. Congratulations. Or check your numbers. Maybe it was the car in the other lane? I'd like to hear more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nope that was me not the car in the other lane

What would you like to know? I ran it on a drag radial, my bette that i had before the M5 ran about the same 60 footers that yours did, I had a 1.663 on the piolits and 1.569 but on a drag radial but mine was a six speed. By the way who is bluemax? Anywayse, i have spent just about my whole life around drag racing, my cousin raced for the NMCA's Super Street class for years and we traveled the country racing his car at events and the of course there was the street racing scene, a whole different ballgame. What year was your vette? I kind of miss mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know the feeling

Man that brings back memories. I remember back in 1988 when I was Fifteen years old, my Pop would let me take his car from the front of the house and park it in the garage, well one day it has snowed about a few inches, so I decided to take his car for a spin before I parked it, so I took it up and down the alleys fishtailing back and forth when suddenly I lost controll and hit a telephone pole head on and the car spun around right thru someones garage door. man i was scared. I got out of there as fast as I could and the car barley made it home, I had totaleed the poor car and man was my Pop pissed off. Luck for me that there were no witnesses but boy was I in deep $hit. Wow, that seems like a lifetime ago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts