BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went in to Autowave in Huntington Beach to get some runs in, the first ever for this car with OE s/w, that being flashed over my Powerchip s/w following the process of getting my car ready for registration and emissions testing in CA (I needed a new instrument cluster too, rather expensive...). The best result was on the third pull following a minute cool down pause with the fan on the car. Pretty good result IMO for the Dyno Dynamics dyno as posted below (wrong name "Bobby" was entered).

Max HP 353.5
Max TQ 313

Attachments

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Good pull!

Is the carbon thing driving the PC flash? Also, you can't score a goodwill cluster replacement? I was offered one by my dealer a few months ago, and I didn't even ask for it! :dunno:

Dave

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good pull!
Is the carbon thing driving the PC flash? Also, you can't score a goodwill cluster replacement? I was offered one by my dealer a few months ago, and I didn't even ask for it! :dunno:
Dave
Dave - The reflash was CA-required for emissions testing - I believe all M5's in CA need to have it done and must show proof thereof with dealer certification in writing in order to be passed. I had to switch from the original kph speedo to mph as the CDN version is kph-only. I contacted BMWNA twice about a cluster replacement but even though almost all my LEDs were out, only original U.S.-spec M5's are covered by the exchange policy. I purchased the car new in Canada and BMWCA has consistently denied the cluster coverage available to U.S. owners.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
So I went in to Autowave in Huntington Beach to get some runs in, the first ever for this car with OE s/w, that being flashed over my Powerchip s/w following the process of getting my car ready for registration and emissions testing in CA (I needed a new instrument cluster too, rather expensive...). The best result was on the third pull following a minute cool down pause with the fan on the car. Pretty good result IMO for the Dyno Dynamics dyno as posted below (wrong name "Bobby" was entered).

Max HP 353.5
Max TQ 313
Out of curiosity...do you have a dyno run WITH the powerchip software (to compensate for the headers etc.)?

Brian

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of curiosity...do you have a dyno run WITH the powerchip software (to compensate for the headers etc.)?
Brian
Yes, some time ago. The best pull from that session was 357.6 HP with best TQ achieved of 320 ft/lbs, this on Powerchip s/w written for 94 octane and while running on a blend of 91 & 100 octane to achieve that octane rating. As board member badboypolar pointed out back then, power fell off before it should have, likely due to running too rich at high RPMs as indicated by the AFR plot. That curve suggested that 6-8 HP was left on the table and could be found with further AFR tuning which I have never gotten around to doing. So, a potential for maybe 365 HP.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yes, some time ago. The best pull from that session was 357.6 HP with best TQ achieved of 320 ft/lbs, this on Powerchip s/w written for 94 octane and while running on a blend of 91 & 100 octane to achieve that octane rating. As board member badboypolar pointed out back then, power fell off before it should have, likely due to running too rich at high RPMs as indicated by the AFR plot. That curve suggested that 6-8 HP was left on the table and could be found with further AFR tuning which I have never gotten around to doing. So, a potential for maybe 365 HP.
Thanks!
Are you planning on reflashing the PC software? Or do you think the EWCU is compensating well enough on its own?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll run the OE s/w into July and then most likely reflash a modified version of the PC s/w.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
The problem with oem software is your more than likely to trip the SES light because of the headers...good pulls Bart:cheers:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem with oem software is your more than likely to trip the SES light because of the headers...good pulls Bart:cheers:
Chris - You da man! I drove 38 miles in limp mode tonight...off to see Powerchip in the morning!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
BKH, nice run.
You might want to check the for sale section, MCarRacer has an 00 cluster I believe, something like $200 I think... Its the black version as well, so proper look for your car.. If you DIY its almost as cheap as the goodwill (charge an Hour I am told) replacement.

So OE software is required for SMOG? Or just that its been updated by BMW? Potential to move back to Cali is in the books, so am curious if my Dinan SW would have to go away?

Matt

·
Registered
241 Posts
I contacted BMWNA twice about a cluster replacement but even though almost all my LEDs were out, only original U.S.-spec M5's are covered by the exchange policy. I purchased the car new in Canada and BMWCA has consistently denied the cluster coverage available to U.S. owners.
That's weird, they offered it to my brother for his 540.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BKH, nice run.
You might want to check the for sale section, MCarRacer has an 00 cluster I believe, something like $200 I think... Its the black version as well, so proper look for your car.. If you DIY its almost as cheap as the goodwill (charge an Hour I am told) replacement.

So OE software is required for SMOG? Or just that its been updated by BMW? Potential to move back to Cali is in the books, so am curious if my Dinan SW would have to go away?

Matt
Thanks for the heads up on the used cluster but I missed that one...too late now. Whereas I wanted to keep the gauge faces black originally I like the new ones also - they look good at night and match the Silverstone seat inserts. Here's a thread that provides the recall info:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79866&highlight=obdII+recall+reflash

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's weird, they offered it to my brother for his 540.
If the car had been in Canada I'm sure it could have been a different story as my dealer would have gotten involved (to my benefit). Did they offer him the same deal as the U.S. owners got?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was waiting to see if you would end up running into problems with OE s/w and headers sounds like it happened pretty quick.
I think Dinan dealers will reflash their s/w for free- does PC cover reflash or are you having to pay to redo that?

·
10,458 Posts
wait both dinan and ss headers along with oem s/w trip the ses light? any reson why?
more air flow, not enough fuel to compensate it. Runs the adaptation to the limit, still too lean, so you get an ses light.

·
Registered
848 Posts
more air flow, not enough fuel to compensate it. Runs the adaptation to the limit, still too lean, so you get an ses light.
So headers must add a nice chunk of power then, I'm coming from the S50/S52 engines where headers barely make a difference.
I'm looking at an M5 with SS headers and stock s/w. He claims hes had the headers for 3-4 months and no ses light.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was waiting to see if you would end up running into problems with OE s/w and headers sounds like it happened pretty quick.
I think Dinan dealers will reflash their s/w for free- does PC cover reflash or are you having to pay to redo that?
$50, PC flashed something entirely different than what I had before (91 octane vs. 94 octane) this afternoon. Adaptation is taking place now but it feels really good, lots of punch, i.e., increased mid and upper-midrange pulling power.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Welcome:cheers:, the S62 is a pretty interesting engine...how many miles have they driven with headers, stock software and without SES light? as far as not adding software to match your mods is useless as your not maximizing your mods and the potential to gain HP?TQ

So headers must add a nice chunk of power then, I'm coming from the S50/S52 engines where headers barely make a difference.
I'm looking at an M5 with SS headers and stock s/w. He claims hes had the headers for 3-4 months and no ses light.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Congrats Bart:cheers:
$50, PC flashed something entirely different than what I had before (91 octane vs. 94 octane) this afternoon. Adaptation is taking place now but it feels really good, lots of punch, i.e., increased mid and upper-midrange pulling power.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts