BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Tirecontrol Inactive

4K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  frankse39m5 
#1 ·
Been fighting this issue for about a year or so. I've replaced the ABS Module as well as the ABS pump. Tried resetting by turning key to ign, push the tire pressure button until I get the message "set tire pressure", after about one mile, tirecontrol inactive message appears. If I push the button again, it may go off (showing the two triangles) but will come on again. Any ideas?

Thanks

#3 ·
Yes - I have thought about that. Unfortunately, the RDC is specific to the E39 M5 - so I can't go to the local salvage yard and pull one from any 5 series. Either used on eBay or new at FCP Euro.
One other thing, when we scanned the car, the only fault was "8 - RPA speed pulses FR". Don't think it's the speed sensor because I am not getting the ABS trifecta.

Thank you

#4 ·
Have you messed with your Nav/Radio combination? Why the RDW has a connection to Nav I have no idea, but it was the cause of the last long term Diagnosis. There is a thread on the diagnosis started by Xrviz, it has the most complete info in recent times of the system. Punchline is the RDW do fail but I thought that the people that do the ABS can do those too?

#5 ·
Many issues to consider here. Have you trying replacing or swapping the front speed sensors? That would be first thing to do.
If you did testing at the ABS connector it's possible you widened the female connector so it's not making a good connection anymore. They can be replaced.
You can get a used RDW from Clemster for cheap.
If all those things are cleared you will may need to test for a short in the wiring around the RDW.

#7 ·
Many issues to consider here. Have you trying replacing or swapping the front speed sensors? That would be first thing to do.
If you did testing at the ABS connector it's possible you widened the female connector so it's not making a good connection anymore. They can be replaced.
You can get a used RDW from Clemster for cheap.
If all those things are cleared you will may need to test for a short in the wiring around the RDW.
I ordered a new speed sensor so I'll get that in as soon as possible. I did suspect the connector at one point so I may carefully go over that again or see if it could be replaced. RDW looks like it is next on the shopping list. Thanks!

#15 ·
Here's my thread if you want to learn a little more on the system.

#16 ·
That was an interesting write up. The only thing I could do was check the wheel sensor - they all check out okay. I even replaced the brake pressure sensor. The only other thing that I read was when the ABS modul;e is replaced, it needs to be flashed by the dealer. maybe I should try that as one last final effort. Thanks!!

#17 ·
That is to calibrate the steering angle sensor. Yes do that. Also use your code scanner to recheck and see if you are still getting the same code for RPA front rightwheel pulse, now that you have replaced the module. If the code changed it would tell me the problem is still the module. If not it's wiring and you can then test that.

#20 ·
Update - When I spoke to the service writer, he said RDW. Apparently he mis-spoke, when I looked at the electronic estimate, it said DSC (too many acronyms). The DSC in my car was from a 540. The original one could not get rebuilt according to the folks that I sent it to. I will be ordering a new one from ECS for half the price and have the dealer program it either in a few weeks or the spring. Hopefully this will fix it and I can move on with life :) Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.