BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Through a series of unfortunate events, I was able to put a nice gash in the sidewall of my LF tire.
Fortunately, I'm planning to swap these wheels for 9.5's, but that may not happen for a while.
So, what do you think? It drives fine, but should I be concerned about blowing out the sidewall?

TIA.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not recommend you keep driving your car with a gash in the tyre. The pressure exerted on a tyre (especially on a car as powerful and heavy as an M5) is immence and could blow at any time. As safe as BMW's are, it's not worth risking your/your family's lives.

M-Fünf said:
Through a series of unfortunate events, I was able to put a nice gash in the sidewall of my LF tire.
Fortunately, I'm planning to swap these wheels for 9.5's, but that may not happen for a while.
So, what do you think? It drives fine, but should I be concerned about blowing out the sidewall?

TIA.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Jeff, we can't see the pics. Try using Shutterfly.com instead. Much better service anyway.

Back on topic. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk and just move up my plans for 9.5s. Blowouts are rare in modern tires, but the one circumstance where this could happen is if the sidewalls are already compromised.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need4Spd said:
Jeff, we can't see the pics. Try using Shutterfly.com instead. Much better service anyway.

Back on topic. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk and just move up my plans for 9.5s. Blowouts are rare in modern tires, but the one circumstance where this could happen is if the sidewalls are already compromised.
Need,
Thanks for the head's up on the pics...Can you see the ones below?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Yow! I can see the pic now. Walk, don't drive. We like you too much! :15: Seriously, if you choose to drive to a tire shop, go real slow.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
dsp888 said:
I posted the same question and got the same answers. I did get new tires and let me tell you, it was worth every penny, now I am no worry mate.
Good to hear you made it safely. You pictures were really scaring me!!!

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Wow! That's pretty bad! I have some gnashes in mine too but nowhere as bad as yours. It was because my rear fenders were not "rolled" far enough. I had it checked by the dealership and several tire shops. They all say that mine isn't deep enough to really affect matters and suggested that I leave it alone. But yours is way worse than mine so I'd change it soon. How did it happen anyways?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the concern, guys!

I don't think it's as bad as the pictures make it look, but I don't plan to chance it.

I had planned to swap front wheels anyways, and picked up boonielanders rear wheels on Saturday. Once I've got the tires for them, the rears will go on the front, and the "good" front will go in the trunk :M5thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.