BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what people think about modifications. I have an e60 6speed that is still original and am thinking about doing some Dinan upgrades like my x5M. In the long run, am I devaluing the car because it is modified or adding value with quality modifications. When I say "one day" I mean many years from now. Are collectors in the future going to be as concerned about originality?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. I rarely sell my cars but also do not want to devalue them. Adding to the e60 would be for the fun of adding performance to the driving experience. At the same, time, I know the value of keeping cars as original as possible. If it really devalued the car I have a e70 Dinan with 700hp for the extra fun and, of course, an e60 stock is great fun to drive. I'm curious how others think.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 2008 E60 6 speed in Interlagos blue with Silverstone leather and aluminum trim. Less than 97 IB manuals were made.

its 100% stock and always will be.

I would NEVER buy an E60 with a single mod, and that includes exhaust.

These cars are very high strung with high compression ratios.

I would never trust a mod like intakes without a tune because you could suck in more air than the dme can correct for with more fuel.

I'd also never load up a tune that was provided by reverse engineering the ROM.

·
Registered
260 Posts
These cars aren't going to hold their value in this lifetime, i would mod the hell out of it and enjoy it while you can

I 100% disagree with you. 6MT M5 prices have been very steady due to the low production volume. I cannot say the same for the 6MT M6.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am curious as to what people think about modifications. I have an e60 6speed that is still original and am thinking about doing some Dinan upgrades like my x5M. In the long run, am I devaluing the car because it is modified or adding value with quality modifications. When I say "one day" I mean many years from now. Are collectors in the future going to be as concerned about originality?
Statistically, original cars bring in more money to collectors. Which is why I keep my 944 as original as possible. I do plan on keeping an E60 M5 in the collection as well, but want an LCi model to accomplish this.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
There will always be a moving target in the conversation of this subject. I would say 6mt's in general are rare and then you throw in optioned cars, color of the car, then it can become even more rare. If you ask the question of modding or not modding, you will 100% of the time get mixed reviews, as has happened here. If you want that one-off rare IB 6mt, then don't mod it. I will also tell you that just because you've opted to not mod your car, it doesn't necessarily make it easier (or not) to sell or you will get a vast margin of profit by not modding. Our audiences change and by the time you sell your car, you may not have a buyer that's willing to pay top dollar for a stock car (maybe you will?).

I think modding your car will make it more enjoyable for the driver experience, but do as you please and see fit. If you ask me, there's no point in buying an e60 m5 (smg or 6mt) and leaving it stock. There's absolutely no enjoyment keeping that v10 song quiet and hidden; these beasts were meant to be opened up and enjoyed at 8k rpm with a full exhaust. So what, you keep it stock and hope for a few thousand more upon selling your car? And even that's not guaranteed. Totally not worth it to me, however each to his own.

Dan

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Adding mods will not add value to the car, that is one reason why people return them to stock as much as possible as they know it will sell easier and get a better price if it looks like it was not molested.

Of course if you are keeping the car for a very long time then why not enjoy it as much as possible :wink

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a 2008 E60 6 speed in Interlagos blue with Silverstone leather and aluminum trim. Less than 97 IB manuals were made.

I would never trust a mod like intakes without a tune because you could suck in more air than the dme can correct for with more fuel.

LOL this is the funniest thing I've read all morning. These aren't touchy sensitive cars dude lmfao

·
Registered
555 Posts
I 100% disagree with you. 6MT M5 prices have been very steady due to the low production volume. I cannot say the same for the 6MT M6.

Did you know even less m6s were made than m5s in manuals? You seem like one of those people that likes to talk a lot and pretend they know what they're talking about and it turns out they know nothing... Just to let u know manual m5s are still easily found for under 20k lmao

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The DME doesn't work that way.

I would bet money that not a single commercial tune exists that wasn't modified based on the A2L and DAMOS that came from BMW originally using the Funktionsrahmen documents as a guide. I've looked thorough it myself, so if someone were in that business, it would be silly for them not to have done the same.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Be respectful gents...

Sorry bout that sometimes people say things so dumb they need to be addressed... wouldn't want someone to be scared off from modding a car because of crazy talk

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Jimbo you still owe me a phone call :wink

·
Registered
940 Posts

I added a backup camera and aux input, do those count? :nerd

·
Registered
555 Posts
I added a backup camera and aux input, do those count? :nerd

No bro high compression engine!! You'll mess up your AFR from excess load to your alternator

·
Vendor
638 Posts
You can always throw on a set of high performance wheels like ADV.1's or HRE's and revert back to stocks when you sell the car :wink

PM us if you ever need help of choosing wheel setup, we're the largest dealer for both companies and would love to help

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mod the damn car and enjoy it! If you plan to sell it, then return it back to stock and be done with it. If you rarely sell your cars like you say then what are you waiting for? Remember, mods can always be reverted unless you stroke your engine but then why the hell would you want to sell such a beast!?!?!

This is a silly post if you ask me.......

P.S. You don't need a tune for an intake, that is just absurd!

Off topic, how do you like your X5M? What year is it and how reliable has it been? I am planning to get an X5M in the near future, thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the feedback.

the X5M is amazing. it's a 2010 and i just bought it from a well known mechanic who raced it and I am amazed at how it corners. cornering faster than the e60 you think "an suv really should't be able to do this". 1.25g cornering. it's almost a disappointment to drive the e60 which is what got me back into modification mode to give it more power. it pushes 700hp and you feel it.

not qualified to speak of reliability yet since I just picked it up recently. so far, so good and i have been using it as a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts