BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I have a hard decision to make. I have a 2003 jet black M5 that i got for my 17th birthday last year, the lease is up in december 05'. My dad gave me a few options: A) Give it back and get a new car (C6 Corvette?)
B) Re-lease it for another year and get some mods (rims) then get the new M3
If anyone could help it would be greatly apritiated. Also if you think option B is the way to go can you suggest any mods.

·
Banned
99 Posts
AFRM5 said:
HI, I have a hard decision to make. I have a 2003 jet black M5 that i got for my 17th birthday last year, the lease is up in december 05'. My dad gave me a few options: A) Give it back and get a new car (C6 Corvette?)
B) Re-lease it for another year and get some mods (rims) then get the new M3
If anyone could help it would be greatly apritiated. Also if you think option B is the way to go can you suggest any mods.
Dude, I wish I had your problems when I was seventeen.

Talk about spoiled....:3:

·
Registered
35 Posts
M5 driven by a child ... :crying2:
well i think this is not the right board for that kind of questions !
first of all, get a sense for such type of cars ...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Whats up with you guys?

I'll bet your parents had you all climbing up the chimneys to sweep soot when you were 17.

On my 18th my parents bought me a car, OK it was a 1.1 L fiesta :)haha2: ), but doesn't mean I was spoilt. The only thing we can infer from AFRM5 is that he has a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY cool Dad (and mum for going along with it) :M5thumbs:

Before taking option A, just go to a dealer and drive one, they sure as hell won't give you static if you call beforehand and rock up in a 2003 M5 will they? Then you can decide what you want, a classy woman, or a cheap boar (well, it rhymes with it)? :blink:

In all honesty, I think that both your muses (the M3, and vette) are a 'downgrade' from the M5. The M5 is an M5 - that is all you need know.

If you yearn for something more sporty and nimble, why not get a proper sports car? Keep the M5, and get a replica cobra, or lotus elise for the weekends, have the best of both worlds! You can pick up an AWESOME sports car for not a lot.

The grass may seem greener on the other side, but ill bet it won't taste as good!

All the best whatever you decide (even if you decide WRONG),

Stu

·
Registered
168 Posts
Great problem to have!

I recon your Mum will be happier with you smothered in M5 and all the proctection it can give in the event you make a mistake.

But If i were you id get shot of the M5 and go for the vette. Your only 17 once and driving a vette will prob go down a treat with the ladies.. and lets face it youve been there and done the M5 already!

Id say the M5 is quite a grown up car, and you have plenty of time yet...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Considering the age of most of the posters on this board, I think most of them are mature enough to not get into the whole "your a spoiled brat" argument.

The bigger issue is experience. Almost NO 17 year old has enough enough experience to be driving a high performance sports car like an M5, M3, or modern Corvette. When you have that kind of power on tap, you really need to know how to handle it, and recover when it gets out of control, and that doesn't come with anything but experience driving, and I don't me 2 or 3 years of driving around the city either. You can be wise and mature beyond your age, but that doesn't magically give you years of driving experience.

Add on top of that the fact that 99% of high school males are just driven by testerone alone and the desire to show off and look cool.

Now, I did say almost. There are always exceptions, like the few and far between who have been doing things like karting and other sanctioned race type events where you can gain the experience at a young age. I know of some guys who are 23-25 who are better drivers then most people over 40, but someone who is 23 has been driving at least 6 years, legally. Someone who is 18 has only been legally driving by themselves for 2 years, or 1 year in this case I believe.

stuart said:
Whats up with you guys?

I'll bet your parents had you all climbing up the chimneys to sweep soot when you were 17.

On my 18th my parents bought me a car, OK it was a 1.1 L fiesta :)haha2: ), but doesn't mean I was spoilt. The only thing we can infer from AFRM5 is that he has a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY cool Dad (and mum for going along with it) :M5thumbs:

Before taking option A, just go to a dealer and drive one, they sure as hell won't give you static if you call beforehand and rock up in a 2003 M5 will they? Then you can decide what you want, a classy woman, or a cheap boar (well, it rhymes with it)? :blink:

In all honesty, I think that both your muses (the M3, and vette) are a 'downgrade' from the M5. The M5 is an M5 - that is all you need know.

If you yearn for something more sporty and nimble, why not get a proper sports car? Keep the M5, and get a replica cobra, or lotus elise for the weekends, have the best of both worlds! You can pick up an AWESOME sports car for not a lot.

The grass may seem greener on the other side, but ill bet it won't taste as good!

All the best whatever you decide (even if you decide WRONG),

Stu

·
Registered
165 Posts
HDClown,

I do agree about your sentiments re: young drivers being less experienced (and more rash) in general. I have seen my driving change quite markedly over the 6-7 years I have been driving.

That said, I don't think that that is a sufficient argument for not driving nice cars when young. I my thoughts are like this, "so long as it won't bankrupt you if you write off an expensive car when young, why not?" - have no illusions though, you are almost certainly more likely to run out of talent showing off when younger.

I used to fly around with my best friend when we were 17 in an brand new E39 (back in the days ;)), a TVR cerbera, an M3 etc.. his dad had the cars, and let him drive them. It was great, we ruled the world kinggf

Stu

·
Registered
977 Posts
Money is one thing, but what about the safety of yourself and OTHERS?

Ok, so your family wants to let you drive a $70k+ car when you just get your license, they obviously can afford to deal with you totalling it. But can they deal with their kid killing themselves, or killing someone else because they are being wreckless, or get into some situation they don't know how to recover from?

I believe you are much more likely to get into trouble if your in a high powered vehcile then one that is more modest. You are just more inclined to use that power, all of us can agree to that, it's part of the reason we have M5's and other high performance sports cars.

stuart said:
HDClown,

I do agree about your sentiments re: young drivers being less experienced (and more rash) in general. I have seen my driving change quite markedly over the 6-7 years I have been driving.

That said, I don't think that that is a sufficient argument for not driving nice cars when young. I my thoughts are like this, "so long as it won't bankrupt you if you write off an expensive car when young, why not?" - have no illusions though, you are almost certainly more likely to run out of talent showing off when younger.

I used to fly around with my best friend when we were 17 in an brand new E39 (back in the days ;)), a TVR cerbera, an M3 etc.. his dad had the cars, and let him drive them. It was great, we ruled the world kinggf

Stu

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey man...i'm 24 and LOVE my M5. When I was younger, I liked F-body cars. I realized that they grow old quick. I was recently considering an M3 (before I got my car), but realized I have to have four doors due to business reasons. My advice to you is stick with the M5 and enjoy it. A lot of people will give you **** for what you drive, but nobody on here would have declined the opportunity you have. It is true, that you will not value it enough (not to say that you don't value it) until you pay you have paid for one yourself. That said, enjoy it...whatever it is you decide to drive!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
someday said:
Hey man...i'm 24 and LOVE my M5. When I was younger, I liked F-body cars. I realized that they grow old quick. I was recently considering an M3 (before I got my car), but realized I have to have four doors due to business reasons. My advice to you is stick with the M5 and enjoy it. A lot of people will give you **** for what you drive, but nobody on here would have declined the opportunity you have. It is true, that you will not value it enough (not to say that you don't value it) until you pay you have paid for one yourself. That said, enjoy it...whatever it is you decide to drive!
Lucky Lucky Lucky bstard - sod it son tell your old man to put his hand in his pocket and go for one of these, see my post A couple of little cars in a local dealers yesterday

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes and no HDClown.

We all live in a minimum risk socitety these days - this side of the pond the govenment would have us all drive at 30 mph in a 12HP Kia sportage or something like that - pah I say!

This thread started with a guy asking our opinions on what toy he should buy next, he didn't want a dress down and to be told that he is now a danger to others because he is young and drives a fast luxury car -thats lunacy!

I have seen FAR FAR FAR FAR (yes thats FAR^4 maths fans) more wrekless behaviour by 17yr olds in Vauxhall Novas than those who drive nice cars. It's fast cheap cars we should be worried about, not expensive ones. If you drive an M5, you respect it.

Just look at the insurance companies, if I were 17 again

I could get insured on a £4000 ford fiesta
I could get insured on a £25000 M5 - through a broker, it would cost a whack mind.
Like hell I could get sensibly insured on a £3000 renault turbo - they wouldnt let you.

I say go out and drive the nicest cars you can, eat the best food you can, and drink the best wine you can (though you will have to wait 4 years for this our AFRM5 ;))

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
YOu know most good race car drivers start young...Usally 8........I'm so tired of people looking down on others, those are usally the ones that need to look in the mirror.

To the dude wanting to keep or lose the m5, I say the only reason to dump the M is if you want pure speed and get the C6 z06...The c6's are fast but crap otherwise. Why not look into doing a s2 to the M. And in the future to avoid morons talking down on you don't say your dad is gonna get it for you, just say you have the chance to get somthing new.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jayson,

I agree with 1/2 of what you say, the top half. I can't find myself agreeing that an S2 conversion on a lease car is really the best thing to do though - rims are one thing, but if you start doing too much to it they may be funny when it comes to hand it back.

Stu

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not saying if i give back the M5 that i would definatly get the corvette. If anyone has any other cars to suggest ill look into it. thanks again for all the responses.

·
Registered
928 Posts
stuart said:
Whats up with you guys?

wha'.....? downgrade? cheap boar???????
M3 and downgrade... two word's should not be in the same sentence.
ZO6 and cheap boar...also, the two word's should not be in the same sentence.

·
Registered
165 Posts
OK OK, I'm not a vette guy - get me a TVR anyday. We'll put it down to cultural differences I think :thumbsup:

I guess if I replace 'vette' with 'TVR' in my mind as I read, I could be persuaded that a drop top lump of power would be a great change from the M5. That said, I still stand by my point of getting a fun weekend car - you get elises over there, lotus 7's? Something low low low, and light - power isn't really everything with these fun cars, they go enough. I'm sure your dad would agree to this, as it would be his plaything too!

Thats what I'd do anyway, I think an elise + M5 (or something like a cerbera 5.0 if you are being silly) make great stablemates - you get the best of both worlds.

Stu

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
stuart said:
Jayson,

I agree with 1/2 of what you say, the top half. I can't find myself agreeing that an S2 conversion on a lease car is really the best thing to do though - rims are one thing, but if you start doing too much to it they may be funny when it comes to hand it back.

Stu

I was acually thinking he would buy out the lease then do the s2, sorry should have said that more clear. I agree s2 on a lease would be foolish.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
AFRM5 said:
Im not saying if i give back the M5 that i would definatly get the corvette. If anyone has any other cars to suggest ill look into it. thanks again for all the responses.

m6, 645, ferrari 430, aston martin v8 or db9, viper, 575...whats the budget?

·
Registered
15 Posts
AFRM5,

My father let me buy his '02 beast from him earlier this year (obviously at a cut-rate price--which was my college graduation present; he gave me the choice of a new '05 M3 Competion Package (also his) or the M5, and I went with the Beast), so being 21, I sort of know where you're coming from on this.

First and foremost, nobody on this board is going to be able to answer questions for you when the ultimate answers to those questions are entirely dependent upon your desires and inclinations; this board is one of--if not the--best resources for information about any single vehicle, but even the experts here can't tell you what you want. Whether you want a pure speed machine (like a Z06), or whether you want what is arguably the very best coupe on the planet (M3 or Porsche GT3/Turbo), or whether you want to go with what is probably the classiest Super Sedan ever built (E39 M5)--these are all things that will ultimately be up to how you feel about it, and the fact of the matter is, the decision is probably not be made on reasoned analysis but on gut feeling. However, there are a few things that might go into determining that gut feeling

The M5 has a bunch of advantages.

1) It's practical; if you want to carry four or five people, it's as easy as carrying two. You can't say the same thing about a Z06 or even an M3. As a result, you'll almost always be the first choice of pretty girls when people need a ride.

2) Another advantage is that the M5 is understated; those who know about cars know what it is, but the average person isn't terribly likely to think you a jackass and key your car.

3) The Beast is a beast. She's got all sorts of low-end torque, and she's fast enough off the line that in any sort of contest (at the track or something similar, obviously; street racing is a Bad Idea), it's likely to come down to the skill of the drivers involved. Yes, there are some cars that will beat you off the line; my dad's M3 probably can beat the Beast from 0-30, but it's just about even once you get a car that does 0-60 in 4.7 (as your '03 should do with a perfect launch). It's doubly fun to see the look a Ricer's face when he's trying to get you to race on an empty highway, you do a 6 to 3 downshift, and punch it from 55 to 80. No need to race. He'll know he can't pull that kind of acceleration.

4) The Beast is great for any sort of trip. Where the M3 or Vette might not be comfortable for long-haul cruising, the M5 is perfectly happy for a long distance highway trip.

5) It's an M5, and with that comes a certain pride in knowing what a magnificent bit of automotive engineering you're driving. In my opinion, the Beast's classic lines will make it a significant piece of automotive history for a long time to come. It is really the last in the line of the evolution of the first Super Sedan. From what I can tell, the E39 body style is an evolution of the E34, which itself was an evolution of the E28, which was an evolution of the E12; these cars seem to be designed with the same funamental design philosophy in mind. The E60 seems more a complete redesign, from body styling to instrumentation, as BMW seems to be doing as of late. If you have a taste for such things, there's truly a magnificent history that culminates (and meets with some degree of ending) in the E39 M5. As such, the '03 E39 M5 truly marks the retirement of a great lineage in order to make way for the Next Generation.

6) Building on the last point, due to its long heredity, the issues of the E39 M5 are known and documented. From MAFS to VANOS to clutch issues, this board gives you the resources necessary to diagnose and fix any problem or issue that you have. That's not true of either the C6 or the E90 M3 (though it is true of the E46 M3).

7) The M5 is a true luxury vehicle. The seats are made of better leather than the M3 or Vette (or at least, that's the way it seems to me), and it just has the feeling of being a $75k vehicle. In comparison, the M3's interior seems cheap, as does the Z06.

8) Finally, as you can see with a quick perusal on this board, you can do any number of upgrades to the Beast to make her what you want. Want a car that will handle well enough on the track to give an M3 a run for its money? Add the PSS9 or Ground Control suspension. Want something that will have even more power? Add headers ($4k). Even more power? Bolt-on superchargers are finally getting Really Close to being on the market ($10k). Want to be less inconspicuous? Add the Tubi Rumore exhaust ($2.5k). Basically, what you do with your car is only limited by your budget and your imagination.

There are a couple of disadvantages of the M5 compared to the cars you've mentioned.

1) It's not going to be as quick through the slalom as an M3 or Z06. On a road track (like Watkin's Glen, for example) I'd wager than the M5 with an experienced driver would do very well for himself, but a stock M5 just has too much weight for the suspension system to let it be as fast as either of those performance coupes. Though that deficiency can be somewhat fixed by upgrading to a coil-over suspension.

2) It's understated. Yes, I listed this as an advantage, but if you're the type of guy who wants to roll up to a stop light next to a new Cobra Mustang and have the driver gives you a thumbs up for your car 100% of the time, the M5 isn't for you. She's very stealth (though a new exhaust would tend to fix that stealth "problem"), so you just have to decide whether you always want to be noticed or not.

3) The warranty will run out. This may be obvious, but some day your car's warranty will expire, leaving you with a car that is rather expensive to maintain. Though with your budget and possible vehicles, it doesn't sound like a maintenance cost is something you're going to lose sleep over. Still something to think about, though.

4) Compared to an M3 with the SMG transmission, driving the M5 is more work. But manuals are just that way. I would imagine the C6 Z06 would be of a similar effort to drive as the M5, but that's just a guess. My neighbor and father's best friend has a C5 Z06 that has nitrous and about 650HP at the wheels, and I can tell you that it is an absolute BEAR to drive. Or maybe a Boar :cool2:.

...Yeah, I guess that's about it. I'm sure I forgot something, but those are things to keep in mind. Oh yeah, if you're going to just get another sedan, obviously, I'd suggest just keeping your M5. In my opinion--maybe outside of an E60, but that remains to be decided--the E39 M5 is the best-in-show. Yes, the E55 AMG is a bit faster, but I just don't like the current Benz interiors and ride feeling (too close to my mom's E500 station wagon for me). Maybe it's just personal taste, but there you go.

I think ultimately, after all that, it comes down to what I said at the beginning--you have to decide what you want. Want a fast sports car? Get a vette or a viper. Want the world's best all-around coupe? Get the M3 or a 996 Turbo or GT3. Want the world's classiest (and imo best) super-sedan? Stay with what you got, and dance with what brung ya.

Hope that helped!

Lyn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts