BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my stock 2002 M5 and under hard acceleration and/or weight in the back seat (one person) the rear tire rubs the fender well. When I purchased the car from the dealer I noticed the rear tire was cut and he stated the tires and wheels came off another car. I had him put the car on a lift and saw that the bracket for the swar bar had been recently replaced (the service records showed this as well), so I figured the problem had been fix if he was lying about the change in tires and wheels with another car.

What should I be look for to fix this problem? I don't want the dealer to screw me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
The first thing to check is to ensure you have OEM M5 wheels on the car as opposed to replicas. I think some early M5's might have had some light rubbing that was the subject of a service note? Someone else should chime in here. However, I would think it odd if I had any major situation like you describe. Has the car been in a wreck prior?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the rims are OEM and the standard size tires as well. The car has not be wrecked to my knowledge. I traded a 1999 540/6 in on the 2002 M5 and it did the same thing, even after I replaced the 540 stock shock with Belsteins. It only does it on the drivers side and I weight only about 220lbs., so that should not be and issue:) .

·
Registered
159 Posts
CMBeamerM5 said:
Yes the rims are OEM and the standard size tires as well. The car has not be wrecked to my knowledge. I traded a 1999 540/6 in on the 2002 M5 and it did the same thing, even after I replaced the 540 stock shock with Belsteins. It only does it on the drivers side and I weight only about 220lbs., so that should not be and issue:) .
Has the fender lips been rolled? if not that will probably cure your problem.
Boz

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Boz....but being that the car is stock and the tires and rims are stock, one would think that this is a mechanical problem of which there has to a means to correct without having to go to those extremes.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
CMBeamerM5,

Are you in Raleigh?

Chuck

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
stock fenders come rolled, are you sure the springs/shocks arn't just shot, and when you take off it's dumping.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Early cars needed more fender rolling. I seem to recall a TSB on this but don't have it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Charlotte, Chuck in Raleigh.

I would hope it is not the shocks and/or Struts...the car has only 46,000 miles on it. By the post I've received, I must be only one that has this problem so I'm not going to be very happy with my BMW dealer.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I would hope it is not the shocks and/or Struts
They're not a substitute for fender rolling anyway. There should be no interference for the entire suspension travel. But fyi, by 50k miles, stock struts/dampers will have lost their effectiveness for performance handling. They still pass the bounce test and work for around town driving but will be somewhat floaty feeling. Konis are the brand of choice for straight replacement.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
CMBeamerM5 said:
......By the post I've received, I must be only one that has this problem so I'm not going to be very happy with my BMW dealer.
I also had the rubbing issue on the driver's rear with rear passengers and while going over any substantial irregularity in the road. Here's a link to my earlier thread on the same issue.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35691

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm going to be rolling my rear fender lips with the Eastwood tool next week. I'll take some photos and post them if I deem them to be sufficiently interesting.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
When I purchased the car 2 months ago, I had the dealer put the car up and a lift and noticed the swar bar mount had been recently replaced...so, it maybe that the problem is now the shocks because it does pitch a little more than I would like it to in hard cornering.

Would a good set of aftermarket sway bars be worth the investment?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
CMBeamerM5 said:
When I purchased the car 2 months ago, I had the dealer put the car up and a lift and noticed the swar bar mount had been recently replaced...so, it maybe that the problem is now the shocks because it does pitch a little more than I would like it to in hard cornering.

Would a good set of aftermarket sway bars be worth the investment?

Thanks.

Just put that money to a new suspension and new brackets

1 - 15 of 15 Posts