BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome again to our board.

We care a lot about our young generation, you are our future so we do what we can to educate you and protect you.
And since I am sharing kind of guy - I will share more info with you on what I have learned over the years.

1) Remember that it is not all about gaining speed and making our car go fast.
Driver skills is just as important, and also making our car lighter weight.

Speaking of driving skills - I highly recommend young drivers take Defensive driving schools, Car Control Clinic, then high performance driving school.
It is usually offered by your local BMW CCA chapter. Join BMW CCA and check your local chapters bulletin board for school dates.
Or you can take the M driving school.

As you know, our public driving schools is a joke. (Parallel parking, turn signals, etc.)

2) Respect the power of the machine.

The V10 is a very powerful engine and if you dont respect it - you will get hurt.
See thread below. These folks are former members here.
Their posts were mostly "how can I make my car go faster".

Sadly, they took some serious risks, didnt respect the power of the beast and they paid dearly.
No one survived.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/111545-airstrip-crash-florida-5-killed.html

3) Get to know your car really well. Learn its limits and breaking point.
Know when you break traction, learn its limitations.

4) DO NOT turn off DSC unless you really know your car and have spent enough time with her.

I highly encourage you folks to find a deserted street or empty parking lot on weekends.
Turn off DSC, push your car hard and learn the limits of your beast.
This is the preferred location, not on public roads.

5) Always adjust your driving habits dependent on road and weather conditions.
Slow down if the roads are wet or icy.

6) NEVER weave in and out of traffic.

7) Never tail gate. NO ONE likes being tail gated.
Allow enough distance for you to brake properly and not irritate drivers in front of you.

8) Keep right unless you are passing.

9) Drive fast only when it is safe to do so.

10) Never let the car warm up by sitting idle. As the owners manual have stated - drive immediately at moderate speed.
This allows not only the engine but also the rest of the car, transmission, tires, bearings, steering wheel, etc all warm up.

11) Best tire adhesion starts around 106F. Anything less than that - your tires will be slipping & sliding.
Allow the tires to warm up in order to avoid DSC intervention.

That's good for now. You all take care.

Dan

·
Registered
59 Posts
smart words dan i am a young m owner and i cant agree with this tread enough, i have owned driven borrowed fast cars since i past and i have had friends whom have crashed lots of cars all due to excessive speed and not enough experience in certain situations that have resulted in bad accidents none fatal apart from the car me included years ago, if you don't respect the car you drive regardless of what it is it will kill you,

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks pardoe101.

Us old farts are lucky. We didnt have 500hp cars growing up to put our lives in danger each day we drive.

Our younger generation (I am 53 years old) face a lot of challenges each day.
From driving high powered machines, to texting, to using cell phones while driving, iPad, high powered stereo, iPod, etc.
The above each day is a struggle trying to stay alive.

When we were growing up too - if we had an issue with anyone, sometimes we go home with a blackeye.
Nowadays crazy people out there will shoot someone for nothing. WTF?

So each day, we try to survive our crazy world.

Education, good information and good decisions is a must have nowadays if we want to stay in this world longer.

Dan

·
Registered
687 Posts
-PUT WINTER TIRES ON in the winter. Or don't complain about the way they drive in the snow.
-Don't make it ricey.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more item:

Kindly make the time to read your owners manual.
You will see that a lot of your questions are actually listed already in your owners manual with answers.

The manual will also educate you on how to enjoy your beast to its fullest (learning all the nice features it has)

Like: If you want to shut down your engine and leave the accessories to remain on - push the engine shut down switch briefly.
The engine will shut down but you can still make bluetooth phone calls and listen to the stereo system and play around with maps.

If you want a complete engine shutdown - press and hold the engine off switch. The navigation, bluetooth, stereo system, LED displays, etc, will all completely shut down.

Press and hold the remote control door open switch - the doors will unlock and windows will roll down.

Insert the key to the door lock, turn to the right to lock the doors, continue to hold the key on the 3 oclock position and the windows will roll up.

Briefly pull on the headlight high beam stalk after engine shut down and your headlights will remain on for a couple minutes so you can see inside your garage at night. They call this Pathway Lighting.

Lots more.........

Dan

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
smart words dan i am a young m owner and i cant agree with this tread enough, i have owned driven borrowed fast cars since i past and i have had friends whom have crashed lots of cars all due to excessive speed and not enough experience in certain situations that have resulted in bad accidents none fatal apart from the car me included years ago, if you don't respect the car you drive regardless of what it is it will kill you,
Is there something wrong with your keyboard? :typing:
It seems the shift, period and return keys are broken ouich:1:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for such an insightful and well-thought out post. Though some parts are specific to our beasts, the tone of the piece should resonate with every young motorist and their parents. Thanks for ANOTHER valuable contribution to our community.

Kindest Regards,
Milton

Welcome again to our board.

We care a lot about our young generation, you are our future so we do what we can to educate you and protect you.
And since I am sharing kind of guy - I will share more info with you on what I have learned over the years.

1) Remember that it is not all about gaining speed and making our car go fast.
Driver skills is just as important, and also making our car lighter weight.

Speaking of driving skills - I highly recommend young drivers take Defensive driving schools, Car Control Clinic, then high performance driving school.
It is usually offered by your local BMW CCA chapter. Join BMW CCA and check your local chapters bulletin board for school dates.
Or you can take the M driving school.

As you know, our public driving schools is a joke. (Parallel parking, turn signals, etc.)

2) Respect the power of the machine.

The V10 is a very powerful engine and if you dont respect it - you will get hurt.
See thread below. These folks are former members here.
Their posts were mostly "how can I make my car go faster".

Sadly, they took some serious risks, didnt respect the power of the beast and they paid dearly.
No one survived.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/111545-airstrip-crash-florida-5-killed.html

3) Get to know your car really well. Learn its limits and breaking point.
Know when you break traction, learn its limitations.

4) DO NOT turn off DSC unless you really know your car and have spent enough time with her.

I highly encourage you folks to find a deserted street or empty parking lot on weekends.
Turn off DSC, push your car hard and learn the limits of your beast.
This is the preferred location, not on public roads.

5) Always adjust your driving habits dependent on road and weather conditions.
Slow down if the roads are wet or icy.

6) NEVER weave in and out of traffic.

7) Never tail gate. NO ONE likes being tail gated.
Allow enough distance for you to brake properly and not irritate drivers in front of you.

8) Keep right unless you are passing.

9) Drive fast only when it is safe to do so.

10) Never let the car warm up by sitting idle. As the owners manual have stated - drive immediately at moderate speed.
This allows not only the engine but also the rest of the car, transmission, tires, bearings, steering wheel, etc all warm up.

11) Best tire adhesion starts around 106F. Anything less than that - your tires will be slipping & sliding.
Allow the tires to warm up in order to avoid DSC intervention.

That's good for now. You all take care.

Dan

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Is there something wrong with your keyboard? :typing:
It seems the shift, period and return keys are broken ouich:1:
Clyde is spot on:

You of the "texting" generation (you know who you are), please be aware that this website is NOT Twitter. We post, we don't tweet, into these forums.

Please use capitalization, proper punctuation and the best grammar you can muster. If people have a hard time reading your posts, they tend to discount the content. So if you want to be taken seriously, put some effort into your posts (neatness does count).

And (this is important), proof read your posts! I always seem to make some typos or word things badly, so the edit option (only available for 24 hours after posting) is my very good friend.

Can't spell? Well, neither can I. Use Google or whatever resources you have. It was 10 times harder when I was young and you only had a hard copy dictionary (which I hated to use). Now it's pretty easy to check the spelling of a word.

We do want to hear from everyone, but I will admit that I tend to skip over posts that are hard to read.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well put Dan! I just read through the whole airstrip thread - just a nightmare. Period.
It's postings and knowledge like this that can help out young and old drivers around the world.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Alot of folks miss this one Dan (# 10)....even my BMW Dealership sales guy here in San Antonio missed this one...with all the test drives I did, each and everytime he insisted the car needed to sit 10-15 minutes warming up sitting idle before we began our test drives.

Thanks as always Dan for your timely and informative posts!

Edward

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Good information Dan, you running for office?!?! Just playing.

One of the biggest things is to share the road. Don't be a @%@#@# and weave in and out of traffic and only think you are putting your life in danger because you are putting everyone in danger.

These are really expensive toys, so take care of them.

And of course if the conditions are safe, always, always show other sports cars what is up!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got in a car accident doing some of the things that you said not to do. Only if I read before, I totaled one m5, I have my other one now and taking my time to know her.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Alot of folks miss this one Dan (# 10)....even my BMW Dealership sales guy here in San Antonio missed this one...with all the test drives I did, each and everytime he insisted the car needed to sit 10-15 minutes warming up sitting idle before we began our test drives.

Thanks as always Dan for your timely and informative posts!

Edward

I had no clue on this. I always let my M6 warm up for about 4-5min in the morning before i start to drive it and im in Southern Cali. I thought just starting it up and driving it was hard on the car, even if your keeping rpm's under 4k.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
BMW's driver training is an awesome way to find and pass your limits, this and tutored track sessions are the best way to learn not deserted roads or car parks (sorry Dan I fully agree with everything else you have said!).

Do all the BMW training days, theres 4 levels plus one secret (fascination day ;O)): Young driver, Advanced, Intensive and M-Dynamic. The M-Dynamic you get to spend the day in an M3 on the track learning road and track craft including power sliding but you have to do the advanced first to get on it. You have to do the M-Dynamic and then be 'invited' to the fascination day!

My instructor for all has been Geoff Brabham (raced a lot in the states in indy and sports car classes) and son of Sir Jack Brabham, needless to say an awesome teacher.

Costly but the safest most fun way to find and exceed your and the cars limits and keep a smile and your license! Wish I had done it as a teen!! I have raced and done hill climbs but still found this very useful. I was smiling and boring people for weeks after!

Jay

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
BMW's driver training is an awesome way to find and pass your limits, this and tutored track sessions are the best way to learn not deserted roads or car parks (sorry Dan I fully agree with everything else you have said!).
Actually empty parking lots are not that bad. We usually hire parking lots for a day to satisfy the urge to go sideways. ;)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
About this Discussion
98 Replies
33 Participants
e31_1997
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing