BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I have had Dunlop SP8000's (liked those ok), and Sumitomo's that are currently on the car(these are severely warped, like driving a tractor when they're cold). Anyway, I would like to solicit a response from the gruppe as to your tire recommendations. I am not looking for a 5000 mile tire that costs $250/each, but would like something that will get me a few miles (15-20k) and at a reasonable price.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Of course, the mileage you'll get depends purely on your driving style.

I thoroughly recommend Bridgestone Potenza S03s. They seem to last well (although I did almost kill a set on Saturday on a track) and are brilliant in the wet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
AndyE said:
Of course, the mileage you'll get depends purely on your driving style.

I thoroughly recommend Bridgestone Potenza S03s. They seem to last well (although I did almost kill a set on Saturday on a track) and are brilliant in the wet.
If they are anything like the previous version, SO2 which I had on my M3, then these should be great.

Although tyres on my car are not that low I am looking at new boots already and I think this is going to be my choice too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
Simonal said:
If they are anything like the previous version, SO2 which I had on my M3, then these should be great.

Although my car is not that low I am looking at new boots already and I think this is going to be my choice too.
Unfortunately they are not even half the tyre the S-02 was, not as good in the dry or the wet.

P-Zeros last a while (mine did 10k miles), the rest of my tyres have done track days so I can't really fairly compare them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
not even half the tyre the S-02 was
I don't really agree with that - I was quite pleased with an apparent reduction in noise and improvement in the wet over the S02s I had on the M5 previously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
That's really strange as I just could not get used to the amount of sliding in the wet - there seemed to be no lateral grip whatsoever - fun, but didn't feel particularly like pushing on.

Swapped them for Yoko AVS Sports which were brilliant in the dry, but lethal in the wet - think Avon slick levels of grip in the wet!

Pirelli P-Zero, Continental Sport-Contact 2 and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 all feel very similar on the car to each other (i.e. good grip wet or dry, decent level of life, and not 'too' expensive' - £150 or so)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
That's really strange as I just could not get used to the amount of sliding in the wet - there seemed to be no lateral grip whatsoever - fun, but didn't feel particularly like pushing on.

Swapped them for Yoko AVS Sports which were brilliant in the dry, but lethal in the wet - think Avon slick levels of grip in the wet!

Pirelli P-Zero, Continental Sport-Contact 2 and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 all feel very similar on the car to each other (i.e. good grip wet or dry, decent level of life, and not 'too' expensive' - £150 or so)!
Well I have P-Zero's on the car at present and I do like them but I have nothing to compare them with on the M5. In the past I have found Pirelli's were not that good in the wet but the last time I had them on a car was a while ago these seem completly different.

The SO2's were fantastic and I did not seem to remember much noise although over the sound of a of a highly tuned:M5rev: 4 cyl engine engine played back through a thin canvas roof could have a bearing on the noise factor...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I recently removed my Yokohama AVS Sports and put Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for the winter. I thought the Yokos were OK they were noisy but that did not bother me. My issue with them is the tramlining. The roads around here are rutted and the car darted all over the place. After changing to the Dunlops the car does not follow the ruts. Can anyone tell me how the S03's are in regards to tramlining?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
E34M5 Scott said:
I recently removed my Yokohama AVS Sports and put Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for the winter. I thought the Yokos were OK they were noisy but that did not bother me. My issue with them is the tramlining. The roads around here are rutted and the car darted all over the place. After changing to the Dunlops the car does not follow the ruts. Can anyone tell me how the S03's are in regards to tramlining?
Yes AVS were truly awful in the wet I had them on a four wheel drive performace car and the thing seemed to slid in the wet everytime you just looked at a corner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
I just put on four Pilot Sport All Season the other day. I was leaning on buying the summer performance pilot sports or the PS2, however, the tire man gave high praise for the all seasons. He said the others dont give that much of an advantage in perfomance while the All seasons can be used year round and last longer. So far they look mean and quick. Good Luck. I been researching for tires for the past 2 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Ultimately, as long as you avoid Nankang, YungFuk, Barum and the like, you shouldn't make a bad choice.

We all have differing opinions, and none of the aforementioned tyres are bad.

Good luck, as a guide (as M-Five said) I too pay £150 per tyre for 18"s.

The Contis are a little bit cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
I've been quite happy with my Continental SportContact 2. Maybe not the ultimate dry weather grip but good in the rain and have good dry weather balance. Haven't track day'd yet so can't comment on that.


Got the rears ( 245/17/40 ) for £250 all in.


:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
vadas1 said:
I've been quite happy with my Continental SportContact 2. Maybe not the ultimate dry weather grip but good in the rain and have good dry weather balance. Haven't track day'd yet so can't comment on that.


Got the rears ( 245/17/40 ) for £250 all in.


:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)
I've got Pilot 2's on mine and they seem to cope well in the wet and dry. Likewise I have not gone near the track yet, but they do get a pasting daily and seem to be fine!!

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
E34M5 Scott said:
I recently removed my Yokohama AVS Sports and put Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for the winter. I thought the Yokos were OK they were noisy but that did not bother me. My issue with them is the tramlining. The roads around here are rutted and the car darted all over the place. After changing to the Dunlops the car does not follow the ruts. Can anyone tell me how the S03's are in regards to tramlining?
I found the S03s had no tramlining but after a fairly short time and a bit of wear started to tramline like mad. It may not have been the fault of the tyres however as I've had just about every bit of the front suspension changed now. I've now got Goodyear F1s on (done around 2500miles) and have no tramlining whatsoever as yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
AndyE said:
Ultimately, as long as you avoid Nankang, YungFuk, Barum and the like, you shouldn't make a bad choice.

We all have differing opinions, and none of the aforementioned tyres are bad.

Good luck, as a guide (as M-Five said) I too pay £150 per tyre for 18"s.

The Contis are a little bit cheaper.
I've not heard of YungFuk before but i'd be prepared to give it a try :1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
AndyE said:
Ultimately, as long as you avoid Nankang, YungFuk, Barum and the like, you shouldn't make a bad choice.

We all have differing opinions, and none of the aforementioned tyres are bad.

Good luck, as a guide (as M-Five said) I too pay £150 per tyre for 18"s.

The Contis are a little bit cheaper.
I heard that HungLo tyres are the ultimate for low riding.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
BURTON said:
I like the SO2's thought they were a very good tyre. The P Zeros also. Has anyone tried Toyo Proxys?
Not on the M5 but on another performance car, a Mk3 Golf VR6 Synhro (4 wheel drive) and they were very good but I am not sure how well they would work on an M5. Should be fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
I used to use Bridgestone S02's but never went to the S03 after hearing poor reviews. I now have Falken FK 451's on both the M5 and the M3 after a fellow M5 owner who does a lot of laps at the Nurburgring recommended them. I'm pleased with them as they grip well in the dry and on the M3 they were very good in the wet at both the 'ring and Donington Park.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Blimey thats a rare old beast the VR6 Syn!! I was all VW uptill about a few weeks ago when I got rid of my Last VW, a R32 golf! She wore Piolits! Not nice!!!
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top