BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a Kelleners sport exhaust on Monday.
Do I need to weld or is it enough to use the clamps that came with the
set ?
I have read different threads here but not sure what to do.

·
10,458 Posts
i have my supersprints clamped on, not welded. No ses lights or other issues.
mike

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
clamp...if there is a leak, then weld

·
Registered
397 Posts
im getting my kelleners put on tommorow and im sure im just gonna get it clamped on

Mark

·
Registered
837 Posts
I installed my Kelleners and SS x-pipe myself with some friends about three weeks ago and we just used the supplied clamps, and I dont have any issues with leaking, I believe if you weld it, that you may have to drop the whole exhaust just to properly weld it, and doing so may make it harder to remove in the future for other Jobs like clutch rplacement and what not, the clamps should be fine, Josh

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Clamping it is always better IMO. Not only is it sufficient in preventing leaks, but it also allows you to remove the muffler quick and easy compared to welding,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I cut the exhaust while it's on the car, or do I need to take it down and
do the cutting ?

Kjell

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I have to disagree

Sorry to have to disagree with the majority here but welding will always be the better way to go. If you think you can just unclamp an exhaust and change it out, guess again. If the clamps are tightened properly in the first place to prevent leaks they are going to crip the pipes, making them very difficult to get off easily.

Cutting the pipes is much easier and welding will provide a longer term solution to leaks than clamps. I am sure there are those who have had good experience with clamps, but if you ask any good muffler shop, they will always advise the welding method.

I have had 4 different exhausts on my car and welding and cutting was never an issue for a professional installer.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts