BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I still haven't put winter tires on the M5. Have a Jeep that I drive in the winter here in Virginia and I've generally been fine with it. But I'm really starting to get the urge to get the M out and open it up. I think it's supposed to be mid 40s this weekend, so I think the tires should be fine for at least cruising around.

Just a random gripe. I figured you guys would understand.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My beast is a year 'round beast. I'm running my OEM wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, and leaving the DSC on.

Works just fine.

This morning I was taking a corner and turned off the traction control just before the turn. Did a nice little slide coming out of it and just kept on goin'.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the Sport summer tires. I've heard they turn to little rocks around the freezing point. Actually never pushed it to see; guess I could do that if I get bored (and have room to slide).

Anyone actually pushed the Z-rated tires at 40 degrees and below? How significant is the traction loss? I'm not actually thinking about making it a habit of pushing the car in the cold on summer tires, but curious how significant the traction loss really is.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I hear you....

Today is the third time I drive the car since mid December. It has been a cold and slippewry winter here this year.....
But when I drive - like this morning - you do feel in love with it all over again!

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I've got the Sport summer tires. I've heard they turn to little rocks around the freezing point. Actually never pushed it to see; guess I could do that if I get bored (and have room to slide).

Anyone actually pushed the Z-rated tires at 40 degrees and below? How significant is the traction loss? I'm not actually thinking about making it a habit of pushing the car in the cold on summer tires, but curious how significant the traction loss really is.
Drive it once in the snow and you won't be wondering whether you've "lost some traction", you'll be wondering whether you ever had any to begin with.

I just mounted my snows - I went from being unable to back out of my space after shoveling to driving through 4" of snow to make it easier to shovel...

Snows rule!

d-

·
Registered
97 Posts
Winter came early in New England and has stayed. I drove with my PS2's into December when it was in the low 20's. I did get a couple of Tire Defect warnings when it first got cold.
I now have winter tires all around. If I lived in VA, I'd go with all seasons in the winter.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So, I still haven't put winter tires on the M5. Have a Jeep that I drive in the winter here in Virginia and I've generally been fine with it. But I'm really starting to get the urge to get the M out and open it up. I think it's supposed to be mid 40s this weekend, so I think the tires should be fine for at least cruising around.

Just a random gripe. I figured you guys would understand.
I used to take the same approach as you; let the M5 sit out the mess of winter and drive a Jeep Cherokee. I used the M on clear days and the just was mindful of the limited traction in sub freezing temps. Think easy full lock powerslides in silence and no tire smoke.

But it was only a matter of time that I was going get bit by using those summer tires, and it seemed a waste to have the M sit for long periods. Unless you are one day headed for Barrett Jackson with a 100% clean example, what's the point.

Now I use winter tires and couldn't be happier. The stability control system is much more advanced than the rudimentary Jeep Cherokee ABS, and the M has much better climate control, has heated seats, etc. The Jeep now sits out the winter except for deep snow and the M is generally used even more than our X3 in the winter for family outings b/c it is vastly more comfy. If I could only figure out how to fashion a hitch receiver to the M, the Jeep would defintely be down the road.

Think about it; the M was designed well for winter use. Don't miss out.:M5launch:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
JPGisMe, definitely get yourself some snow tires and maybe some different rims to stick them on and you won't be sorry but will appreciate your M WAY more! I'm running Pirelli Snowsport 210's on 17" BMW alloys. They perform very well overall but are more meant for higher speed performance than traction on ice. They worked beautifully on my 2000 mile+ road trip from Montreal to Saskatoon! You just have to remember to take it easy, allow for greater stopping distances and know when you need to turn DSC off to get moving. For example, if you're going up an icy slope, you absolutely have to turn it off or you will go NOWHERE! If ya get stuck, turn it off to rock yourself out, etc. but you probably know all of that already since it is just common sense.

So in closing, you will enjoy your beast way more if you can safely drive it in the winter with proper tires!:wroom:

I still can't get over how well DSC works and that it doesn't need a block heater in -30 Celsius weather.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
NC doesn't get much winter and only moderately cold temps but its enough for me. I keep the 550i in the garage on bad days (snow, ice storms, even real rainy days). I've had a 2nd vehicle since owning the '02 M5. Yesterday was in the 30s (teens in the morning) but dry so I drove the 550i. A friend wanted a demo ride. I punched it hard off the line and got suprising little traction so DSC limited the fun. The car finally hooked and scared the guy. I've got the Conti Sport Contacts like most new M5s. They seem OK in the cold and wet but obviously don't have the traction of an all season, let alone a winter tire.

EDIT: Changed muck winter to much winter even though "muck" actually worked. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got BOOOLD High performance All season tires looooove it!

I think is suppose to b mid to high 40 in Tuesday

1 - 12 of 12 Posts