BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this topic has been breached many times, and I've read many posts regarding the subject. Still, it tugs at my heart strings.

I've reached a logical dilemma. I'm 24 going on 25, and going through my first deployment as an Army officer. Even when I was very young I loved the big engine, luxury sport cars that James Bond used to drive. Because the cars themselves excited me... not because James Bond drove them.

I've just squarred my wife away with a sensible family car, and I'm going to need something with a back seat when I return home. Logically, the M6 would not even remotely be in question. However, I don't foresee in my future another opportunity like the one I have right now. The M6 would be a dream car for me. I don't see any situation in the next 20 years where I'll be willing to put money like this down a car and not feel horribly guilty for it. I'd have that voice in the back of my head saying you could put one of your children through college for this much money.

That said, I'm afraid if I pull the trigger I'd end up putting myself in too deep. The initial cost would by no means ruin me. The gas wouldn't even bother me. I have a motorcycle for good mileage, and a truck for bad weather. I've driven a 302 for years and gotten 16 in the city. The M6 would even be an improvement over my truck. It's the potential upkeep I'm worried about. It would be a semi-daily driver when no incliment weather is present. I would probably try and take it to the track from time to time as well.

I know it's a bad idea... but it would be a car I would likely keep for forever. So, should I go for the dream? Or am I being unrealistic? Driving is my second favorite activity in the whole world, and I could use some advice on this one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe your asking the wrong audience! That said I would venture to say that we are all very biased, we are biased because there is nothing like driving the beast. I do every chance I can, have been to the track with the beast which was just outstanding and will be returning back. There is nothing like the roar of the V10! Good luck on you decision but in my opionion it's not a tough choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm coming here more for the maintenance aspect. Can the car reach upwards of 100,000 without getting crazy in the weeds with repairs? I'm relatively handy with a wrench, and if I'm not quite knowledgable enough to do a job, I know the guys that are, even if it is a BMW ;). It's the cost of parts and the reliability of them that I question. Like I said, the car would be my dream car, but I need to make sure I wouldn't be putting my family in the weeds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.... let's be honest... a little bit of in the weeds for the M6 would probably be worth it to me with as much as I love driving, lol.

·
8,369 Posts
I think I can speak for the majority of the folks here.

Simply put - we all love our M6. For me and most of us - its the best car we've ever driven and owned.
No other car has always put a smile on my face whenever I drive it than my M6.

The thumbs up I get from other drivers, the compliments I get from family, friends, associates, general public - too many to count.

Known fact: BMW are truly the Ultimate Driving Machines.
However, another known fact is - they are simply not the most reliable.
Parts, labor, maintenance and after market performance mods aint cheap.

The way they all see it - if you want to play - you gotta pay.
I highly recommend finding a low mileage 2006 - 2008 Certified Pre Owned so that you are protected for 6 years or 100,000 miles.

Mine is a 2006 CPO. It had 7,000 miles when I bought it 2 years ago and I am protected for another year up to 100K miles.
So far, 95% reliable, only broke down on me once. Dealer updated the software for the fix.
Its been 100% reliable since then.
I spend more money on mods than maintenance.

These beasts are so complicated most of the time we have no choice but take it to the dealer and dealer only for diagnostics and repair and they usually charge $135/ hour plus full MSRP + mark up on OE parts.

My vote - go for your dreams. Buy yourself an M6.
Save money on the side for maintenance and repairs and be happy from here on and be like us proud owners of one mean beautiful machine.

Hope that helps.

And thank you by the way for your service to our country. I am a veteran.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Welcome, and thank you for your service. :M5thumbs:

Its a very difficult decision and difficult to advise on without trully understanding a number of things. First, are you buying a relatively new car that will have a long term warranty? They will cost alot more, but if you could get a '10 model CPO and be covered for the better part of 5 years, that would be beneficial. The warning I will say about thinking you can own this car without a warranty is, dont think about it. Think of the M6 as a computer with an engine and wheels (and all the other parts ofcourse) but at its heart, its a computer. Then think about your home computers, and if you think you could own one for 20 years without technical expertise and a toolbox to match. I think you can get my drift.

These beasts are brilliant, and powerful, and electronic, and all the things that happen when electronics get old, outdated, or 'buggy' are likely to afflict the car at some point in its life cycle. The best, and only protection you can afford, is a BMW backed warranty. There is not much you can do, no matter how handy you are without the right diagnostic computers and programs to manage the systems. So, what Im saying is, you cannot own this car forever unless you are specifically financially well off to be able to write off the upcosts post a warranty period. That may perhaps help your decisions.

Other wise, I cant help but say its the best daily drive car in the world all around, imho. If you can justify having it for a few years, that would probably be the best route in your situation, but do yourself a favor and dont attempt to drive one unless you are sure you can buy it, it'll kill ya to know what you're missing ;)

Good luck, brave soul :M5launch:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know my wife was probably hoping you guys would say something more along the lines of what I read on a different forum. Which went something the tune of, if you're worried about maintanence and repairs, this isn't the car for you. I feel that the little kid in me might win out this time. And the great thing? Even if my wife doesn't necessarily agree with my idea, she'll support it. Score.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, what Im saying is, you cannot own this car forever unless you are specifically financially well off to be able to write off the upcosts post a warranty period. That may perhaps help your decisions.
See, this is where the kid in me gets me into trouble. What you said was don't think about it. What I heard was, see how expensive the software is, lol. :biggrin:

Of course your likening it to a computer didn't help much. I'm a hopeless computer nerd. Currently I'm configuring a linux kernel for my laptop, though I couldn't tell you why. It ran fine before I decided to wipe it last week.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Just be careful with what you buy. A money pit can ruin you, so get one that has the extended warantee and you will be golden. Sapphire Black that is....

·
8,369 Posts
We only live once, always go for your dreams, but play it smart.

Like what we recommended - find the latest year model you can afford and make sure it is a Certified Pre Owned.
Then you are worry free for 6 years or 100,000 miles.

Find a good well maintained preowned on dealerships all over the US. Look in Craigslist, Look in eBay and Autotrader.
Just make sure it is CPO. after market warranty companies come and go.

I am here in Seattle, I found my M6 from a dealership in California.
My wife and I flew there to inspect it, loved it, bought it and drove it back.
The best purchase of my life.

You let your wife test drive one and I assure you she will be hooked too!
We here all wish the best for you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The older I get the more and more I clearly understand the power of a warranty. So I will likely follow everyone's advice and go CPO. Since I'm not due back in the states until sometime semi early 2012 I've got plenty of time to research this software and see if it's something I can sink my teeth into so I could maintain the car myself past a warranty. I couldn't really justify keeping the car only a few years, I unfortunately don't make enough money for that. :sad1:

That might be the breaker for me. If I can't go this route maybe I'll go Corvette powered Mazda Miata... but it just wouldn't feel like BMW.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Welcome! I believe that you are beginning your potential M6 ownership the correct way: RESEARCH-RESEARCH-RESEARCH. The board members all enjoy their cars so much that we may not be the best source of unbiased information but, we will alert you to all of the potential pitfalls of ownership.

That said listen to your head but follow your heart. These cars are AMAZING. I have only owned mine for 4 months on yesterday and I couldn't imagine not having it. My back glass shattered 2 weeks ago and and did not arrive until yesterday. Consequently, I have only driven the car for about 5 miles since then. The only way I have survived is that I've been traveling on business during most of that time period. The glass will be replaced tmrw and I will go on a nice long drive.

From the sound of the engine to the effortless speed and sublime handling, these cars are unbelievable. Just be careful in your acquisition and do lots of research.

Good Luck and keep us posted. - mk
:cheers:

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
First of all, thank you for your service to the nation. Although Ajax can't imagine living without his Beast, he can say that if he had had the mindset to spend that kind of money on a luxury that he wanted when he was 24, he would not be able to afford one today. These are very expensive cars to own, drive, fuel, insure, and maintain. Ajax's M6 is a daily driver, but he won't keep it long enough for something major to go bad out of warranty. Only a garage queen can be kept "forever" and even those vehicles require costly upkeep to keep them perfect.

So if you get one, set aside an extra $25K for the next few years upkeep, mods, insurance and gas. You will be fine then, unless gas goes up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like a few others have said, find a low mile CPO within your means so that you won't be footing the bill for any big repairs, and enjoy. I spent 3-4 months looking and very glad I held out for the right one...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've reached a sort of indecision about my potential purchase. The M6 that would be within price range for me to say no worries would be used from a private party with no sign of a warranty left.... likely why they're selling it. :) I've decided to wait until I get back to states and call my bank, make a retirement plan and start a college fund for my stepdaughter, then wait 3 months. After 3 months I'll be able to see what my financial state is and where my money's going. Then I can look into a CPO M6 for more than I would like to pay used, but I'm sure would be a better idea.

Most people that have legitemately tried to talk me out of this have in some way or another conveyed to me some sort of regret for not pursuing their dreams, even though they didn't mean to. What I've gathered talking with some ridiculously mechanically inclined individuals is that working on an M6 outside of warranty would be a huge pain and the parts would be harder to come by, but if I can work out the computer software BMW uses and if I have the patience I can do it. So for now I continue to research and wait. Always with the waiting. :)

I appreciate your responses as they have helped me greatly in completing my mental and logical roundabout for this being a good idea or not. I'm still sure it's a gross missuse of family funds, but I want to be able to get into something I have a passion for and do some race because it feels good racing in an outrageous car while I'm still young and continue to enjoy it as I get older.

Best of regards, and the desert sucks. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts