BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda stupid question but not owning M5 I was wondering how easy it's spin those huge back tires?
Do you have to play with the clutch or has the engine enough power to spin those tires even when the car is already moving?

-Juuso L.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
uhm, not that i would know or anything <grin>, but i've HEARD that it's quite easy to spin them. i mean, geezus, sometime you just do it on accident

--Dan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well just the slightest twich In your leg will spin the huge rubber In the rear, In 1st, 2nd and 3rd. (DSC turned off)

"00" Imola Red/ Red and Black

·
Registered
417 Posts
In one review a car magazine did on the M5, they said that launching the car at anything over 1500RPM would cause excessive wheelspin. It would be safe to assume that liquifying the tires is a walk in the park.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank: That's only when you're shifting?
I mean, can you just cruise 20mph with 1st gear on and then have wheel spin when kicking down?
And what's the max speed to do this?

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
It's really hard to spin the wheels when you have DSC turned on. When shifting through 1st 2nd and 3rd, the wheels just squeek a little, and DSC kicks in... With DSC off.. you can basically spin the wheels if you drop the clutch at 1st or 2nd over 2000rpm...

·
Registered
52 Posts
to answer the q - once 1st is engaged, with the dsc off, in a straight line, the tires won't spin much when you floor it. if you are turning around a slight corner, they will in first gear upto maybe 3000-4000 rpm.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Juuso,
I really don't think that is a great measurement of performance (is that what you are trying to figure out?) My Stillen Maxima can break free from its 235/45/ZR17 Toyo Proxes T1-S at almost any point in first gear by simply mashing down the gas pedal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ramses: Lately I saw few videos with these American cars from 60's (sorry, don't know make) and it seemed they could spin those tires whenever they floored it. Just curious how M5 acts here.
About your Maxima. Isn't Maxima front wheel drive? It's many times harder to spin back tires because all the weight is trasnferred on rear-axle when accelerating hard.

-Juuso L.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts