BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
MINENCE said:
Is every one here a mod junky, or there are others like me who can't appreciate the M5 more the way it left the factory?
Every car is a compromise as it comes from the factory, even the mighty M5. Over the last 20 years, the only car I did NOT mod was my 560SEL. Everything was changed to improve (in my eyes) performance and occassionally cosmetics.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
397 Posts
FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK....

jk,its all about personal preference, i like modding because i feel like my car is personalized and different from others

Mark

·
Registered
176 Posts
///M_CHAP said:
FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK....

jk,its all about personal preference, i like modding because i feel like my car is personalized and different from others

Mark
Mod! I pick mine up Friday. The photos are before. I will post again with post mod photos. See attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Apparently non-modders are a minority here, but I'm mostly with minence on this one. If I ever start modding it will be in the powerchip/shortshifter/clutch department, which mod the mightly M5 in such a way that most people can't notice something has been changed.

·
Registered
612 Posts
MINENCE said:
Is every one here a mod junky, or there are others like me who can't appreciate the M5 more the way it left the factory?
I think your question is a great one. Hopefully everybody agrees that from the factory, the M5 is an incredible piece of automotive machinery.

As good as ANYTHING is, it can always be made better. Of course, "better" is a personal opinion. Personally, I think that the M5 sits plenty low in stock form. Others want it even lower. Some want larger wheels and a different suspension and are willing to live with a harsher ride in trade for even quicker response.

For me, (at least at first), I want to keep it to a minimum. A different exhaust because I want it to sound "meaner" than stock. And engine software to eliminate the max speed (like I will really be able to go faster than 155 in the US!) and allow for the premium gas only.

Redhot5 - please keep us posted on the progress on your mods. Since it looks like they will all be done at the same time it may be difficult to give feedback on the impact of each one. But still, we'd love to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm solidly from the leave it stock corner. After all I want to sell it one day and if it's been all prawned up I'll not be able to give it away.

Plus the more time I spend titting around with it, the less time I have to spend actually learning to drive the thing properly.

And that's not taking into account warranty issues either.

M5 stocker goes just fine, is wonderfully quiet on the road, and if it blows up I know I can take it back to Mr BMW and have a sympathetic ear.

Andy

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From the purists’ point of view, it has been shown during the course of automotive history that cars (I am talking mostly high end cars with nostalgic values)that are left stock or restored to factory specs have been appreciated more and brought in more money. And of course the M5, as we all know, is an automotive icon and a piece of automotive history. It has either been the first or the best in more than a few areas of automotive innovation and performance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Stickman said:
I think your question is a great one. Hopefully everybody agrees that from the factory, the M5 is an incredible piece of automotive machinery.

As good as ANYTHING is, it can always be made better. Of course, "better" is a personal opinion. Personally, I think that the M5 sits plenty low in stock form. Others want it even lower. Some want larger wheels and a different suspension and are willing to live with a harsher ride in trade for even quicker response.

For me, (at least at first), I want to keep it to a minimum. A different exhaust because I want it to sound "meaner" than stock. And engine software to eliminate the max speed (like I will really be able to go faster than 155 in the US!) and allow for the premium gas only.

Redhot5 - please keep us posted on the progress on your mods. Since it looks like they will all be done at the same time it may be difficult to give feedback on the impact of each one. But still, we'd love to hear your feedback.
Thanks. I will keep everyone posted. We ran a pre-mod dyno with the 5 bone stock. We will run a second one on Monday after I put about 300 miles on the new clutch. This second dyno will be will all mods except the power chip. We will send the second dyno info to Discovery Automotive. They will program the chip and overnight it to us. We install, run 50-100 miles to let it aclimate and then perform the third dyno. Hopefully, everything will be set. If not, we send the new dyno results and chip back to Discovery or they send us the new program and we dyno again. As all of you might expect, I am dying with anticipation. My new baby has been in for surgery for 4 weeks now. Most of the time has been waiting on the SS race cats and the Eisenmann race mufflers. Fortunately, I have my M3 to drive while the 5 is in for the mods. When I post the final results, I will also post all the dyno results.

Power on......

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't plan to Mod. I plan to save a hell of a lot of money for repairs after a few seasons of trackdays.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I haven't done any mods, other than very small things (and the stereo). The main reason for this is that for my rather specific needs, the M5 is as close to perfection as I have seen in a car. The other reason is UK insurance costs which escalate with serious modifications (I'm 26 and do lots of miles).

Having said the above, I am a bit of a power junkie so I wouldn't say no to another 50hp, 100hp or the full monty S3 / El Diablo experience. 800bhp every day would be entertaining... There are some aspects of the stock M5 which I currently find useful and which I'd fear may be compromised by mods: I've seen some visual mods which make the car look truly wonderful, but less discreet, and discretion is something I need sometimes. There are times that I'd like an aftermarket exhaust to release more of the beasts voice, but I do a lot of motorway miles and at the moment it is relaxing and quiet. I also do night time work, often to residential areas (boring legitimate reasons, I'm afraid) and I need a car that doesn't wake anybody up.

As Jerry said, every stock car is a compromise in some respects, but for my needs the compromises, or design decisions taken with the M5 mean that the stock car suits me well. But, oh would I love a supercharger:M5launch:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm another one of the minority that prefer stock I guess... I guess I'm older now and the desire for attention has died down, I'd rather people not notice my car :p From my past experience, more mods = more maintaince trouble, stock form might have been compromised but it's also more balanced IMO.

But with the said, I DO plan on doing small mods, I currently only have the sway bar brackets and IceLink (if you can call that mod :p ) But I guess I'll go for pulley set and sway bars.. Thinking about exhaust, or just X-pipe to keep the stock look :p

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
teej said:
if you are doing track days, you WILL want new bigger brakes - a subtle mod
at least open ducts, good fluid and some track pads, and you'll be ok on the track with stock brakes.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Osodog said:
I am going to make the plunge and get the D/A software installed. This will be my first major mod. Pretty excited to see the change in the M5.

Congrats and pls post pics asap...

·
Registered
122 Posts
mottati said:
at least open ducts, good fluid and some track pads, and you'll be ok on the track with stock brakes.
Open (air intake) ducts? I guess I'm still a newbie, how would I do that?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts