BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the archives as well as the tire rack tests in search of the best performance tire for all around street driving. Tire rack rates the Michelin PS2 as #1,Very close behind is the Goodyear Eagle F1GSD3.Several threads have talked about the Toyo T1s ,but I have been unable to find any tests or comparisons. I run 245/35/19 in front and 275/30/19 in the rear.The performance of the PS2's and F1GSD3's is heavily documented. The T1s is not.The pricing for a set of four is as follows:
1.PS2 $1,254
2.F1GSD3 $1046
3.T1s $888
As you can see there is a considerable price diffrence between the three.
Based on personal experience how would you compare the three and which would you choose? :wroom:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have the Bridgestone Potenza S-O3 Pole Position. I also have 19 inch rims (275/30/19 up front and 285/30/19 in the rear) Its a wonderful tire in dry & wet weather conditions. Warms up fast. Do a search on the board and you will notice alot of members either run Michelins or Bridgestone S-O3

Regards,

Marion

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marion,Thanks for your thoughts. I am very surprised that no one else has any comments.Come on guys I need some help here! :wroom:

B

·
0 Posts
I would go with the PS2s. They have proven themselves to be the best for the M5. The PS1s before them were also the top tire at the time. This is an easy one.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can't comment on Goodyear.
I have run Michelin Pilot Sports on OEM wheels on my 94 Toyota Supra Turbo. Very good tire - very progressive, communicative at the limits of adhesion. I imagine that's similar to the PS2's... But while I LIKE Michelin tires, they are one of the more expensive tires.

I recently put Toyo RA1's on my 91 MR2 Turbo. It would probably not be fair to draw conclusions on T1S vs RA1s, but this is my first set of Toyos, and I haven't had that many miles on this, so I'll abstain from commenting here.

I've put quite a few miles on Bridgestone S02's and BFG Goodrich T/A KDs.
Best dry traction, for a non R compound tire is the BFG over everything else. It's got it's drawbacks though - it's not exactly a quiet tire, and the directional aspect is a bit of a PITA. Bridgestone S02's are pretty much a great compromise between performance and noise and price. I think the S03's are very similar.

Not sure this helps you - but I guess I'd agree the Michelins are a known good tire - everyone on the board seems to have good things to say about PS2's, and frankly - I'll probably put those on my M5 when these Dunlops need replacing. However, you are going to pay for it. I can't speak to Goodyears, and I haven't seen too much on Toyo's street tires.

Cheers,
-Darryl

forflynlow said:
I have searched the archives as well as the tire rack tests in search of the best performance tire for all around street driving. Tire rack rates the Michelin PS2 as #1,Very close behind is the Goodyear Eagle F1GSD3.Several threads have talked about the Toyo T1s ,but I have been unable to find any tests or comparisons. I run 245/35/19 in front and 275/30/19 in the rear.The performance of the PS2's and F1GSD3's is heavily documented. The T1s is not.The pricing for a set of four is as follows:
1.PS2 $1,254
2.F1GSD3 $1046
3.T1s $888
Based on personal experience how would you compare the three and which would you choose? :wroom:

·
Registered
842 Posts
forflynlow said:
1.PS2 $1,254
2.F1GSD3 $1046
I've run the two mentioned above and I'll score them both just the same as Tire Rack did. These are both great tires.

The F1GSD3's were much better than the PS1's I had before and the PS1's were much, much better than ANYTHING I had on the M5 before that but the PS2's are simply best of all. (though, I'm sure you'd be happy with the GSD3's, too)

Derek

·
Registered
117 Posts
forflynlow said:
Marion,Thanks for your thoughts. I am very surprised that no one else has any comments.Come on guys I need some help here! :wroom:
I'm in the same boat you are as far as tires go. I think I am going to go ahead and get the T1-S'. I will keep reading here just to see what everyone else has to say about all of the tires you mentioned too. Thanks! :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
djo715 said:
I've put quite a few miles on Bridgestone S02's and BFG Goodrich T/A KDs. Best dry traction, for a non R compound tire is the BFG over everything else. It's got it's drawbacks though - it's not exactly a quiet tire, and the directional aspect is a bit of a PITA. Bridgestone S02's are pretty much a great compromise between performance and noise and price. I think the S03's are very similar.
I have a set of the KDs on one of my cars and they do grip, hands down the best non-R tire in respect to handling. They really stick. It is much harder to get the tires to spin taking off too. They can get a bit slick in the wet, and I don't have the guts (I might say stupidity) to take them out in the snow/ice, but I can't imagine them doing well. They also ride a bit rough as there appears to be very little sidewall flex in them. The directional aspect... I don't really see it as a pain since you aren't supposed to swap radials side to side anyway. You just have to watch to make sure they get mounted right and put on the correct side of the car. I haven't noticed a noise issue, but then again, the car I have them on is a bit... LOUD. They don't seem to be any louder than the Goodyear Eagle F1s I had before (in fact, they are quieter than the F1s after 10k miles). I wouldn't put them on a M unless it was for special events, they ride a bit too rough.

A note on the F1s.. I would seriously pass. I found them slick, especially as they started to get some time on them. In the wet they were scary. The worst tires I have ever had. Maybe the newer ones are better... but I don't think I will try.

A close 2nd is the S03.

Definately go PS2 or PS1.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
vndkshn said:
A note on the F1s.. I would seriously pass. I found them slick, especially as they started to get some time on them. In the wet they were scary. The worst tires I have ever had. Maybe the newer ones are better... but I don't think I will try.

A close 2nd is the S03.

Definately go PS2 or PS1.
I replaced worn out P1's with the F1 and think they are phenominal. Car has tons of stick. I don't notice any road noise, I have about 10k miles on them. I like the PS2's a little better because they are not unidirectional and theoretically should be quieter, but were not out when I bought the F1's. Given the price difference, it is a close call.
I have used S02's on other cars and found it to be a very good tire also. The S03's have a little more stick, but on other boards I am a member of there are a lot of complaints that the S03's get slippery after a few track heat cycles.
Haven't used the T1's but I use RA1's on the 2002 race car and find it a great balance between traction, longevity and price. Unless you pound the car hard on the street, I don't Toyos are a bad way to go given the $$$ involved. Nice thing about the M5, if you don't like your tires, just wait 20k miles and try something else!!! :1:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
842 Posts
vndkshn said:
You must not have had the GSD3's, which are very good tires in the wet.
(I've run through six sets of different types of tires on my M5 in 58,000 miles and the majority of that driving has been in wet conditions - the F1 GSD3's are excellent wet traction tires)

Derek

·
Registered
92 Posts
vndkshn said:
The directional aspect... I don't really see it as a pain since you aren't supposed to swap radials side to side anyway. You just have to watch to make sure they get mounted right and put on the correct side of the car. I haven't noticed a noise issue, but then again, the car I have them on is a bit... LOUD. They don't seem to be any louder than the Goodyear Eagle F1s I had before (in fact, they are quieter than the F1s after 10k miles). I wouldn't put them on a M unless it was for special events, they ride a bit too rough.
Actually - I should clarify. Availability of those directional tires is a PITA. I had to wait over a month for a 285/30YR18 Left. So either avoid potholes, and flats! or pick up a second set (i.e. 4 tires) for spares. I'm not sure they should go on an M5 either.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Bridgestone REO50A is now looked at as better than the s03's and ferrari is running them on a few cars, so i'd check them out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts