·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello my name is isma , i leave in north of france
i bought an e39 m5, 1999 , 170 000km, with diesel noise, an many other job too,
i want to remove double vanos, to repair that, i m looking for a good adress
to buy tools i need for that job
ouich i know for sure it s a difficult job , advice are welcome if you want to help me

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
hello my name is isma , i leave in north of france
i bought an e39 m5, 1999 , 170 000km, with diesel noise, an many other job too,
i want to remove double vanos, to repair that, i m looking for a good adress
to buy tools i need for that job
ouich i know for sure it s a difficult job , advice are welcome if you want to help me
Welcome !!

There are plenty of threads detailing out the removal procedure, including the exact BMW procedures too.

There are ways to do it without using all the special BMW tools too, which will save you a lot of money I am sure.

Here are some pictures by member Phakes, if you like to see some Vanos Pictures : The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com) - PHakes's Album: VANOS

I have a 1999 M5 too ! They were the fastest ones I have heard ;)

Good Luck

Reactions: isxm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks
for you it s strange to have diesel noise at 170 000km ,
i don t want to use all times like in tis , but i m looking for a method with a minimum tools,
i know i ask too much, like in a dream
i will make a video , in that way , people can watch too !

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You do not need the BMW special tools...

Look in my Vanos DIYs.....;)

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/169099-cam-timing-diy.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/163305-vanos-rebuild-diy-pics.html

I just disassembled another one yesterday night,assemble it today.

You take the solenoids out and remove the covers of the Vanos pistons and you do not need the switch tool then..

My tools are 8mm,10mm,13mm,14mm,5mm and 6mm in hex sockets and spanners,a 27mm open end spanner,4x 8mm drills or M8 bolts and a 8,5mm drill.
Plus a 32mm socket to turn the crank.

You get these tools everywhere.

Have done the job over 10 times with these standard tools...

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
thanks
for you it s strange to have diesel noise at 170 000km ,
i don t want to use all times like in tis , but i m looking for a method with a minimum tools,
i know i ask too much, like in a dream
i will make a video , in that way , people can watch too !

I dont really have any bad vanos noise. There is a distinct diesel sounding noise, but it seems pretty normal to me. I am on 215,000 KM.

If you listen to an S85 V10, it sounds a lot more like a diesel than a normal/healthy sounding S62 V8.

Please make a video of your sound, the sound of your engine I mean :)

The methods of removing vanos without special tools are here on this forum.. They will appear in your view very shortly, I suspect ;) EDIT : Voila !

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can hear that noise ,
but you have to know about that m5 , i have to rebuilt manythings
and the owner before didn t drive with more than 2 years, (in reality 800 km )
many oil leak motor and .....
the program is to rebuilt all in good condition

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Yep Chain TensionerS and chain guides are well worth inspecting replacing.

Other Tensioner and chain guides :

So 6, 13, 17, 20 and 21 .... et toujours plus ;)

Oh yeah this is what 8 from your diagram looks like in real life :

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i really want to kill that diesel noise ,
it s only a noise problem , that car run in good condition
i have to see , when i will open

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/_3eHy7gBprQ?hl=fr&fs=1 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">
</EMBED>

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
First of all,we have to make a difference between Vanos noise(diesel sound) and chain rattle...

Vanos rattle has two main causes,the diaphragm springs,no3 an no5,as well as play in the helical gears no2.

The diaphragm springs were updated on the 2001 models and make the car way more silent.
When installing the Vanos units with the gears,you have to compensate for the play anyway...

Chain noise is usually a combination of chain stretch(no1),the chain guide no6 loosing parts or tensioner no20 going bad.

I spent the last 48hours with a car that had rattle.

Was hard to say if Vanos or chain...

First I tried compensating the play of the gears,did not help,also a new tensioner no20.

It ended up in changing all chain guides,all chains,diaphragm springs,new bolts for the sprocket(no5) as these were upgraded to stronger ones and rebuilding the Vanos units themselves as on one oil pump the pistons seized(thankfully I always have some Vanos units to dismantle for parts,otherwise the only option would have been 2500€ for a brand new unit:biggrinbounce:)

The rest of the parts my dealer had fortunately in stock(they know that I do this work at least once a month:haha:)

Overall an 40 hour job to do it proper.

With your noise,you will only find out what is going on when the engine is open.That is the truth.

What I have found so far on cars with similar noises:

-chain tensioner no 20 collapsed

-chain guide no6 broken

-Vanos oil pump seized

-chain sprocket bolts no 5 backed out and destroyed Vanos units

-main chain stretched

-diaphragm springs worn

-chain tensioner between cams(no8 in the first pic) briken

-chains between the cams stretched

If you really want the car silent,replace all the stuff mentioned on both diagrams and rebuild the Vanos units.

End of story.

Will set you back about 1300€ in parts and loads of work.

Ignore TIS regarding taking the cylinder heads away for removing the lower timing chain case.

That is utterly bullshite and not needed.

If you have further questions,let me know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we ve got all tools we need in garage of my friend, in fact when we make diagnose on , i don't have any problem with vanos , the noise is traveling , that why i will open to know all , maybe before i will take it off the chain tensioner number 20, to see what is look like and after that result i will start the job, i will say to you all result, but with the garage reduce and belgium bmw , i will paid all for a good price

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i have changed my chain tensioner , it s better now , i will take an another video , to show the difference ,i ve bought many parts to start the rebuilt, and for the rest i have to do , i will do that job in few days ,:wroom:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts