BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You need to provide wheel widths and offsets so that your setup can be analyzed. The rubbing is most likely from the inner fender well plastic trim which sits just proud of the rest of the wheel well. I think in the pic above someone zizzed theirs off which should cure it.

My rear is factory 9.5" ET -28 with a +12 mm spacer so the effective ET is -16. Very occasionally it hits that plastic piece.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Ok guys so i finally got under the car this afternoon and here what i saw the tires were rubbing right were the rear fender and bumper meet as shown in the pictures below. so i went ahead and took off the 10mm spacers of and also did some trimming around the plastic that was around that same area to make sure i won't have this issue again. while i was at it did my first oil change on my own after 4000 miles. took the car for a drive and so far no rubbing at all. tomorrow i will put a few people in the car to see how that goes.

a few things i also found out. so when i took the wheels off in the inside it said made in taiwan i guess that tells me they are replicas.
also this were the numbers on the wheel- 19x10jj, ET 2/3, 173 and the weight of 690KG. please let me know if this are the numbers to determine the offset.

thanks again guys and i think my problem is solve. thank god i did it today because my fender was looking bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not sure about the offset - best to measure with the wheel off the car
5x20??? 5x120 would be the bolt pattern
19x10 = 19 inch diameter wheel, 10 inches wide - this is wider than OEM stock which is 9.5 inches - iirc.

Hope the spacer removal works out when you put a few folks in the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
yeah thats very strange those were the only numbers i saw on the inside part of the wheel. so lets hope removing the spacers and a few plastic pieces i trimmed of would solve the issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i was thinking to go with 5mm spacers if what i did today works? what do you guys think... i just want the wheels to come out a bit more then they are right now without the spacers. but i guess is just trial and error until i figure what won't rubbed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i was thinking to go with 5mm spacers if what i did today works? what do you guys think... i just want the wheels to come out a bit more then they are right now without the spacers. but i guess is just trial and error until i figure what won't rubbed.
To play it safe, I wouldn't go w/ more than 5mm. Can't really tell how much the tires were rubbing from the pics you posted but reinstalling the 10mm is the only way to really find out. Changing the EDC settings also helps but your passengers in the back seat may not like that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
yeah i was thinking of driving it this week without the spacers and see how that feels and if it doesn't rub at all then ill go ahead and try the 5mm spacers. sorry about the pictures they weren't too clear @IGNANT but it was pretty much rubbing exactly where yours was right were the back bumper and fender meet.. it was already eating the fender part really bad like another week of it and it would of been a problem.

·
Registered
512 Posts
yeah i was thinking of driving it this week without the spacers and see how that feels and if it doesn't rub at all then ill go ahead and try the 5mm spacers. sorry about the pictures they weren't too clear <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @IGNANT <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> but it was pretty much rubbing exactly where yours was right were the back bumper and fender meet.. it was already eating the fender part really bad like another week of it and it would of been a problem.
Sorry, I meant the picture of your tire. The point where it rubs, is it flat & completely smooth? You have a solid plan, drive w/o spacers, EDC set to softest setting w/ passengers.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
yeah it was pretty much flat and smooth. if a few more days would of went by i think it would penetrated the fenders completely. but i have felt anything rubbing so far and i also cut some plastic that wa around that area just to be safe. i will keep everyone i updated today after i drive the car for a few hours.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
so i drove the car today with 3 people and had the EDC with both lights on so the most sporty version. realized that i was getting some rubbing but this time in the front of the car. didn't get any rubbing in the back tho. so i put the EDC setting to just one light on and then my problems seem to solve so far no rubbing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
guys i think the issue is solve for now, i drove the car to and from work this morning and so far no rubbing. it was just me in the car but even then i was having an issue before. so i think removing the spacers and doing some grinding help with this issue. i will keep everyone posted if something changes. thanks everyone for their help and special thanks to IGNANT for the pictures and the quick replys.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Rolling the fenders or quarters, did the body shop mention that dirt and moisture will get trapped in this area, creating rust. It's been my practice to clean the inner lips when I was my cars, especially on the quarters to prevent rust.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
12 Participants
fortis
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing