BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are more and more titanium aftermarket exhausts being offered and this just leaves me wondering do these exhausts offer any benefits besides being lighter?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
frylord said:
There are more and more titanium aftermarket exhausts being offered and this just leaves me wondering do these exhausts offer any benefits besides being lighter?
Titanium is a bit stronger, and more corrosion resistant than ss. The only real benefit is weight.

·
Registered
418 Posts
jfenley said:
So, there is no difference in the exhaust note?
I am told that for a given system with design being constant (i.e. Eisenmann Race vs. upcoming Eisenmann titanium version), the sound and flow is the same. The titanium is lighter and that's about it...

Otherwise, I guess its more exotic and definitely more expensive...I believe significantly so. In my opinion, the weight difference has no chance of being enough for it to help justify the cost difference. I guess it just appeals to some people...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Much more expensive, lighter, and turns a really nice color after it heats up. I believe it also heats and cools faster and if true it would give an impercievable improvement in power when the motor is cold. Not worth it for a 4100 # street car however something like a sport bike you would be able to feel the lower center of gravity and the weight savings would be dramatic enough that you may notice. Tim

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ti..set-up's do sound different.....can't beat them imo.

I've had a few different Ti exhuast on different car's and here's my contorbution:

-Yes Ti is stronger but it is also more britle than a S.S set-up...I.E the welds, this generally has to do with how the welds were done. One-off, or smaller race shops that make the "cut & weld" bends...(where they cut small sections and weld to make several pieces to make the bend)....have a tendency to be weak at the welds sometime's.....Granted your won't find a better looking set-up.:D ..and in some case they can be stronger but, when welding with Ti. you have to surround the welded material in it's own gas to get a sound weld or else it will become britle.

The newer mandrel bent set-ups seem to be good and have machine welds on them but they also tend to be a little heaver than the hand made set-ups

-Ti...in my experience is generally louder as well.(even if the design and packing is the same) I did have one Ti set-up that was actually very quite...but it was totally against the norm.

-IMO Ti set-up's are able to produce a higher pitch note...just something about the way the Ti resonates.

And yes they are awsome light!...

On my RS. I was able to to save 102 lbs by going with a Ti exhuast and Ti tower bar.

Not saying we sould strip our 5's but...100 lbs is a 100lbs

btw...anyone take a look at the battery in the trunk...:eek:

take care,

Paul

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chaos270 said:
Much more expensive, lighter, and turns a really nice color after it heats up. I believe it also heats and cools faster and if true it would give an impercievable improvement in power when the motor is cold. Not worth it for a 4100 # street car however something like a sport bike you would be able to feel the lower center of gravity and the weight savings would be dramatic enough that you may notice. Tim
I have a Titanium exhaust on my bike and yes you are right, on a bike every KG of saved weight counts and makes a big difference. I doubt that the saved wieght will make a significant difference on the already "heavy" M5 though.

My ZX-12R weighs 210 kg, if you can save just 2 kg then that's already 1%, but the thing is that aftermarket exhaust also give you more bhp, 10 to 20 bhp more which also makes a big difference.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Weight - if look at the upgraded "loony spec" verions of The Konig CCR and the Club Sport Zonda , you'll see Ti used in exhausts - sometimes headers - sconnecting rods and even wheel nuts. Some people might claim sound and HP differences - but I can bet if you asked the Car design/engineers why they would chant the mantra - weight weight weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts