BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I was driving around 70mph, these error messages light up my iDrive.

I was planning on changing my Yokohama S.Drive tires anyways, but would doing that fix this? Or could it be an electronic problem?

Checked tire pressures, all okay! My Yokohamas are not run flats, nor did they come with TPMS, I've had them on for 15 months with no problems!

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've not seen those warnings before. It's probably just a fault that will reset when you turn off the car. Take it bye the dealer and let them run a diagnostic check.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had just left work about a week ago (no performance driving, just going home from work in a 45MPH zone) and suddenly the TPM (tire pressure monitor) lit up and said it malfunctioned, and to take it in for service. I hadn't hit any bumps or anything. I tried to reset the TPM but it just said "Resetting...." and never finished resetting. It normally finishes resetting within about 30 seconds or so, but this message remained.

Well, I pulled over and turned off the car, went in a shop and had a coffee to think about how I would arrange to have the servicing done to fit my work schedule. When I was finished and went and started the car, I decided to reset the TPM one more time and it reset and everything was fine. It's been a week and no issues.

I guess the computer just glitched or something. I remember with my 530i (2005) that the bluetooth occasionally would not boot correctly and in such cases it would not work until I would turn the car off, let it sit for a few minutes, then turn it back on and it would be fine. I figure it was the same kind of thing with the M5's TPM.

I hope your's is as simple a problem. If not, check the ABS sensor plugs at each wheel to make sure something didn't knock a sensor loose. I suspect since the DSC appears to be involved as well it might be an ABS sensor, or ABS sensor processing unit, since the car uses those for both TPM and DSC.

-Dave

LJMartin:
FYI, I haven't had a low pressure with my M5, but my E60 530i I had a couple (construction area around my house) and the TPM would typically inform me about a flat when the tire dropped to about 20 psi, which is 15psi below the recommended pressure I kept them at. I suspect that the M5 TPM would be about the same. Also, it doesn't say the tire is "low", it says something like "You have a flat! Pull over and stop the car carefully!" The first time I was like "Oh S**T, my wheel will be ruined." But after pulling over and looking it was hard to tell which tire was actually low. I had the Sport package with low profile tires.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Ahmed

I had something similar one morning a few months ago - and it scared the c&*p out of me - but after 10 mins driving and a re-start the msgs just went and not seen them again?

So hoping you just have a temporary gremlin (not sure if that is even the right term but you get what I mean).

Good luck.

Kamal

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car has been sitting in my garage for the past 7 hours now, just cranked her up.. the faults are still there!
A friend of mine with a 335 said he had the same errors light up, and it turned out to be a broken alternator belt!

I would also like to mention that since wednesday, my car has been cranking a little longer than usual! Ever since leaving the dealers wednesday after the muffler mount fix, and SMG reset! My battery was changed 10 months ago!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I just realized, my VIN is B561803. Does this men the recall does not apply to me? WTF!
My car is an earlier model!

Do these bulletins apply to the whole world? Or just USA? Cause it might be that the first imported M5 into the US was B581063! But shouldn't these bulletins apply to all production cars?

·
Registered
54 Posts
My car is also an '06 and I had the same exact thing happen to me a few months back. It was in fact the steering angle sensor, and I also tried to get it covered based on the service bulletin (my car is out of warranty), but they showed me records of it already being done on my car a few years ago when it was in for service. I guess it broke again so I had to pay for it out of pocket...not cheap but took care of the problem. Good luck...

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Latest Update!

Let me update you guys on what has happened over the course of the last few weeks!

The dealer refuses to accept that the TSB applies to my car, they went ahead and "repaired" the sensor. After the emails went back and forth, I got a call from the Service Manager saying that if the fault comes on again, they will "try" to honor the bulletin!

This is BS, I'm taking the matter up with Germany! This isn't good enough!

Just read their reply to my concern! Made me laugh!

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM, muna a. raheem <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Mr. Ahmed,

Please find the attachment below for recall campaigns.

Best Regards,

Muna Nassralla

Sent: 12 January 2011 18:43
To: muna a. raheem
Subject: Re: Recall #B561803

Dear Muna

Thank you for your response and follow up today, your attention is highly appreciated.

However, my concern is my safety! And when BMW issues a service bulletin indicating that the exact part that failed on my car recently, was previous a defective part which needed replacing.. I get very concerned!

I bring your attention to the attached service bulletin SI B34 05 06 dated September 2006

Please note the statement "The Chassis Number Ranges listed below are only for informational purposes and are not to be considered as the only deciding factor"

Is Euromotors prepared to assure me that this particular bulletin DOES NOT apply to my vehicle and that the part in question is not of the defective production part mentioned in the bulletin? You must appreciate my concern as this part recently failed and was "rectified" by your technicians. The consequences of a failure again could be costly, should that happen, rest assured that I would take up the matter with Euromotors very seriously.

I look forward to your earliest response in this matter!

Thanks once again and best Regards

Ahmed Baqer

Sent: 29 January 2011 14:43
To: [email protected]*******
Subject: RE: Recall #B561803

Dear Mr. Ahmed,

According to the chassis selection, the vehicle which you own is upgrade production level.

So the attached service information 0061510200 (522 optical element) affected vehicle is from (26.08.2005 – 28.07.2006) and you vehicle production date 19.07.2005. And the particular service information don’t apply to your vehicle.

I hope this will help you, Once again many thinks for you question.

Please feel free to contact for any question.

Have a good day,

Muna Nassralla

From: Ahmed A. R. Baqer [mailto:[email protected]*******]
Sent: 30 January 2011 10:36
To: muna a. raheem
Subject: RE: Recall #B561803

Thank you Muna for your response.

I have a few questions please if you don't mind:

1. What do you mean by "upgrade production" level? My car was produced before August 2005. How can it be an "upgrade" to the cars produced after my car which have defective parts? I don't understand! You mean that BMW manufactured first batch of M5 cars in July 2005 which were "better" and an "upgrade" to the cars produced between August that year and 2006? How is that even possible? You mean BMW "downgraded" their cars after one month of production? Please explain.

2. Once again I ask you to refer to my previous email about the service bulletin that clearly states "The Chassis Number Ranges listed below are only for informational purposes and are not to be considered as the only deciding factor"

I kindly ask you to understand my concern regarding this issue. If this part fails on me once again and results in an accident, and we later investigate and find out that the bulletin should have applied to my car, I will not hesitate to resort to legal proceedings and use the full extend of the law to exercise my rights as a BMW customer and a safe road driver.

I sincerely hope this issue is concluded and any unfortunate scenario is avoided in teh future.

I look forward to your positive acknowledgement.

Regards

Ahmed A. R. Baqer

Reactions: potassium and M V10

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ahmed, am I reading this right, they replaced the steering angle sensor and charged you for it and then told you if it goes out again they will try to replace it under the service bullettin? or did they just reset the fault?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No they did not replace the part, they "repaired it"! This is the first time in my experience BMW dealer "repairs" a faulty part, especially when the part is a "sensor". I don't know what they did, but I can assure you that if my car was under warranty, or I had agreed to pay for it.. they would have most certainly replaced it!

This none sense only proves to me that the dealer did not follow the TSB at that time, and that BMW have punished them for not attending to it when they could 4 years ago. Hence, the dealer is playing cheap skate with me to avoid having to pay for this part themselves!

This is unacceptable and I will not have anyone low ball me at the expense of my life!

Reactions: LJ Martin
1 - 14 of 14 Posts