BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 42000 miles is a lot for tires on any M6...

The attached image is my right-rear tire at 42000 miles of wear! Tread was worn through to the cord on the extreme inside. Right-rear tire worn but not to the cord.

Too many miles or alignment issues?

BTW: I had the bushings replaced around 95000 miles and replaced the rear tires just last week at 118500 miles.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave Lowen
"It's Christmas morning every time I get in my M6!"

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't believe the overall amount of tread left on that tire at 42K. Like you said, don't think they typically last that long. As for the wear at the extreme edge, could be toe, camber, under inflation or any combination. If the lateral tread block edges are "cupped" (one edge higher that the other) it could be that the alignment is off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No blocking or cupping on either rear tire.

Never thought there was as issue since the tire I could see was nowhere near the wear bars...

·
Registered
584 Posts
No blocking or cupping on either rear tire.

Never thought there was as issue since the tire I could see was nowhere near the wear bars...
That's actually normal for 6 series, 650i as well as M6. The rear wheels have a negative camber and the inside wears much faster than the outside. That gives you more rubber on the road in hard cornering, but creates uneven wear in to out.

If you have 42k miles on them you were WAY overdue for replacements.

·
Registered
759 Posts
First of all, that's not the tread pattern of a Michelin Pilot Sport 2, or even a Pilot Super Sport (I believe). Second, the right rear tire will wear faster than the left rear from my experience--guessing that's where most of the torque goes by default. Finally, get a four-wheel alignment when you change tires. That may correct the wear on the inner edge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts