BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help deciding whether I should go for the spoiler on the car or not. I can’t seem to find any clear pictures of the spoiler on the car. All the launch and press pics seem not to have it!?

Pics or opinions anyone?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's quite an ugly spoiler..but if it's functional and effective; I'd take it..... Try to find a substitute from its tuners like ACS or Hamann...Maybe something's better is waiting for you...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I'm going for it. I guess the level of uglyness depends on the colour of the car.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'll skip it. The small amount of extra downforce at 180mph is unimportant, and I don't like the look. It looks really cheesey and under most circumstances only serves to collect more dirt at the backend.

Tom

·
Registered
955 Posts
bernhtp said:
I'll skip it. The small amount of extra downforce at 180mph is unimportant, and I don't like the look. It looks really cheesey and under most circumstances only serves to collect more dirt at the backend.

Tom
the spoiler actually doesn't provide any downforce, however, according to BMW's M5 press release, it cuts the liftforce on M5 by 50%.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Up/down-force is a continuum. The amount of difference the spoiler makes is rather small and only applicable at ulta-high speed. This meager amount in this situation is not worth it to me.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I don't care for the look. I think you would be safe to order it without and if you later decide that you want it, I am sure its easy for a dealer to install. You might end up paying a little more this way, but that extra is the price of having the option.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't like spoilers at all...however, I'm not removing the one on my E39 M5 because it is so understated - I am actually learning to like it!

I wish I could say the same for the E60 M5 spoiler - I would not order it. I suppose if you really take your car up to 180 mph speeds, it will be worth it. I don't.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The E39 spoiler is simple and understated. The E60 really seems like an aferthought and stuck on at the 23rd hour. IMO it looks better without.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Terk said:
The E39 spoiler is simple and understated. The E60 really seems like an aferthought and stuck on at the 23rd hour. IMO it looks better without.
100% agreed. Definitely going without it for the E60.. definitely had to have it on my E39.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
well i really don't care for the e60 trunk so would prefer to see something back there, but if you don't like the look of the factory spoiler i'm sure there will be aftermarket alternatives. i haven't seen a lot of pix of the e60 with the spoiler so am not sure if it's 'cheesy' or 'understated'....i think the e39 spoiler adds to the look of the car though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts