BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'4 and have been driving the M5 for about a year. I have adjusted to the "knees hitting the steering" problem, although its very annoying. I also lost hope of the steering wheel adjusting because the US model doesn't have it. However, could I change the steering wheel to maybe from a newer E34 M5 or a M3?? That way if it is smaller, I could have more room for my long legs?

If not, what else can I do? Shrink? :hihihi:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I am about 6ft3". I know what you mean with the wheel. I now have taken off my imobiliser off the key.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Link!

imobiliser off the key........could you explain this please?

being 6'4 has its ups and downs :wroom:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Which wheel is in there now?

unespekta said:
I'm 6'4 and have been driving the M5 for about a year. I have adjusted to the "knees hitting the steering" problem, although its very annoying. I also lost hope of the steering wheel adjusting because the US model doesn't have it. However, could I change the steering wheel to maybe from a newer E34 M5 or a M3?? That way if it is smaller, I could have more room for my long legs?

If not, what else can I do? Shrink? :hihihi:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm 6'5 tall and have the Mtech II wheel. My car is a euro car so I can move the wheel back and forth but not up or down. I don't have a problem finding a good position though, plenty of adjustments on the seat.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Likewise, 6'3" and no problems

Ghost said:
I'm 6'5 tall and have the Mtech II wheel. My car is a euro car so I can move the wheel back and forth but not up or down. I don't have a problem finding a good position though, plenty of adjustments on the seat.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm also 6'3 and have no probs, plenty of seat adjustment. I know its a silly question but are all your seat functions working?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
In that case the smaller early E36 M3 airbagrim with thumbspacings will fit using the car's original airbag. That's the same mod I'm trying to achieve with the 540, if only I could find the proper rim.....

unesential said:
The US spec has airbag.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Geach said:
I'm also 6'3 and have no probs, plenty of seat adjustment. I know its a silly question but are all your seat functions working?

I hope there working, you must have the euro version b/c the steering wheel adjusts.

By the way, for all the U.S spec owners: my steering wheel has the latch that adjusts the steering wheel but it is not functional. Is that true with the rest?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I wonder if your 32mm steering column nut has been tightned. I adjusted mine and lost the functionality. I've since slackened it off and I have partial functionality.

unespekta said:
I hope there working, you must have the euro version b/c the steering wheel adjusts.

By the way, for all the U.S spec owners: my steering wheel has the latch that adjusts the steering wheel but it is not functional. Is that true with the rest?

·
Registered
609 Posts
No latch on my 91M5.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm 6'4" as well and I do wish the same as you - if only the steering column adjusted up and down in addition to in and out. Pulling the latch toward you and up to the column shoudl allow ou to pull and push the wheel in and out quite significantly. If it does not move, either the release mechanism is broken or the column nut has been over tightened not allowing the outer cylinder to slide over the inner cylinder - you can see the nut under the dash. Aside from that, I would also like to get rid of the huge bus driver wheel. unfortunately, I purchased the Mtech II E30 wheel and the spline hole is too small - it will only fit a non-airbag column with a mounting nut instead of the bolt. So, now I am looking into the M-Roadster wheel or the E46 M3 wheel to see if either will fit. Otherwise, it is MOMO for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm 6'3" and don't have too much problem. My latch doesn't seem to do anything either. Unespekta, what part of Cinci are you in? I'm on the East side.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
M5sedan, let me know how it works out. I might have to take your route. I'm with you on the old big steering wheel, it was nice at first but when I drove the newer but smaller bmw steering wheels, I was getting jealous.

Another thing, I was informed that the US spec cars can not adjust the steering wheel at all. Is this true?

Why do I have the latch but no adjustment? Why would BMW put the latch there if it is not functional? :confused2

The next time I pull off the car cover, I'm going to try to inspect it ///McGuyver style. :M5rev:

·
Registered
426 Posts
i'm 6'4" and manage ok with the mtech II steering wheel pulled back and the seat pushed back and low. Not much room behind me though - passengers with match stick legs only. I might be halucinating but seem to recall discovering that there was an 'up and down' option as well as the in and out. would be a nice mod for the tall amongst us. Looked on the parts database but couldnt locate it. Anyone know if I'm right?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts