BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The situation is this... My parents have 540i sport package and it got into a scuffle with the exhaust system from a bus on the freeway (along with about 5 other cars). Bottomline, the insurance company is replacing all 4 wheels and they can choose which replacement wheels they want (doesnt have to be the original styling, but shoudl be OEM).

Stock they had the M-Parallel Spoke 66 (which are a 17" wheel). I told them if they had the opportunity and wanted OEM replacements to get the M-Parallel Spoke 37's (The true M-Parallels), which are 18's. They will fit that car and should not have any rubbing issues and will look good too. They came as standard equipment on the 2003 540i 6spd-sport package I had prior to the M5.

This is where the question comes in. My parents are not out hot rodding the car and my father gets irritated at the fact that he gets poor tire wear as it is with the 17's (maybe they are out hot rodding it... LOL). He was all ready to go with my suggestion and then calls Les Schwabb Tires and the guy there tells him that if he thinks the wear was bad on the 17's it is about to get far worse on the 18's. Is this true??? On the M5 I have the stock 18's (M-Parallel Spoke II 65) and have drifted that car and all kinds of fun stuff and still got 20K out the stock set, granted they were slicks when they were replaced by the PS2's I currently have.

Nontheless, will the 18's offer far inferior tread life as compared to the 17's when driven under the same driving conditions?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
SACM5 said:
Nontheless, will the 18's offer far inferior tread life as compared to the 17's when driven under the same driving conditions?
I can think of no basis in fact why 18s would wear faster than 17s under the same conditions. While it may be true that, in general, Les the tire guy sees faster wear rates on 18s vs. 17s, it is much more likely that it is due to more aggressive driving habits are combined more readily with higher performance rubber (more stick, softer compound, less wear). The tire guy's conclusion is faulty.

FWIW, my wifey has 18" PS1s on the M-parallel spoke OE wheels on her E38 740iSport--the very same tires I have on my Beast. I can tell you for a fact that she is getting far greater treadwear on the 7er than I do on my M5, despite her 10% disadvantage in mass.***

And yes, I do believe it's all about driving style, given that we travel the same highways and byways.....

***EDIT: Please note that the 10% disadvantage in mass was related to the 7er, and not to my wife. If you've seen me, and you thought my wife was me + 10%, then you'd prolly not want to meet her....

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good information.

It sounds like there is no way the taller wheel/tire would have anything to do with tire wear. Any other experiences?

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SACM5 said:
This is where the question comes in. My parents are not out hot rodding the car and my father gets irritated at the fact that he gets poor tire wear as it is with the 17's (maybe they are out hot rodding it... LOL). He was all ready to go with my suggestion and then calls Les Schwabb Tires and the guy there tells him that if he thinks the wear was bad on the 17's it is about to get far worse on the 18's. Is this true??? On the M5 I have the stock 18's (M-Parallel Spoke II 65) and have drifted that car and all kinds of fun stuff and still got 20K out the stock set, granted they were slicks when they were replaced by the PS2's I currently have.

"Please chime in"? That is like waving a red flag to a bull with this group! :1: Nonetheless, I don't see why larger tires would have any significant effect on tire wear. To the contrary, since the weight is spread more evenly over a slightly larger footprint, wear should be slightly better. I say get the M5 wheels. Worst case is you sell/trade down and get something else.
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,455 Posts
Les schwab's opinion may be related to the type of tire you can find in an 18 vs 17. I'd say most 18" tires are more performance oriented tires, with a lower treadwear rating, where you can get all kinds of 17's now, with harder tread compounds.
fwiw, my 528, with 17's went thru tires pretty quickly (SO3's), i was getting about 16k out of the fronts and 10-12k out of the rears which is faster than I seem to wear the tires on the M5.
Mike

gsfent said:
"Please chime in"? That is like waving a red flag to a bull with this group! :1: Nonetheless, I don't see why larger tires would have any significant effect on tire wear. To the contrary, since the weight is spread more evenly over a slightly larger footprint, wear should be slightly better. I say get the M5 wheels. Worst case is you sell/trade down and get something else.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry
I dont think E39 M5 wheels will fit on the 540i without some modification (ie. rolling the fenders and changing to an M5 liner). Otherwise that would be a great idea. The M-parallels are about the most I can fit under there without creating other issues.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mottati said:
Les schwab's opinion may be related to the type of tire you can find in an 18 vs 17. I'd say most 18" tires are more performance oriented tires, with a lower treadwear rating, where you can get all kinds of 17's now, with harder tread compounds.
fwiw, my 528, with 17's went thru tires pretty quickly (SO3's), i was getting about 16k out of the fronts and 10-12k out of the rears which is faster than I seem to wear the tires on the M5.
Mike

That too is a good point regarding the tire compounds. Does anyone know in an 18" what tire brand/model will give the best tire life, if performance is not really an issue. Just all out tire life period. Or perhaps a good bang for the buck in terms of tire life vs. price.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SACM5 said:
I dont think E39 M5 wheels will fit on the 540i without some modification (ie. rolling the fenders and changing to an M5 liner). Otherwise that would be a great idea. The M-parallels are about the most I can fit under there without creating other issues.
You may be right on fitment. I thought the M5 wheels were an option for the M pak on 540i's, but it might be a similar looking wheel. You might want to check with Dave Z next week, he is pretty knowledgable.
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,455 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems if you put 265/35-18's on the rear. If you want 275's you might need the m5 wheel well liners and possibly rolled fender lips. I had 265-35's on my 528 on 18x9" alpina wheels with no clearance issues at all.
Mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mottati said:
You shouldn't have any problems if you put 265/35-18's on the rear. If you want 275's you might need the m5 wheel well liners and possibly rolled fender lips. I had 265-35's on my 528 on 18x9" alpina wheels with no clearance issues at all.
Mike
True but the M5 wheels are 275's. The reason I suggested the m-parallels was because they are a 265 and I didnt think there would be any rubbing issues.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SACM5 said:
True but the M5 wheels are 275's. The reason I suggested the m-parallels was because they are a 265 and I didnt think there would be any rubbing issues.
No, those are tire sizes, not wheel sizes. M5 are 18 inch diameter , 8 inch wide in the front and 9.5 inch wide in the rear. So a 265 would be a little smaller tire than a 275 tire and will both fit on the rear 9.5 inch rear wheel, but the 265 will give a little more clearance.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gsfent said:
No, those are tire sizes, not wheel sizes. M5 are 18 inch diameter , 8 inch wide in the front and 9.5 inch wide in the rear. So a 265 would be a little smaller tire than a 275 tire and will both fit on the rear 9.5 inch rear wheel, but the 265 will give a little more clearance.
Regards,
Jerry
True but 9.5" X 18" rear of the M5 wheel is the kicker. The m-parallel is a 9" X 18". Either way I know wihtout modification or gogin to a M5 knockoff wheel that is a diffrent size I will have clearance problems and rubbing if I go with the M5 wheel.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
SACM5 said:
Good information.

It sounds like there is no way the taller wheel/tire would have anything to do with tire wear. Any other experiences?
Look at the number by the AA rating... like 180AA or 560AA. THAT WILL DETERMINE TREAD LIFE to a vastly larger degree than sidewall.

Now, are there more 'performance' tires in the one size (and hence lower wear numbers) than another size? May be.

You can find pretty good speed rated tires with a 400AA rating- should be fine for M&D. Maybe even a treadlife warranty.

A

PS Edit- it is true that the wheel width will start reducing your choices as well- much less market for hard rubber in a M5 tire...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ard said:
Look at the number by the AA rating... like 180AA or 560AA. THAT WILL DETERMINE TREAD LIFE to a vastly larger degree than sidewall.

Now, are there more 'performance' tires in the one size (and hence lower wear numbers) than another size? May be.

You can find pretty good speed rated tires with a 400AA rating- should be fine for M&D. Maybe even a treadlife warranty.

A

PS Edit- it is true that the wheel width will start reducing your choices as well- much less market for hard rubber in a M5 tire...
Again, thanks for the info. That all makes sense. I will see what I can find for them in terms of AA rating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts