BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Hummm, if you are concerned with the money you will spend on gas - you will not enjoy driving your car and this is not the right car.

These engines loves to drink gas and oil and its part of the cost of ownership.

Drive the car the way its designed, meant and built to be driven and it will put a very big smile on your face.
When its time to gas up - just fill her up and not worry about it. Otherwise, you wont be able to enjoy your car to its fullest.

These cars are not meant to be driven like a Honda.

New to the board and I'm interested in how I can get some better fuel economy out of my M6 V10 any tips/ threads I should look at.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Dan has said it all. Like always.

The fuel consumption is directly related to how much you push with your right foot. Take it easy and you will have the best mileage possible out of a NA F1 derived V10.

I don't know how much economy you will get, but this is the only thing I can think of.

Be ware though, driving below 3000 rpms is not good for the engine.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
If you do a search here - the M6 sucks in automatic mode. It is sluggish, it chokes and shifts very slow.

The SMG M6 is a manual transmission so its recommended to be driven in manual mode as much as possible.

Like Hasan said - if you worry about gas consumption you can drive it low RPM but the M6 have very low torque at low RPM so you wont be enjoying your car to its fullest.

And if you worry about gas consumption, then just wait till the car needs repair as it wont be cheap.

Did you mean below 2,000? In automatic mode my car shifts just over 3,000 and about 2,100. I also start to get a drone at 3,000. If you did mean 3,000 is this answering I can change?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all,

new to the boards, but I've already utilized a couple of your excellent DIYs!

I drive a lowly 650i, but there is obviously a lot of crossover, so these boards have been very useful :)

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Dan,
Thanks for all your input and advices. I have a question. Im currently on a 5 month trip outside of the USA, my beast is currently at a buddy's house. How many times a month should he turn on the car and for how long? Thanks

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Hi there.

First, make sure your car is hooked up to a battery tender if its not going to be used for an extended period of time.

My recommendation is not to just start the engine and let it idle. My vote is to start the engine and drive the car even for only 15 minutes or around the block.

Driving the car is much better than letting the engine run idle as when driven all mechanical parts move and gets lubed like the transmission, wheels, etc.

If driving is not possible, then I would warm it up for about 15 minutes.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Hey Dan,
Thanks for all your input and advices. I have a question. Im currently on a 5 month trip outside of the USA, my beast is currently at a buddy's house. How many times a month should he turn on the car and for how long? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

New user here. Had various E6X variations over the years, first M6 though. Fuel bill is a kick in the nuts, but the v10 though... christ on a bike!

Im sure ill have 100 questions and problems, usually how my luck goes despite being over careful to my toys :)

Cheers guys,

Jay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not criticism, merely adding so that people don't make THIS mistake...
=====================================================
Driver skills is just as important, and also making our car lighter weight.
Speaking of driving skills - I highly recommend young drivers take Defensive driving schools, Car Control Clinic, then high performance driving school.
It is usually offered by your local BMW CCA chapter. Join BMW CCA and check your local chapters bulletin board for school dates.
Or you can take the M driving school.

3) Get to know your car really well. Learn its limits and breaking point.
Know when you break traction, learn its limitations.
=====================================================
AMEN TO THESE!

I condensed your two points together for this reason, #3 really needs to be advised "Get to know your car really well... ON THE TRACK"
Those who are veterans to the race track know that the aforementioned limits are discovered by exceeding them. Sure you can do a controlled slip, but on a public road? I wouldn't. Especially not on something new and for the first time. Really the sole point of the track is:
1)controlled environment
2)EMS on standby
3)less solid objects to collide with if you do lose traction and cannot recover control of the vehicle

It is simply the best ideal situation for #3.
I know technically you've recommended both and I like that you layered the training and ramped it up to racing school at the end.

I just wanted to emphasize that #3 should never be done in a public setting.

I've formerly competed in IMSA, SCCA and WERA (yes I know.. bikes.. sue me. they are WAY less expensive to repair!) and ALL of the various schools I've attended (California Superbike school being my favorite. Keith Code is an incredible person) the one thing they did way better than those road schools was safety. The way they layered the technique one lesson at a time and also forced students through two tiers of safety training and philosophy before getting into the fun stuff would really bolster a lot of young hopefuls.

I guess the short is, a defensive driving school will teach you how to avoid crashing.
Racing school will teach you how to crash and what to do when you're in the process of crashing.
I've wrecked plenty on the track and I have a 0 incident on the street. (I am 48)

If anyone is about to comment "well if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't crash on the track either" There are two kinds of racers. Those who have wrecked and those who will.. believe that. Plus, Canadians.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

but the v10 though... christ on a bike!

Jay

My goodness I cannot stop laughing!!! HAHAH:grin
I just pulled my M6 off the delivery truck yesterday! I haven't taken it out yet b/c I am doing the BC bearing swap before I drive it.
It's a 2007 E64 w/ 64kmi on it.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts
About this Discussion
98 Replies
33 Participants
e31_1997
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing