BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
As far as I know, the up/down adjustment was never available on the E34 - we only had the mechanical and electric in/out adjustment. I think E38 may have been the first to offer this feature - I am not sure. As for the lever being there and not functioning, check out all that I mentioned in my previous reply - it may be that the column nut under the dash was tightened too tight or the column tube(inner to outer) is jammed - try pulling the lever toward you and up against the column cover and pull firmly on the steering wheel toward you or toward the dash to see if it moves. Aside from that, I will let you know how the wheel swap goes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Timon said:
I'm 6'3" and don't have too much problem. My latch doesn't seem to do anything either. Unespekta, what part of Cinci are you in? I'm on the East side.

Timon, I'm in Mason, right next to Kings Island. Where on the eastside?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Timon said:
Milford area.

Of the year of driving this car, I have never seen another E34 M5 on the road. Thats how rare the E34 M5 is in Ohio.

I sometimes hit up the BMW store for some kicks & giggles of the terrible (****ty) new styling and the free drinks/cookies, maybe I'll see you around.

As for the height issue, the weather has been so humid and wet that I never get a chance to pull out the M to check out the wheel. Hopefully dry and sunny days are ahead.

·
Registered
546 Posts
unespekta said:
I hope there working, you must have the euro version b/c the steering wheel adjusts.

By the way, for all the U.S spec owners: my steering wheel has the latch that adjusts the steering wheel but it is not functional. Is that true with the rest?
Mine works.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I try to avoid the Store as much as I can. They tried charging my friend's mom $900 for a brake pad replacement! No rotors just pads! Not to mention that the sales people are pretty snobby.

I think there is another guy in this forum from Cincinnati.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
unespekta said:
M5sedan, let me know how it works out. I might have to take your route. I'm with you on the old big steering wheel, it was nice at first but when I drove the newer but smaller bmw steering wheels, I was getting jealous.

Another thing, I was informed that the US spec cars can not adjust the steering wheel at all. Is this true?

Why do I have the latch but no adjustment? Why would BMW put the latch there if it is not functional? :confused2

The next time I pull off the car cover, I'm going to try to inspect it ///McGuyver style. :M5rev:

Hi!
One question:
What would be the reason for not having steering wheel adjustment on the US cars? seems odd to me....

Sakke

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
DrSakke said:
Hi!
One question:
What would be the reason for not having steering wheel adjustment on the US cars? seems odd to me....

Sakke

Thats a good question, it seems like the euro versions of all BMW's get more features. Not to mention, the CSL M3.

I'm with you on the steering wheel function, its a simple function. No complexity with that, It should of been shipped over.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well this weekend I checked out the M. I loosened the screw on the bottom of the steering wheel, but no luck. The steering wheel does come out a little, however, it doesn't seem like it was suppose to. I don't want to break anything.

I guess I just have to keep on trucking. I am positive my future E39 will be better.

Thanks

21 - 29 of 29 Posts