BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a follow up from an earlier post - what would be the best way of dealing with stone chips to bonnet and offside wing - Painting from bare metal ? yes/no - or alternative way of dealing with stone chips and minor grazes ?

I went to my local dealership and like all (or perhaps most) BMW dealerships they are quite happy to take the money and paint whatever you want - the bodyshop estimator basically priced me for a full offside and bonnet paint job to rectify few stone chips that have been very unprofessionally touched up.

I am awfully tempted in getting the whole car repainted - is this wise ? - apart from the obvious expense, what are (if any) disadvantages to this, especially if the paint job is back to bare metal and if it's not back to bare metal then is that again in any way negative - and does a repaint job affect the resale value at all ? and if it's okay to do a full or otherwise paint job can anyone tell me what standards should I expect e.g. number of coats / finishing etc.

Once agin thanking you in advance - apologies if posts seem segments of war and peace - I am gonna have to shorten my post somewhat!

Cheers :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I would get the front resparayed by a good bodyshop and no the whole car, no way.

A good body shop will complete the job blending in from the font across the wings and bonnet then re-lacquer, polish and you will not know it was repainted... I have seen many cars with this done properly and they look untouched if done properly

In the Uk probably £300-500 if they remove all trim and do a 100% job:cheers:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
PS Everyting else, minor dings and scratches can be polished out and repaired by companys like Chips away and dentmaster.

I had a bad door ding and scratch and the job done was perfect £40 to remove scrathes and £50 for the ding. I CANNOT SEE WHERE THE DAMAGE WAS ! And that was after I tride to polish out carefully with Zymol compounds.

These companies do it all day long for Merc/BMW dealers and know the cars. Your BMW dealer should know people. Evidently the lacquer is nice and deep on the 5 series. I thought my sratches where through the paint but they weren't.

When I polish the car, look REALLY carefully at all angles there is NO evidence of any damage, NIL NONE !:thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice - really appreciated.

Cheers:M5thumbs:

Carrera2RS said:
PS Everyting else, minor dings and scratches can be polished out and repaired by companys like Chips away and dentmaster.

I had a bad door ding and scratch and the job done was perfect £40 to remove scrathes and £50 for the ding. I CANNOT SEE WHERE THE DAMAGE WAS ! And that was after I tride to polish out carefully with Zymol compounds.

These companies do it all day long for Merc/BMW dealers and know the cars. Your BMW dealer should know people. Evidently the lacquer is nice and deep on the 5 series. I thought my sratches where through the paint but they weren't.

When I polish the car, look REALLY carefully at all angles there is NO evidence of any damage, NIL NONE !:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.