BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of my car today.
Found a paint flaw.
Dealer offers to repaint claiming their body shop's finish is as good as from factory
(right, only if I could slap the guy's face harder!)
I could either ask for a reduction on price or ask them to somehow relocate another one.
If I were to knock them down on price, how much should I ask for? It's a 3mm bubble burst quite noticable.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
i woldn't even take the car. that could develop into a more serious problem. if it's the money that concerns you, i'd ask for a $10k reduction

--Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Uhh... I think you missread bobafett,Brian said 3milimeter not 3meter defect. I think 10 big ones might be a bit much however if the dealers give you a hard time Brian be sure to email me and I will gladly come up with 70K and buy your nasty teenage pimple faced looking E39 M5!

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
hehe... a more serious problem from a little bubble on the paint? maybe the car would explode when driving hard from that little bubble....
now seriously, I think you should have them do the paint job on condition that you can reject their work and get a substaintial refund if they mess up... maybe $2000-$3000 is a resonable discount for a minor thing like that. If you relocate another one, it might take a few months for the same color and combination you ordered...

·
Registered
54 Posts
brian...where is the flaw located...?if it's not in your face everyday, maybe you can live with it, if they give you the cost of a high end paint job as a settlement.. from past experience, never break the factory finish if you can help it....im picking up my car thursday, and i'll go over it like an IRS auditor at tax time...good luck
bob

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teehee. I wasn't being totally honest when I post the original message.
I did took delivery of A car this Friday but it was an Audi S4 rather than the M5 (which I took delivery about 6 months ago).

Thank Heavenly God, my M5 was in Puuuurfect shape when I got it.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I ended up nailing the Audi dealership for $500 (reasonable, considering a paint job for the whole door panel should cost no more than $300) and kept the less-than-perfect Audi.

But then again, it's a car for my 60+ yrs old Dad. I anticipate some door dings and minor scratches soon anyway.

I agree with Stanly/Bob that I should leave the original paint untouched. How can the best body shop in the world compare to Factory facilities!

best regards,
BrianC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts