BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted you guy's opinion on downshifting when you come to a traffic light in manual mode. I found that just letting the intelligent transmission downshift for me is smoother than when I do it.

Any thoughts?

:M5launch:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just wanted you guy's opinion on downshifting when you come to a traffic light in manual mode. I found that just letting the intelligent transmission downshift for me is smoother than when I do it.

Any thoughts?

:M5launch:
I prefer to downshift. If left in S-mode the car only downshifts at the vary last second rendering no benefit of the downshift probably why it is smoother. My opinion it is more of a safety feature then a downshift. If the downshifts are done around 3,000 rpm or less then it should be pretty smooth and still provide a braking benefit and smooth power if you need to accelerate all of the sudden. Seems never to be at the correct RPM unless I am shifting it. After all it is a MANUAL transmission. I found it to be smoothest when not using any of the automatic features and just manually doing everything. Just my .02 opinion.

Also, you may want to see this thread Post #5:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111846

·
Registered
831 Posts
I like to manually downshift myself because I never know when it is going to automatically go from 2 to 1, and have been caught in between and suddenly lurch and almost hit the car in front of me

·
Registered
792 Posts
I also downshift in manual mode for two reasons.
1) I figure the breaks are going to last longer that way.
2)The auto feature doesn't know what I'm thinking and may be in the wrong gear when I need it (ie: stopping at a light and the dam system is still in 2nd then the light turns green before the car is in 1st).

Manual mode all the way for me for downshifting:M5thumbs:

:cheers:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I usually drive in auto cause in the morning on my way to school not really in the mood to drive..... but as soon as im awake again i use manual and i usually let it downshift for me..... feels smoother

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
blkfast6
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing