BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used '93 M5 with Michelin Pilots. They have some useful tread remaining, but they will need to be replaced this summer. I will use the vehicle mainly for commuting 70 miles per day on a well maintained Interstate. I also plan to attend 2 driving schools per year, but no club racing. What tire do you recommend?

G

·
0 Posts
I have changed tyres of my 89 M5 in these days, I have buyed Pirelli P 7000. In the middle way from sport and longevity. Also the Bridgestone are Italy BMW official service recommanded. But they have a short life!

------------------
Gifo

·
Registered
298 Posts
I will finish the Michelin MXX3s this summer, and I have already posted my dislike of these here. During winter, while I use the 17-inch winter tires, I will put on the (18 inch) Dunlop SP9000s I ordered; they are great on my 1983 911 Turbo, with incredible mileage and wear characteristics. I hope they will behave as well on the M5.
Regards, George

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you plan on doing some driving schools I would recommend either Yokohama AVS Sports ($170)or Bridgestone SO2's ($230). The Yoko's are a great deal for the performance. I have also heard good things about the SP9000 but did hear the sidewall is a bit sloppy on the 17" version.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're driving 15-20K miles/yr + 2 driving schools, then any <=200 treadwear tire won't last more than a year.

Seriously consider getting a 2nd set of wheels with >=300 treadwear tires like the Pirelli 7000 or Michelin XGTZ4 for daily commuting and saving the S02PP/Pilot Sport/Dunlop Sport for the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts