BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted for some references in the local forum and I took part of the day to scout some local high line dealers for some examples of clear bra installs on older and newer cars. To say the least I was not impressed at all from the fading/discoloration to peeling to lack of coverage and distortion of the finish under film etc etc. I looked at a few BMW's, Infiniti's, MB's and Porsche's the worse one I had seen was on a 2008 M3 with only 19k. Of course noone knew type of film etc but the one installer that was recommended to me in another forum quoted me $420 on the phone and 800-900 in person (typical bumper, partial hood, partial fender and mirrors and from what he explained I cant put it on a "non factory" paint job or he doesnt recommend it. He stated that he did a job last week and while they were installing and positioning it the clear coat lifted and it was even fully cured. :confused2 And yes I asked if it was rattle can or Maaco or Earl Sheib and he didnt find that amusing.

I did the Google thing and searched the different types and everyones is better than the next guys or so they claim...Frustrating. So why am I posting this, for answers to the following:

1. how many people are using clear bra's to protect their paint and for how long? Any pics how it weathered?
2. what type of film was installed? thickness?
3. if your not using clear bra what are you using, if anything?
4. can I install it on a re-paint?
5. for those who did install what would you do differently?
6. i heard negatives about Speed Lingerie, anyone else back that up or dispute the negative press I heard?
7. were there any gaps when it was installed other than around the roundel, headlight squirters etc?
8. did you "touchup" any rock chips prior to install?

Sorry for the long thread and if this is wrong forum the moderators can move but not sure where else to put this to get the visibility. From some of the "For Sale" ads I see none has installed one. I did get a good deal from a fellow board member on a hood bra but other areas are not covered. I'm not in any rush but look forward to some seasoned members thoughts.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had it installed on my M with 2k miles on it since there were no chips in it yet, product was a 3M film cut by computer for application. Good product I would recommend 3M but be careful who installs it. Mine came out just ok with some distortions etc. I would have gladly paid more for a better install. My 350Z had it done and it was perfect with no flaws again all in the installation. It should hold up for a long time and can be replaced if paint work is needed as long as you wait long enough for the clear to fully cure. When I have the M redone I will explain to the installer that it will be redone as many times as necessary to get it right.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a 3M clear bra on my M5, and the other night a truck threw up a baseball sized rock which proceeded to hit my front bumper at 65 mph and cracked it. The repair shop quoted me $500 to remove and reapply the film. If it wasn't there, I wouldn't incur that cost. So, it is a give and take, it can protect from chips, but it costs more than repainting the whole bumper ($375) just to take it off and reapply if you have a problem. I'm not sure if I'd do it again...

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I plan on installing a full frontal clear bra on my beast when I have it polished this spring. Going full frontal is much more expensive than partial but I couldn't live with the horizontal strip across my hood. To me the protection is worth it in the long run, especially on my JetBlack paint. The front of my car is riddled with rock chips and it makes my skin crawl.

If you seek out a proper and reputable auto salon you should have little concern for quality. In my opinion this is something that if done, needs to be done right by the right people. Don't settle for the cheapest price, quality counts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've got 3M film and see no signs of discoloration. Had it for 2 years. Very happy with the install and protection. From 3 feet away, you can't see it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had to take my protective film off on my hood and fenders but I'm installing a new film this spring once the car comes out of storage.
I'm doing the whole hood and fenders. I don't like the line either and if it's properly installed it's hard to see there is a film installed. The roads are full of rocks here in the spring and the clear bra really does a great job protecting the car.

I installed the film before on another car myself. Bought it by the meter and cut it myself when I was applying it. It just takes a lot of time when you're not experienced and care about every little detail.

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I prefer the Ventureshield product over the 3M - it's thinner, less orange peel, and just as protective. Always have it installed by a professional.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have 3M installed on Jet Black and have had it for more than a year. It didn't previously have any protection and it was obvious by the rock chips, but those were touched up. The E60 which is also Jet Black, has it as well. I wouldn't have it any other way. My family and I basically live in our cars as we travel quite a bit. I've seen where some pebble/rocks tried to penetrate the film but couldn't. I once scraped the lip on the front bumper; It was the film that was rubbed and not the paint.

I don't mind the way it looks. It makes the front end shiny even when its dirty :)

Stone-x is the name of mine: STONE - X : CLEARLY SUPERIOR
The cleaner and polish they recommend: Introducing Plexus Plastic Cleaner

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all who responded. So I didnt see how long I should wait after repaint before applying, one in a linked post said 90days is that accurate?

Also noone responded about the speed lingerie I assume its not an option folks would consider though its cheaper than a clear bra. Im all about being able to see the depth of the paint after a good wax and worry that will be gone with a clear bra. Does the clear bra magnify any imperfections in the paint like swirls or spider webs etc?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks all who responded. So I didnt see how long I should wait after repaint before applying, one in a linked post said 90days is that accurate?

Also noone responded about the speed lingerie I assume its not an option folks would consider though its cheaper than a clear bra. Im all about being able to see the depth of the paint after a good wax and worry that will be gone with a clear bra. Does the clear bra magnify any imperfections in the paint like swirls or spider webs etc?
No comment on the repainting waiting period or the Speed Lingerie, as I've never heard of it. I just know of 3M and Speed Film. Before installing the film, detail the area where the film will be applied. The paint touch-ups or deep scratches will show, especially on darker colored cars; I wouldn't say it magnifies them. The film itself could get swirls that can be polished out. As mentioned before, it does have orange peel so it can disguise a few imperfections here and there. Nothing drastic. 3M film is thick but used more for protection than beauty :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
884 Posts
How long you wait after a repaint depends on the time of year climate etc. Northeast winter months 90 days, summer 60 days is sufficient. There is also a polish for the film plexus (I think).

·
Registered
245 Posts
From what I have read, the yellowing depends on the quality of the film and how you take care of it. You should use some sort of wax to protect it.

About the wait on the paint. Paint shops often install the film on cars right after the painting process. I was told by a paint shop that it takes about 3 months for the paint to harden properly.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Do not install after painting until the paint has had ample time to cure, if you install right after painting the solvents will have no place to go same reason you do not wax a car after painting.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have 3M on both vehicles, use the Plexus cleaner but some of the quick detail sprays work fine as well. I've had it on my Truck longer but haven't noticed any yellowing. You can wax on it directly as well when detailing the car, also a little trick if you find any minor scratches in the clear bra hit it with a heat gun and they will disappear. A professional installation is a must!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all for the feedback. For those that have installed how many are extended or full coverage on the front end?

Randysv10 - if your in NOVA who did your install?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback. For those that have installed how many are extended or full coverage on the front end?

Randysv10 - if your in NOVA who did your install?
The guys who did the installs is from Richmond, does the install right at the house. Not sure how far he'd be willing to travel but it was about an hour travel time to my place. Let me know if you want his contact number and I will send it to you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts