BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year all...been away from the board for a while, but I'm back!!! :cheers:

So my question to you all is this, I've noticed the outside edges of my front tires wear more than the rest of the tire...opposite is true for the rears. The center of the tire "seems" to have a decent amount of tread left, and neither the techs or my SA mentioned the need for new tires just yet...

Couple weekends ago I was coming back from Long Island and engaged in a little "spirited driving" with an X5 (which was moving pretty dam fast by the way...). In any case, approaching the Queens-Midtown tunnel at 140mph, cresting over a hill into standing traffic I needed to brake pretty hard to avoid a serious disaster...
Totally felt the car start to drift and the rear end start to slide...:wroom: Talk about white knuckle experience....:eek:h:

Thankfully I recovered her, and managed not to crap myself.

So getting back to my query, what's a good indicator that the tires need to be replaced??? I know they talk about using a penny to test tread depth and so on...but is there a more "scientific" way to assess??

I only put 8K miles/yr on her...mostly casual driving, but some fun stuff. Currently have Pilot Sports...suck when cold, but nice when warm. Thanks all.
Happy Motoring!!! :15:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
lsdvm;
First a question. Was the DSC off when the car went into the slide or was it on and trying to correct?

Re the tires, the front outsides wearing faster is common. Why else own the car if its not driven hard at times? This will wear the front outsides. The insides of the rears wear out first as well. If the excessive wear is in < 10k miles, you may have an alignment problem. If the tires make it to 20k, the alignment is probably OK. I would say on dry roads, you'd be fine until the cords start showing but that is not recommended. However, on wet roads, tread is essential. I normally play it safe and when two rows of groves are at the wear bars, I replace the tires.

·
Registered
115 Posts
lsdvm said:
I was coming back from Long Island and engaged in a little "spirited driving" with an X5 (which was moving pretty dam fast by the way...). In any case, approaching the Queens-Midtown tunnel at 140mph, cresting over a hill into standing traffic I needed to brake pretty hard to avoid a serious disaster... :15:
Isn't traffic a b*tch when you're out there getting on it? :crying:

I'm glad you're OK. BTW- I have the same wear pattern right now on my M; and I've been procrastinating about buying a set of PS2's. What are you going to buy?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Tires

Thanks for the input guys...yes, traffic anywhere near the city is a pain...and yes, the DSC was off...thankfully it wasn't worse...Phew!!!

As for replacing tires, the owner of the shop I take the M cars to just called today and is offering me Pilot Sports for $179/199 f/r mounted and balanced...:eek:
I don't think I can beat that.

I was thinking of upgrading to SO3's, Toyos, or something else before the phone call, but I think I may be sold. I've been procrastinating about replacing the tires on the M5, but again, no one at the dealership mentioned needing to do so when it was in for inspection 1.

It's been garaged for the winter, so I have a couple months to ponder the decision...hmmm

Cheers!

·
Registered
131 Posts

I've put Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on all four corners. She sticks like sh*t to a blanket now. In the dry i have to delibratley mess about to get the back end out now, understeer was dramatically reduced too.

lsdvm said:
Thanks for the input guys...yes, traffic anywhere near the city is a pain...and yes, the DSC was off...thankfully it wasn't worse...Phew!!!

As for replacing tires, the owner of the shop I take the M cars to just called today and is offering me Pilot Sports for $179/199 f/r mounted and balanced...:eek:
I don't think I can beat that.

I was thinking of upgrading to SO3's, Toyos, or something else before the phone call, but I think I may be sold. I've been procrastinating about replacing the tires on the M5, but again, no one at the dealership mentioned needing to do so when it was in for inspection 1.

It's been garaged for the winter, so I have a couple months to ponder the decision...hmmm

Cheers!

·
Registered
60 Posts

M5BHP,

I currently have P Zero Rosso's and need to replace soon. I've been reading threads re tires and it seems like a lot of board members are getting Bridgestone S-O3's. One member even indicated he didn't consider Pirellis to be racing tires ? I don't have any experience with any other tire except the stock Dunlops on my 540i. So what has been your experience with tires, and I imagine you recommend the Rosso's ?

Regards,
Edgar

M5BHP said:
I've put Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on all four corners. She sticks like sh*t to a blanket now. In the dry i have to delibratley mess about to get the back end out now, understeer was dramatically reduced too.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Both SO3s and Pirelli Rossos will out-perform the stock Dunlops. The SO3s have a slight edge over Pilot Sports in the wet. People report that Pilot Sport 2s are better than SO3s or the original Pilot Sports wet or dry. They are slightly "big" for their size, which doesn't really matter unless you're trying to squeeze rear wheels/tires into the front wheel wells (like on my car). The new e60 M5 runs on Continental Sport Contact 2s. I have them on my other car, and I'd rank them close to the SO3s but just under them in grip. They are slightly lighter in weight (good for acceleration) and slightly better in ride quality, or so they seem. So, if you're looking for best grip, and are running stock wheels/tire sizes, get the Pilot Sport 2s. If you want slightly better ride quality, or if you're afraid the PS2s won't fit, get the Continental Sport Contact 2s or SO3s. BTW, SO3s also run a bit large for their size, but I have them and know the rear size will fit the front wells. The one other tire I haven't mentioned is the Goodyear F1 GS D3. They run "small" for their size so fit is not a problem. People have reported good things about them. I'm not sure where they fall in the performance/ride spectrum but likely better than Dunlops and about on par or better in the wet than SO3s from what I hear.

Oh yeah, the one I forgot was Toyo T1-S. Bob Uenaka has them and says nothing but good things about them. They are nice and light, on average 4 lbs. less than a comparable SO3, so it's like getting a free set of lightweight wheels! :eek:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just put PS2's on a few weeks ago, & so far they seem to be a pretty big improvement over the PS1's. I'd tried SO3's, but didn't care much for them.

I'd go back to PS1's, though, if I could get them for that price!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Does anyone run Avons or is Avon a dirty word for tyres. A Yank company but previously British. I did run them on my E34 M5 and had some fun losing the back end on wet roundabouts not that 'er indoors likes me utilising the 'open road'.

Pip

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I'd tried SO3's, but didn't care much for them.
What didn't you like about them? They seem fine to me. Quieter and better riding than the original PS. People who've tried both say PS2s are better though.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I would recommend the Rosso's yes, but i've not had any experience with the bridgestones so i couldn't give you any comparison.

charronegro said:
M5BHP,

I currently have P Zero Rosso's and need to replace soon. I've been reading threads re tires and it seems like a lot of board members are getting Bridgestone S-O3's. One member even indicated he didn't consider Pirellis to be racing tires ? I don't have any experience with any other tire except the stock Dunlops on my 540i. So what has been your experience with tires, and I imagine you recommend the Rosso's ?

Regards,
Edgar

·
Registered
212 Posts
Need4Spd said:
What didn't you like about them? They seem fine to me. Quieter and better riding than the original PS. People who've tried both say PS2s are better though.
I was disappointed with both the wear & the traction (on the track, at least). I think I got 3, maybe 4 driving schools off of a set, and didn't trust their grip. I think that both the Pilot Sports & the PS2's provide much better grip, and better wear as well. Quietness is not at the top of my list of requirements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts